Epher's Guardians of the Covenant - Vows Complete!

Epher

I'm just getting into the hobby.  I have been lurking on the site for a while.  For my first army, I decided to go with the Dark Angels.  I am fan of their fluff and the Deathwing.  I have decided to go with Gaurdians of the Covenant because of the robes and their colors.  Metal power armour and red robes?  You can't go wrong with that.  I managed to hit pay dirt at Christmas and scored a Dark Vengeance set.  I have also managed to procure more DA armies from DV. 

I have started painting now have a good start on a few tactical squads.  Here's what my first units look like.  I have yet to highlight and I am missing some details but I would appreciate all your comments, querries, critisism and complaints (Did I miss any?).

There are two tactical squads each with 1 veteran sargeant, 5 tac marines and 1 plasma cannon.  In the foreground are the company master and librarian.  All the models are un-modified.  I am using the DA emblem on the pauldrons.  I know it's not propper for the sub-chapter but I will save the crossed swords for the elites.

IMG_0428.JPG

Here is one of the veteran sargeants.  He has been slightly modified, as in his head is turned a little.  You can have a better view of the marines.

IMG_0430.JPG

Welcome to another Guardians player! Looks like a great start - I like that you've chosen one of the more complicated company markings on the kneepad - I chose the 3rd company, as the simplest possible.

The colour scheme - and the relative ease of painting it - is one of the things that drew me to the army. Metal power armour is uncomplicated to paint (a dark silver base coat, Nuln Oil wash, and a light drybrush) and the red atop looks very striking.

My Guardians have more of a blood/crimson red robes - I really like the more mauve tone you've chosen as a base.

Keep the updates coming!

Welcome to the Rock Epher. Your models look great so keep at it.

What are you intending to do with their bases as I could see a dark gray urban rubble theme working well with the Guardians' colour scheme.

Cheers

I

Thanks for the welcomes!  I liked the 5th company markings, it was a bit of a challenge to get the lines right.  Some look better than others.  The Leadbelcher base is easy to go on and then washed in Nuln Oil.  That part is pretty easy.  I used Khorne Red for the robes and details.  The red was painted over black primer. I intended to highlight with some layers to brighten it up but I am liking the look of it too.  I think I may just use the Khorne red instead and see how that goes.

I do like the looks of the urban rubble bases but I am not sure how to go about making them or which style I like the best.  The plan now is to get my army into a playable state.  So base coats and washes on everything with some detailing.  So far I have two squads of DV terminators with base coats and washes.  I am going for the bose white in honour of the traditions of our founding chapter but with red robes and highlights.  I have another DV set that going to be a command squad with TH and SS.  I have a Belial conversion in the works as long with a Terminator Librarian conversion too.

What I am trying to get done now is my bike squads.  I have converted one sargeant into a biker librarian and then there is a squad of 5.  They will be painted with black bikes and metal power armour.  I am saving the black power armour and black bikes for the Black Knights.  Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest update.  This is my first attempt at basing.

What are you intending to do with their bases as I could see a dark gray urban rubble theme working well with the Guardians' colour scheme.

Isiah, is this what you were thinking of for an urban rubble color scheme?  I was going for the ruined road feel for the Ravenwing.  This is my first conversion as well.  It's the DV Biker Librarian Special.  I still have some detailing left on the model but it is coming along well.

Nameless Biker Librarian from the front:

IMG_0090.JPG

Nameless Biker Librarian alternate view:

IMG_0093.JPG

The plan is to have enough Librarians to run a decent Libraius Conclave.  It looks good on paper but the cost in points seems way too steep.

Nice. Yep urban rubble: greys and blacks with either grey or black base edge.

The road theme looks awesome sauce. The mounting angle makes the model look very dynamic. Impressive if it's your first attempt :tu:.

Cheers

I

Thanks for the complements, guys.  Believe it or not but it is my first base ever.  I have watched lots of tutorial videos on YouTube.  I used HO scale cork rail bed to create the asphalt and scratched up the surface with an awl/punch.  As for the dirt... 18kg bag of traction sand for $5, I don't think I will ever run out.

Picking a color scheme for the librarians has been difficult.  Red robes and blue armour?  Hey, it's old school 3d!  So the first guy was silver power armour with blue accents and red robes and the mounted libby gets all silver power armour and blue robes.  I am working on a Deathwing librarian conversion... what color will he be?

Coming up next will be bases for the Company Master and Power Armour Librarian. Stay tuned!

So here they are... Company Master and Librarian.  It may look like the CM is floating, I wanted to wait a while for the paint to fully dry before mounting them to the bases. 

For the CM there is an I-beam and some tubing.  The Libby got some Chaos shrapnel. There is a pauldron fragment and part of a back pack.  It is hard to get the lighting to really capture the detail.  I may have to do some highlighting on the I-beam to draw some attention to it.  I am pretty stoked with the results.  I still have to paint the edges of the base but I felt that I needed to share these.

This one captures the details in the Company Master's base better.

IMG_0108.JPG

Here you can see the details in the Libby better.

IMG_0109.JPG

I like the HQ bases. A bit of height always helps them stand out when they're surrounded by other marines and adds to the intimidation factor. A bit of highlighting on the I beam couldn't hurt but to be honest I wouldn't worry about it the whole bases works like it is :)

Thanks for the feedback Shortsol.  I think I will leave the I beam as is. 

So here's pretty what I have left to paint:

IMG_0079.JPG

Pretty much all of it, eh?  It's a pretty decent starting point but if you are looking for details this is what I have:

HQ:

Company Master

Librarian

Biker Librarian

Interrogator Chaplain

Belial Conversion

TDA Librarain

Troops:

3x 10 man squad with 1 plasmagun for each

1x Rhino

Elites:

1x Vet Squad/Command Squad

2x DV Terminator Squads

1x Terminator Command Squad

1x Deathwing Knights

1x Land Raider Crusader

Fast Attack

1x 6 Man Bike Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns

1x Landspeeder Tempest

Heavy:

1x Plasma Devastator Squad

I feel my army is lacking in some places (and I am not just talking paint).  There isn't much for anti-aircraft; the Tempest has TL ML on an air to air mount.  Nor is there much to deal with heavy armour.  I can reduce one of the Tac Squads and create a ML Devastator Squad for dealing with heavies or fliers.  I have in my budget for at best a Dreadnaught.  Thoughts as to the next investment?  Here is what I was thinking:

Dreadnought

Convert to Mortis with dual TL Lascannons, decent for air and good for armour.

Attack Bike (might be able to swing 2)

Arm with Multimelta, hide with a pack of bikes and get close and personal.  May also be underestimated as a threat.

No air support.

Landspeeder

Can deep strike into a pack of bikes with the Biker Libby and PFG.  Arm with 2 multimeltas.  Can arm with Typhoon ML.

Not good for air and can make for an easy target.

Razorback TL Lascannon

Because metal boxes for troops are good.

Wow you're certainly not short of things to paint. 

I find ML dev squad are pretty good for anti flyers, you can pump out a lot of shots if you're fielding 4 ML and they're still a threat if you're opponent doesn't have any fliers. Land speeders can be good but they go can go down in flames pretty quickly. A razor back could be good for a bit of extra mobility plus if you don't glue the hatch down its a simple weapon swap and you've got a Rhino.

Keep up the good work.

It is definately a long road ahead for painting but that is one of the things that I love about the hobby.  It's nice to sit down after a long day in the books, put on some tunes and toil away.  I plan on finishing another 10 man squad this weekend and perhaps a squad of devastators with plasma cannons.  I think I will be constructing the ML devs next.  I got three ML's but I don't have the same shoulder pads available as the rest of the army.  I like to keep things consistent.

I think a Razorback is the way to go.  It's a cheap way to get some Lascannons on the board and the mobility is a good thing too. 

Thanks for the advice, Shortsol!

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to a decision... next purchase will be a Mortis Dreadnought!  I am going to have some fun getting the parts to make it a dual TL lascannon model.

But here is the latest update: kit bashing my DV Terminators.  The plan is to have an assault squad and TH & SS for all!  The plan will be to divide them up with the other squads of Terminators.  I think I will leave the model with the chain fist alone and I may have to hack at one of my base coated twins to make five.  This is what I have so far... thoughts?

From the front:

IMG_0241.JPG

And to the side:

IMG_0243.JPG

Now the break down of bits:

IMG_0244.JPG

Lovely models. Can I suggest you go for a slightly richer skin tone for the bare headed marines? The reason I suggest it is that the colour son the rest of the model currently draw attention away from the face and a little more depth and blending there would really help make the models 'pop'. Not a big deal, but something you might consider to really bring them to the next level.

Guardians are my favorite successor chapter, I may paint some up eventually vut for now I'm doing standard colors.

You are off to a good start, but I think your models would benefit from an ink wash to really bring out the details.  Wash the entire model in Agrax Earthshade (or better yet, Army Painter Strong Tone) and wick away any areas where it's pooled.  This would add shading to areas where black-lining would be difficult (such as the raised chapter details on the characters) as well as differentiate between adjacent areas of very different color (like the keys against the waist).

I would also recommend filling the front of the Chapter Master's base under his feet with something - another thin layer of cork or gravel or something - as it looks like he's floating.  When mounting models like this on flat bases without a slot, I find it better to just cut away the entire tab, rather than trying to make a slot in the base.  Or even just leave pegs under the feet and use them to pin it to holes drilled in the base.  I hope my advice is helpful.

Lovely models. Can I suggest you go for a slightly richer skin tone for the bare headed marines? The reason I suggest it is that the colour son the rest of the model currently draw attention away from the face and a little more depth and blending there would really help make the models 'pop'. Not a big deal, but something you might consider to really bring them to the next level.

Thanks for the tips, Gillyfish.  I used Ushabti Bone for skin tones because that's all that I had at the time.  It turned out ok but I agree with you, it doesn't really pop with the colors of the models.  I  have yet to do any highlighting.  I want to but it's a time thing at this point.  The plan is to get a decent looking force of 1500 points or so and then start detailing.  Perhaps it's a backwards way of doing it.

Guardians are my favorite successor chapter, I may paint some up eventually vut for now I'm doing standard colors.

You are off to a good start, but I think your models would benefit from an ink wash to really bring out the details.  Wash the entire model in Agrax Earthshade (or better yet, Army Painter Strong Tone) and wick away any areas where it's pooled.  This would add shading to areas where black-lining would be difficult (such as the raised chapter details on the characters) as well as differentiate between adjacent areas of very different color (like the keys against the waist).

I would also recommend filling the front of the Chapter Master's base under his feet with something - another thin layer of cork or gravel or something - as it looks like he's floating.  When mounting models like this on flat bases without a slot, I find it better to just cut away the entire tab, rather than trying to make a slot in the base.  Or even just leave pegs under the feet and use them to pin it to holes drilled in the base.  I hope my advice is helpful.

Some of my models have gotten a wash with Nuln Oil.  I don't think that it turned out that great, I must have been doing something wrong.  It's not the same effect as I got with washing the terminators in Agrax Earthshade.  That CM has been giving me grief.  He does not want to stay on his base.  I'm going to follow your advice and get rid of that tab.  What type of glue do you use to stick your models to their painted bases?  My CM stands upon painted cork.

Part of getting a good shading effect with a wash is using the right tone.  Nuln Oil (or Army Painter Dark Tone) is good for white metals and for making cool colors (blues, greens, etc) look darker.  If you use it on warm colors like red or yellow (or warm metals like gold) it often just looks dirty.  That might be an effect you want (oil streaks or grime on a vehicle) but usually you are better off shading those colors with Agrax (or Army Painter Strong Tone).  For flesh, use a flesh wash - you can achieve different effects depending upon the base skin color you use.  A soft tone or sepia might be used for other, more subtle effects.

As for the bases, I typically seal the cork with a thin layer of white glue and paint upon that.  I mount figures on that type of base using super glue.  However, it's not a very durable surface to stick a figure to, so I'd recomend pinning the model to the base.  Drill a narrow hole in the base, and one in each foot of the model, then superglue a narrow metal rod (a piece of paperclip works fine, but use eye protection when cutting it with snips!) and glue that into the base as well.

If you need more info on washes or pinning, I can try to find you some good links.

Thanks, Ulfgrim.  That's a lot of good tips and I will have to put them to use!  I will definately be pinning that company master.  There is no need for him toppling over prematurely in battle.

So here's a little update on the Mortis... It should be in early next week but I managed to get a jump on the auto cannons.  Fresh from the printer:

AutoCan1.jpeg

We'll see how well it takes the paint!

I can't claim the modeling as my own but I did get these 3D printed.  I am taking engineering and I have access to some pretty sick printers.  The lines and imperfections are from the CAD program converting the model into a "printable file" and not from the resin printer itself.  Two days until my dreadnought drop pods down to my local shop!!  I cannot wait.  I have already primed these bad boys with Imperial Primer.  For the next mortis it will be the spray variety...

It's funny.  It is the end of the term so there is lots to do and no time to model up some parts but when I will have the time, I won't really have access to it until September.  All have been doing lately has been studying and shovelling snow.  Even my dreadnought has been delayed in getting here.

Archived