Epher's Guardians of the Covenant - Vows Complete!

Epher

I have finally finished the chaplain but not in the time frame that I wanted.  The plan was to do a third vow but that is not going to happen.  I like to base my models for the ETL but I will have to do that after all of the models are painted.

@Raztalin:  Thanks!

@Worsey: Most of the model was assembled but some of the parts for the pictures were held in place by sticky tack.  The crozius, back pack, front fairings and head were not glued and the left arm is magnetized so I can swap out the MoR for a bolt pistol or something else.  I have to agree that painting the modely by pieces is much easier and you are able to paint all the small details but I have found that it takes me longer to paint each model.  So I have to strike a balance between the two. 

@MG:  It was a little extra work to the the pad looking right but well worth it in the end!  Thanks for your comments!

So a few points on the fine nameless chaplain... I tried to paint a power weapon lightening effect on the mace.  It was kind of an after thought and it was poorly executed.  I think I am going to paint it back to gold.  I botched the white reflection dot in the left eye and had to touch it up.  I could not get it looking the way it should after that.  I think the smoke on the brazier turned out well and so did the mounting brackets for the crozius.  Over all I am quite pleased with this conversion!

Six more bikes to go.  For the Lion and Mortikah!

28387214860_db88e14f70_c.jpg

28593387881_89df38b348_c.jpg

28565144112_d37a7dc9ae_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the comments.  I really liked how he turned out.  Now for the update and a WIP pic.  So this is the state of my command squad.  I have four knights to finish six knights.  Should be possible but close!  When is the actual end time of the ETL?

28753713492_92c4fe0727_z.jpg

Epher, I am really loving that Chaplain - the shoulderpad and brazier are really unique and are nice "features" of the model - good work.  ETL fininshes on 15th Aug, not sure what time though...

Some progress has been made.  I have three models done with the other three in need of some highlighting and detailing.  So about four hours worth of painting.  I should be able to manage that before the 15th.  So here are the three models finished.  They are not based yet but that will be done next week.  I am thinking of making a display board and tying the bases in for the upcoming Armies on Parade at my local GW.  So here are the pics!  C&C is always welcome!

RW Chamion (Thought I would add the auspex anyways because it looks cool.  I can also use the model as a Huntsmaster too.)

28852470752_0e40c21925_z.jpg

28956837815_ea074f92c1_z.jpg

Black Knight 1

28671418170_aaa2660b33_z.jpg

28340790713_17ed06cdc6_z.jpg

Black Knight 2 (This one is a DV conversion.  It is really easy with the front fairing and grenade launcher.)

28852593882_c5ded1ae7d_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have some big plans for the fall.  I am going to make a display board for the Armies on Parade at my local GW.  I figure I will get a bit of each wing on the board to show off the color of my Guardians of the Covenant.  Looking at the board and thinking of the colors on the bases makes me think of a rocky waste land.  Should make for an interest project.  The good news is that I have a week off at the end of the month that I could use to complete this.  It also makes me realize that I have some finishing up to do on some of my models.

The plan is shape and smooth the foam into some rocks, hills and cliffs.  I will have to make some more rocks out of my molds and use the same materials that I used on my minis.  Keeping the same color palate should tie everything in nicely.  Here is a picture of my tentative layout.  I think I may have to lower the top platform where the speeders are at, the back two look very high.  Do you think it will look too cluttered?

28763520344_afec005aff_c.jpg

Looking great, brother! I agree with the back steps being a bit high but they are Land Speeders, after all. Maybe stagger the Speeders - the top-left one being a bit lower / higher than the top-right one and so on. Also, as we are talking about height, I would like to see the Knights from the Land Raider about to go down a hill. You said you are going to shape the hills and such but I'm getting excited already happy.png!

They look great all on one board like that. I am envious!

Mehman!! It's always good to hear from you, brother!  I would have to agree with all of your points but I went and switched up the sides so I hope I have captured it a little better.  The knights need to feel that they are rushing into battle.  Now that I am thinking of it, perhaps they need to be more in the center.  I took another picture with some modifications to the terrain and layout.  I am thinking that it looks too cluttered and heavy on the left but at least in the photo you can see the different levels.  Here is the pic!

29359873986_feeea4870b_b.jpg

Also this will be my inspiration for the terrain (this is not my pic):

badlands-004.jpg

The photo that inspired your idea doesn't seem to be working for me. I had hoped to see it so that I might steal some motivation for the Clerics. Ah well.

Anyway, I believe you're spot on about it being a little left heavy. Maybe have the Land Raider there on the left but have the Knights charging down the middle. Not so much in front of the speeding... er, Speeders... Well, that's certainly a great view of the levels you have, to change the subject laugh.png. No, seriously though, I think you're correct in your centering idea for the Knights. Perhaps the Veterans can move a touch to the right?

Well, my most beloved Unforgiven brother, expect to see more of me (and have to listen to me tongue.png) - the hiatus is over. I say "hiatus" but that word could be turned into "sabbatical" just as easily as wrestling a bull grox to the ground. I've seen things since my departure; great and mighty but also low and disturbing. The important thing is that maybe some of those things were memorized and can be produced again.

Mehman... the hiatus is over? Most excellent!  'Cause you know what this forum needs? More cowbell CLERICS!!

I have done some more cutting and arranging of the layout but I haven't posted anything yet.  Really, I should have taken a picture before I put it all away but I will say that the land raider looks better in the middle.  I also have realized that it is going to take a fair amount of time to sculpt the roam into the rocks.  I will have to fix the link to the picture. It was very pretty. 

I finally got around to basing my bikes.  I am also trying another photo set up.  One of these days I am going to have to invest in a light box but if I did that then everyone would be able to see all the flaws in the paint.  Anyways, here is the my second ETL vow based!

29376758572_f9c6c785b1_b.jpg

29376775742_48f1900672_b.jpg

29376826242_79dd033e7a_b.jpg

29376826242_79dd033e7a_b.jpg

29451150596_24983612e5_c.jpg

29376873002_ec1b9743c3_c.jpg

29485466885_d41d5a9329_c.jpg

29376871452_6a70ba3eec_c.jpgBlack Knights 1 by

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it has been a few months of painting neglect and the epic Armies on Parade display board was not made. sad.png Things got a little too busy. I must say that my son does have a pretty killer Halloween costume.

I was quite happy to see the Covenant of Caliban painting challenge. It was the kick in the butt that I needed to dust off the paint brushes and have a go at my Imperial Knight. I started painting it over a year ago and it was too far along for the ETL challenge. So this was the perfect time to get this done! As seen in the CoC thread, here is the before picture and after is the current WIP. I was thinking of painting it black as a Free Blade but after seeing Tygwyn's red IK I had a change of heart. I am going for a Khorne Red base which is the same red that I use for my GotC robes and vehicles. The half black pauldrons also ties back to the GotC. I have a plan for the decals which will also involve some free hand work. I have a little more than two more weeks to go! C&C is always welcome!

Before:

30342861925_2274777112_c.jpg

Current Progress:

30552457642_bd53b19d5f_c.jpg

So one vow complete!  I thought I would get the push on my champion since I know that I could get him done in time.  I was thinking that he would be a champion but our vet squads and command squads cannot take jump packs.  Since he has the wings and fancy jump pack he would make a better Company Master instead of a veteran sergeant.  The arms are magnetized so I can swap out the sword for thunder hammer or the shield for a storm bolter or what ever is needed.  

Tactically speaking, I can pair him up with Charon and they can join a fully loaded assault squad in order to bring some hurt to the table.  I think Lothar will be getting a thunder hammer to help him out.  He is also a member of the Deathwing since he bears the Crux Terminatus and the broken blade on his right knee.  The red portions on the helmet are new to my chapter paint scheme and signify veteran status.  He has the wings, they are there because they look cool.  They are much better proportioned to my jump chaplain and the Sanguinary Guards that that they came from.  

As far as modelling goes, it was pretty straight forward.  The sword was tricky to line up with the handle.  The decals for the crossed swords took a lot of tries to make it look decent.  The wings mounted with relative ease.  I tried some gold trimming and I think it looked better on the right shoulder pad versus the shield.  Company masters should have more robes but everyone knows that robes and jump packs do not mix!

The arms are magnetized so I can swap out the sword for thunder hammer or the shield for a storm bolter or what ever is needed.  As far as Lothar's role in the GotC goes, he cannot be part of a command squad or veteran's squad.  He will be the Master of the 5th Company.  I can pair him up with Charon who also ha

Now lets see if I can finish the knight in time!

Here's Lothar!

30706628242_b3bfcae651_z.jpg

30188530663_332fbf70d1_z.jpg

30188574693_cfd5cb82d7_z.jpg

30706677092_10b64098aa_z.jpg

I really like Lothar, he looks really good! I think the gold trim on the shield is a very nice touch, but I do think that you could tighen it up with sharp corners instead of rounded ones, unless you want to pull the corners into rounded filigree (which could also be really good, and not all Unforgiven have to be plainly styled or utilize the same markings). I like the wings on an assault platform Company Master, but I think I would have gone for some black wings for an Unforgiven. I really like the engine glow you have given him, it's a very nice touch, that helm is always aces to me, and the pose is great!

Archived