Epher's Guardians of the Covenant - Vows Complete!

Epher

• 3 weeks later...

"The Death Star will be completed on schedule."

gallery_83962_10975_90449.jpg

I know they look a little pink but it is the camera, I swear! The lighting makes them a little flushed too. Better pics to follow! It is the big push before the end of the ETL!

Those Deathwing Knights are looking great! The shading really makes the bone pop. What will you be using to shade the red? Anything exotic like purple or blue or just some standard Nuln Oil? Never can have enough painting recipes msn-wink.gif!

More pictures, please!

Those Deathwing Knights are looking great! The shading really makes the bone pop. What will you be using to shade the red? Anything exotic like purple or blue or just some standard Nuln Oil? Never can have enough painting recipes msn-wink.gif!

More pictures, please!

Thanks, Mehman! These guys have been taking me a little longer than expected to complete but it is all good. I won't be using anything too exotic to shade the Khorne Red, just some Carroburg Crimson. It has worked well for my Vet Command Squad and Dreadnought too. I like to keep it consistent. I will be using some better lighting and different camera for the final pics.

That reminds me of a Bloodletter I painted once. It was right after the paints got new labels and tints in 2011, I believe. Anyway, it went something like this:

Khorne Red base

Carroburg Crimson shade

Terminatus Stone drybrush

Bloodletter Glaze

No idea why I'm posting that but, hey, there you go. I'll be interested in your final pictures to see the shading on the cloth since I usually use Nuln Oil. Maybe you'll make a believer out of me.

Since you're doing a GotC thread, let me get your impressions on this idea:

Say there's been a rift within the Chapter over certain documents deemed almost heretical. The books and treatises are nothing that important but they deal with Daemons. There are those on the side of one Company Master who thinks they should be studied further while the other side, the greater majority of the Chapter, says otherwise. Could this create a schism vast enough to warrant another Chapter to be formed, seeing as these brothers' fascination with the collection in no way subverts the teachings of the Chapter, the Lion, and the Emperor?

I would like your feedback on that, if you will, and anyone else's, for that matter.

Thanks for the paint recipe.  Is the Terminatus Stone drybrush a grey color?  I have been using Ceramite White for the white details.  I find the contrast between the red and the white really pops.  I tend to leave by reds with just the two steps.  The result is a deep red with a darker red recesses.  I haven't done any highlights.  Honestly, I leave it that way as I like the look of it as is and I am afraid to make it worse by messing up the highlighting.  Believe it or not but this is my first attempt at layering with the Ushabti Bone.

You have an interesting start to a successor chapter.  I haven't read much of the fluff yet so I do not know if there is any precedent set yet.  I like your take on it and think you should roll ahead.  Just one thing to clear up... These documents... they are almost heretical?  That would seem serious to me.  Shouldn't heretics be made to repent and then killed?  If this schism is bad enough then it may warrant a purge by death.  I would think that in the minds of these warrior monks that almost heresy would equal heresy.  It could make for an interesting story but it sounds like you do not want to take it that far.  If you remove the term heresy, there is more than enough room for sufficient conflict to break apart a chapter without everyone wanting to kill each other. 

Those are my thoughts.  You are more than free to take or leave some or all of it!

The Terminatus Stone is a very light grey colour. The red glaze over it and the rest of whatever you're painting really brings the model together. No need to thank me, but you're welcome msn-wink.gif. If this is your first attempt with Ushabti Bone then congratulations are in order, mate. Huzzah happy.png!

Yeah, I'm not sure about the pseudo-heretical documents, to be honest. This is where I need more work on the genesis of the Clerics as I have thoughts but they're not connected. You're right. The heresy stuff is a bit much. I'm glad I asked and got your thoughts on it before it was set in stone. Silly Guardians of the Covenant...they'd shoot me dead in a second.

Well, continue on, good sir. Remember: never be afraid to mess up a paint job with new highlighting techniques or something. Just have a test model about and you'll be fine biggrin.png.

I will have to try that technique.  It sounds like it would look awesome on the red robes.  Usually, I don't mind making mistakes as they do seem to frequent my days (one of the latest ones involved the replacement of my car wind shield).  But with the impending deadline for the ETL, there is no time for mistakes since I still have a squad of bikes that only has primer on them. 

Heresy, such a strong word in these times.  That aside, I am looking forward to reading more about the Clerics!

How'd you get the bony color? Picked up some Knights myself and was looking for a way to get a nice bone color such as yours.

Thanks, Cloud Sensei!  I found a good YouTube tutorial for a start but I will share my method.  I am also sure there may be faster ways to do this too but this is what I did:

I started with the Citadel white primer spray cans and then applied a base coat of Zandri Dust.  Next, I did a fairly heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade.  I think it may have been a bit too heavy at times.  For the layering I used Ushabti Bone but I watered it down a lot.  I applied thin layers of the Ushabti Bone to all of the flat spots and ridges and left the recesses dark.  I also tried to apply more thin layers the farther away from the darker parts as a way to give the armour more depth.  You can then highlight with Screaming Skull if you like.

I hope this helps!

Utterly divine, my brother! I can feel the spray of blood from the Traitors as I type. As I've said before, your bone armour is absolutely fantastic and what's particularly good is the natural blending look you have from the darker edge to the lighter tops (as can been seen very well on the left greave in the last picture, third Honoured Knight).

The only critique I can even think about would be the weapons' haft wrappings. You can see where the wrappings are, which is nice, but I think if you were to shade them differently they would stand out even more. Now I need to get some Knights!

The bases even look sharp. You've done a great job and should be very proud thumbsup.gif!

They look great, all round great, but Mehman makes a good point about the bindings on the haft. I think that a brown/grey wash mix might give them a more worn/weathered look and being them out.

Not long to go now - good luck getting those bikes painted brother.

Thanks for the kind words!  I think you are both right, the hafts looked fine to me at first but they do need some weathering.  I will add another wash and see how they turn out but as far as the ETL is concerned they are finally done!  I have three more that I need to finish and then the LCR will be full!

Bikes are almost done too.  I should have those completed at lunch today.  Unfortunately they are not going to see the same level of detail as the Knights but I will be more than happy to field them in a Ravenwing Strike Force! 

• 2 weeks later...

Post ETL work in progress. I expect to finish these guys in the next few days. It is a 9 man squad at this point with no heavy weapon. I will do that later.

med_gallery_83962_10975_272848.jpg

We get an update and it has pictures! They're looking great. The red and steel go great together and that Sergeant's head is too cool. I'm probably a bit biased as a former Iron Hands player (they need to be painted some more...one day) but you can never go wrong with some bionics, especially a whole lower jaw!

Thanks,Mehman! From the other side it looks more like a microphone but i could be wrong. I realized something the other day, I forgot my blue paint at home so these guys wony get their eyes painted or blue detail on the plasma weapons but it is not a big deal if the final touches wait until after vacation.

You know, I'm mistaken about that head. It is a microphone, indeed. Last night the iPad was being wonky and I thought it was a metal jaw. I think it's the head that comes with the Rhino kit. Either way, it looks very nice.

As always, keep up the good work thumbsup.gif!

As cool as a metal jaw would be, sadly it is not. I have progressed the squad as far as they will go for now as I do not have all of my paints available. I could do some brightening up of the sergeant's robes but I like the dark ominous look. At some point, I will have to base all of my tac marine squads... just not today.

9 man tac squad with one plasma gunner and sergeant with combi-plasma. Technically he should have a bolt pistol but it would not look as cool in my books. All models are from the DV set and the sarge had a few mods.

med_gallery_83962_10975_971431.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_59558.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_329966.jpg

Here are the bits breakdown for the sergeant mods. I also used a different head than in the picture.

med_gallery_83962_10975_47895.jpg

Just posting some previous work. This is my devastator squad. All of the plasma cannons are taken from the DV set and the sergeant is a conversion from one the DV tac marines. It is my first attempt at using the green stuff. It turned out ok, not great but not absolutely terrible. The signum is a conversion using bits from a hunter-killer missile from a Rhino and the antennae is from a space marine bike. After using the squad a few times, I've asked myself why I gave the sarge a plasma pistol but all I can come up with is that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Plasma cannons have proven their worth on the battle field but not the pistol. Anyways, here it is!

med_gallery_83962_10975_624809.jpg

Maybe he'll need it one day. That's what I tell myself when I do something that seems wonky at the time. Of course, you're talking to the guy that has Veteran Sergeants on his Devastator Squads so maybe I'm not the best judge turned.gif.

Your Sergeant break-down looked eerily like the one I was working on except he's keeping the respirator. Nice. The Green Stuff tabard doesn't look half bad. Way to go! Keep doing it and you'll be amazed at what you can come up with.

Keep it up, brother thumbsup.gif!

Really, they are just veteran sarges on paper. Just give them a quick demotion or court martial before they head out to the battlefield if you need to scrounge 10 points. Thanks for the comps on the tabard. I haven't touched the green stuff since but I have been making rocks with Milliput!

As for updates, been working on lots of different projects (all 40k) but I am trying to get my last three Deathwing Knights done. I am posting my base recipe so I don't forget it in the future.

Deathwing Knights Bases:

Play 10 hour mix of All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Glue dirt, cork and other basing materials onto base

1 coat Imperial Primer

Apply Vermin Brown to dirt

Apply Administratum Grey to cork

Apply Leadbelcher to metal debris

Wash with Agrax Earthshade

Dry brush dirt with Zandri Dust

Glue on Deathwing Knights

Glue on tufts of grass as required

Keep listening to All Your Base until significant other threatens you life

med_gallery_83962_10975_245165.jpg

So here's my battle company with some Ravenwing support! Looks like I have some more painting to do but that is the way the hobby goes. I am heading to the LFGW to hopefully give them a try. A worse case scenario is that I get more painting done.

med_gallery_83962_10975_761681.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_329042.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_850725.jpg

Archived