Epher's Guardians of the Covenant - Vows Complete!

Epher

Nice guardians, first time seeing this log, really cool stuff, like the striped rhino, very cool.

Thanks!  I am thinking that I am going to paint all of the Rhino based models like this.  I wasn't sure at first but I am liking the pattern.  Other than looking cool, I find that it makes my GotC stand out.  The first Razorback still requires a few final touches and then it will be done but I will have another 7 tanks to paint after that.  One of them is getting some Deathwing bone treatment so I can use the assault cannons off my land raider so they will not look out of place!

Epher:

The new codex has made battle companies very potent. Yours looks exceptional, especially with the beginnings of a Ravenwing force.

Thanks for sharing.

FC

I think it is a pretty good list.  I would like to add a few more drop pods or razorbacks so I can remove the jump packs in order to free up some points and to get some more heavy bolters on the field.  Unfortunately I did not get to try out the battle company, I ended up playing against Necrons at 1000 points.  We played Maelstrom Missions.  I took a demi company with one drop pod and the RWAS.  The game ended up being a tie but it could have easily swung in my favor since I rolled one for my D3 victory point objective cards.  The MVP would go to the plasma devastator squad.  They unleashed an insane amount of wounds onto the Necron hoards.  The bikes were wiped out in the first round but the speeder made it to the end and was able to provide me with two more victory points with line breaker and an objective card that was basically the same as line breaker. 

On another note, I haven't really been working on my Second Company.  They are going to be my next project once I get the 5th Company done.  The speeder that I have is a tempest but I removed the assault cannon and mounted a heavy bolter and use it as a Typhoon.  It costs less points and it keeps things much simpler since I do not have a copy of the FW book with the rules in it.  I was thinking of converting it to Sableclaw but I have my reservations about that.

Thanks again for your comments!

Thanks for the encouragement, Brother Stobz! It is a slow process but it gets done one mini at time.

I present to you, my fellow battle brothers, Chaplain Thresh of the Fifth Company of the Guardians of the Covenant.

med_gallery_83962_10975_413273.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_271204.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_340713.jpg

The base is not yet complete but I plan on sculpting lots of skulls out of green stuff. GW offers a pack of skulls but they are currently out of stock. Anyone know of any other sources for skulls online? I also plan on using a 32mm base too.

The floor is open to comments and criticism!

Really nice work Brother! I usually don't like big wings but that looks cool and in proportion. Love the greyish black and the muted tones, he looks nice and grimdark.

If you want to improve him you could add a shiny dark brown wash to the recesses of the brass bits (weapon head in particular) and a flat black or brown to the same on the wings. That is hard to do once you have gotten to the stage he's in because it usually requires repairs etc. but it really gives separation and adds immense visual complexity to a mini without resorting to heaps of freehand.

Nice work on the crossed swords too btw.

stobz

Thanks for the comments!

@Brother Stobz: I am glad you like the wings.  I figure most people would either love or hate them but they are a better fit for this guy than on my Azzy conversion.  I've done a wash with Agrax Earthshade on the brass stuff but I think it is the harsh lighting that is causing a loss of the detail.  I think the back of the Crozius could use another coat now that you've mentioned it.  The wings need to be removed and pinned.  The current bond is not very good.  I will touch up the wings when I do the repairs.

@FinylCut:  Thanks for the link to Secret Weapons.  I may have to go for it.  They also have a military discount... You don't see that too often for war gaming sites.  It is too bad they don't have any grav type weapons. 

Did I mention that the arm with the pistol is magnetized?  I am thinking power axe?   For sure!  I'll be sure to update when the base is done but for now, I have to finish those DWK's!

Well... SKULLS!

med_gallery_83962_10975_561295.jpg

It's not cast resin nor is it green stuff. I used sculpty and had to bake it in the oven for 15 minutes. Some turned out better than others but I think I have more than accomplished the effect and it should look great as long as you don't take close ups like this. The dark brown stuff is coffee grinds and at the center is cork! No surprises here.

Anyways, I would like to know what you think so far!

Edit: I will also clean off the loose grinds once the glue dries. It was a pain to get everything looking half decent.

So here he is, base and all. The wings were adjusted and their position looks a lot better than before. I painted the skulls so they would look dark and dirty. I couldn't have them looking brighter than the model. So how does it look? I am kind of thinking that it is a little over the top but then again he is one of my main HQ's. I may have to give him a better name. Charon, perhaps? All that I know is that he cannot wait until the next Feast of Blades!

med_gallery_83962_10975_573391.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_612975.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_263353.jpeg

Thanks for all of the comments! And now it is time to work on the new company master. I am thinking that I need some TH&SS goodness to strike a little more fear into my foes. I am magnetizing his arms to allow for different configurations. Right now he has a thunder hammer and a storm bolter. No need for a pistol to gain a +1 attack. I could also call it the Foe Smiter too. The plan is to make a green stuff cape that will drape over his left pauldron and then the back pack will be added. So the left pauldron is glued on and the left arm can slide out for weapon swap outs. The question is... which head?

med_gallery_83962_10975_475338.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_357098.jpg

Looking good and am a massive fan of magnets for ICs like this one.

I am with the good chaplain on the hammer though; he needs a good chunk more below the hand or two things: 1. Balance of the model (as well as the practicality) 2. If you have a bit more haft low down you can let it slip out as you swing, giving you more acceleration and therefore speed as you hit. All up it hits harder as a model and a fighting marine.

Oh and helmet 1 also gets my vote!

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, the hammer.  I need to pin the haft to the hand but there there isn't much left of it.  So it would be a short haft.  I am liking the idea of a longer haft and that would balance out the look of the model.  Right now, I have to put this guy on hold to prepare for my next campaign battle against Gray Knights.  The last battle was an abysmal failure.  I lost 11 to 1.  I couldn't draw decent objective cards.  Anyways, I started a new thread on that topic but for now it is back to making rhino hulls.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived