Epher's Guardians of the Covenant - Vows Complete!

Epher

These bases are for existing troops, my 5 man squad battle company.  They are all DV marines.  The bases had slots so I glued cereal box cardboard over them and then based as usual.  I am going to cut off the bars on the DV marines and hot glue their feet to the bases, unless someone else has a better suggestion for gluing.

I use cyanoacrylate for all my hobby stuff. Well, terrain gets hot glue, but, eh. Need to stick a part together? CA it. Need to put metal, resin, and plastic together? CA it. Need to glue the dog to the other dog? That's right: CA it!

You can order it online or get it at hobby retailers. It's just common super glue like Krazy Glue or what have you. Getting it at a specialty shop lets you buy more of it and at a reduced price.

For modelling, I have used all sorts of different stuff. GW plastic and super glue and the CA stuff you mentioned. It all depends on what I am gluing. But for models to bases, unless I have a clean contact patch between the model's feet and plastic on the base, I use hot glue. It gets in all the little crevices between the feet and 'dirt' and having a little flex is not a bad idea either. Here is the latest update. Some of the bases will need a second coat around the edges. I was thinking of adding some Mordhiem Turf to a few of them but I think it would look too busy. I look forward to the comments and criticism.

med_gallery_83962_10975_464788.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_443494.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_1073208.jpg

I think they look good. If you are thinking of tufts then a few used sparingly should do nicely. Perhaps some of the more bleached styles might look good. Ceryianly not a rich, healthy, grass green!

• 1 month later...

After basing my marines, I have decided not to use the grass. It would make them too busy. So I have been working on my goal of getting my version of my greenwing done. University and my family has been keeping me busy so I have been away from the B&C for a while. So here is some of the things that I have been up to:

This is my test piece of highlighting. I find that using Runefang Steel gives a much more sublte effect. The other big change will be the eyes. I will be making the eyes white instead of blue. With the blue eyes, I think they look too much like Grey Knights and after losing to them a few times I have really grown to hate them. So... White eyes! Thoughts?

med_gallery_83962_10975_310752.jpg

Here are some of my sargeant WIP's. Most of my games are between 1000 and 1500 points so I have been using regular sergeants with bolters to keep the points low allowing me to spend them else where. I am liking the look of the DV sarges and with a little chopping they convert well.

med_gallery_83962_10975_39369.jpg

Those bases look sharp, my brother! I can feel the terrain under my feet already. The contrast of the two colours make them look like a realistic mountainous area. Or, you know, wherever you'd like them to be. Is a tutorial coming our way for the holidays laugh.png?

If you're going to go with white eyes, in which I agree wholeheartedly, maybe thin down some Nuln Oil with Lahmian Medium and place it on the lenses. They'll need some shadow because if not, you'll look like you forgot to do anything with them. That's my thought on the matter biggrin.png.

Yes, yes. The highlighting looks nice as do your Sergeants. The bionic eye on the righthand Sergeant looks especially neat. My only other thought would be to have some dust on their feet and greaves but that's not really even a concern.

Good update, Brother, and, as always, keep it up thumbsup.gif!

I'd go green eyes for a bit of a spot colour and contrast to the rest of the scheme, your limited palette across the model is great and I love it but they would benefit from a little lifting visually.

The white eyes seem too drab and the blue was too pale imho. I'd bung silver into the area and once dry drop in some nice deep glossy wash of green, finish with a tiny spot or edge of silver. That gets a great lens effect without too much mucking around for the masses of troops.

Feel free to ignore me and continue your great work, I am just chucking my spare 2c out there :lol:

stobz

I agree with Brother Stobz and our weeping friend, green is the way to go there. Give them an edge shade with light Nuln Oil and then run some Waywatcher Green glaze across the eyes for an easy job, and run a bit of Waywatcher Green around the edges of the lense hole itself on the helm for a bit of "poor man's OSL" and you'll be cooking with gas.

Other than the eyes, they are looking mighty fine!

Thanks for all of your comments! Green eyes... sounds interesting. I may have to pick up a pot of Waywatcher and test it out. Hopefully heading out to the GW with my battle company for a pick up game. I'll pick some up then. I got some Razorback turrets from printers in preparation for fielding a Battle Company. They did not turn out very good. I am working on another model that I am going to print in resin that looks more like the propper thing. I'll post some pictures later.

Mehman: I am glad you like the bases. I think I will create a display board for them and I like your Badlands idea for the terrain. I am hoping that the colors will work. Your thoughts? As far a tutorial goes, I posted a brief one a few months ago. It involves listening to a 10 hour remix of "All Your Base Are Belong To Us". You may omit that part but I don't think the bases will turn out as well. msn-wink.gif It was for the terminator bases but it is all the same materials and colors for the marines. Here is the link: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303151-ephers-guardians-of-the-covenant/?p=4157897. I used the slotted bases from the DV sets to make them. I glued irregular shaped pieces of cereal box to cover the slots.

So here are the Razorback turrets. Now that I have them roughly assembled and on the tanks they don't look so bad. I designed them a little higher than the normal one. This way I can use the Predator side sponson weapons or the heavy flamers from the Land Raider kits. All they need is some autobody filler and sanding before they get painted. I used a cheap printer with PLA fillament instead of something nice like resin. Total cost was $0.75 CAD. That's about a quarter in American with the exchange rate these days!

med_gallery_83962_10975_533886.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well... After much internal debate. I am going to stick with the white eyes. They may not pop on the models as much as green would but I think it is the way I want to run them. It will be reds eyes for the Deathwing but Ravenwing is still up for debate.

Speaking of Deathwing... I need a Librarian in TDA so I am working on a Grey Knights coversion. No wings on this guy. He has a conveted force axe using an axe from a Blood Angels kit. I have all of the inscriptions filled in. I do like the look of their compact terminator armour with the psychic hoods. I am trying to figure out the best position for the power axe: picture one or picture 2? I am also debating adding a back banner but I am not too sure on that one. None of my HQ's have back banners yet. Thoughts?

med_gallery_83962_10975_296903.jpg

med_gallery_83962_10975_332048.jpg

Axe in picture two, hands down for me. Much more dynamic and 'moving' than the planted one in pic 1.

As for back banners, if none of your Army have one yet, what's the fluff reason for this geezer needing one? That's what I'd be thinking...

Thanks, Tygwyn.  I was thinking the same thing, picture two does look more dynamic and that is the pose I went with.  I changed out the head for the one in the Deathwing Terminator set and few other odds and ends.  He looks a lot better.  As for the back banners... I was never really a fan of them but the librarian looked like he was missing something so I added one of the GK's book on a stick and that is working well. 

The big question is how to paint him...  All blue?  Deathwing bone?  How about split down the middle, half and half?

It is snowing here so I am going to have to wait for it to let up so I can prime him.

As Deathwing don't have embedded Librarians as such as far as I remember, then he probably should be all-blue with green (Chapter) loincloth details.

However that is being pedantic - I think a mix of largely blue with bone (right ?) or both shoulderpads / other details, with maybe a bone loincloth thingy would be great.

I have also seen some cool all-bone termy Libbies too - with blue shoulderpads.

Your imagination is your limit.

Nice model btw.

Cheers

I

Hi Epher

The TDA Librarian looks amazing. As for the Marines i really recommend you to drybrush the silver first before painting the details. It will save you a lot of painting time and it will look more realistic (in my opinion).

cheers

Edit: i prefer the first pose of the libarian ;)

It's gotta be blue, but maybe a single bone shoulder pad as a nod to the DW or maybe bone robes to get the synergy with the rest of your TDA force? I've not got a TDA Librarian yet, but will certainly give his armour the blue treatment when I convert one in the new year.

For my part I think that Librarians should always have blue armour. It marks them out as special (unless they made the mistake of joining the ultamarinesdevil.gif ). I do think bone shoulder pads and red robes would look nice though...

I am thinking that people are going to either love or hate this paint job but I am splitting it down the middle (quite literally). Half bone and half blue with the alternating shoulder pads. The final product in my mind looks awesome but we will see how it will actually look on the model. Pose 2 won.

Any tips on painting grey hair?

Oh, here's a little progress...

med_gallery_83962_10975_201449.jpg

Oh ok thats cool, puts me in mind of that ultramarine succsessor chapter whose name escapes me at the moment. For the grey hair one way you could try is stormvermin fur with a black wash and then light highlight of administratum or dawnstone depending on how light you want.  

I tried this recipe once, and liked the look, just didn't think it fit with the model in concern. It's really similar to Punk Possum's:

Based Skavenblight dinge, washed with Agrax Earthshade (felt more 'natural' than black), then drybrushes of Stormvermin fur, administratum grey and a very light Ulthuan grey in the end. Gave that mix of colours that hair has.

Loving your work. As for librarian colour. No one ever asks if their Chaplin in tda should be black or bone and as far as I can see it is the same question. Librarians for me should be blue but as ever rule of cool trumps all.

Archived