Epher's Guardians of the Covenant - Vows Complete!

Epher

I am still waiting for my dreadnought but I got my hands a Razorback. Yeah!  The great debate for my tanks has been how to paint them.  These are a couple works in progress.  The Rhino is pretty basic but still needs more work.  I started that one a while ago.  I was going for a WW1 dazzle camo effect for the Razorback.  The idea is that it is visually dispruptive but does not hide the unit.  It was more effective in the convoy scenarios making it difficult to identify the ship and distinguish between ships.  It also hindered the effectiveness of visual range finders.  But who uses visual range finders in the future?  That was more of a rhetorical question.  I think it is more about looking cool.  I'm not liking the front as much as the side but this isn't too bad for a first attempt.  I still have to add more stripes but I'd like to hear your thoughts and comments, good and bad, before I go too far.

IMG_0378.JPG

Here is another shot of the Razorback.

IMG_0377.JPG

Camouflage is something modern era Space Marines don't do -- although they did during the Badab War -- but that was back in 2nd Edition (?).

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/Hedgehobbit/CammoLandRaiders.jpg

That being said I love the red and black dazzle pattern you've come up with. It looks very striking.

Cheers

I

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am getting ready for the ETL and I decided to get off the fence on my Green Wing Command Squad (although my troops aren't green) and commit to a load out.  My thoughts are if I am going to take command squad and a banner most of the time it will be the BoD.  So it's a shooty com squad.  Here's what it is:

250 Points:

3x Combi Plasmas

1x Plamsa Gun

1x Apothecary

1x Power Fist (because it looks cool and smashing things can be fun!)

Banner of Devistation

I converted two of the combi plasmas.  I like the look of them on the top but when GW does it and repositions the bolter barrel to the lower position it doesn't look right to me.  They would have to some serious finagling of the gun mechanics to make that work without comprimising shooting performance.  I also used the heads from the Deathwing Knights.  No helmets for these guys! 

Thoughts and comments??

IMG_0470.JPG

Here's a better shot of two of the combi plasmas and the Apothecary conversion:

IMG_0472.JPG

The Command Squad looks awesome! thumbsup.gif Particularly like the pose of the vet with the power fist, and the standard bearer's gun is one of the best scratch built combi-weapons I've seen.

The Camo-Razorback is excellent as well (actually reminds me of the Red Scorpion's Angstrom Pursuit squad colour scheme from the original Badab War article).

Thanks, Spaced Hulk.  I am still working on the Razorback.  I have decided to change the front pattern on it.  It just seemed off in it's current state.

Final exams means procrastination (to some degree) here's a banner concept for the Guardians of the Covenant.  I think I will be adding wings.  Angels need wings.  I needed to have the crossed blades up there.  We'll see how well I can translate from my head to model with a brush.

IMG_0490.JPG

Nice banner design thumbsup.gif.

Cheers

I

Thanks, Isiah. I am looking forward to attempting it during the ETL.

I haven't had much time to work on my models lately but that will change now that final exams are done. Here's the latest progress on the Razorback. I had to change the front, it was bugging me and it felt like it was out of place. A shout out to Yellow Stripe for the inspiration for the crossed swords on the right side of the tank. Not bad for my first tank but I still have a long ways to go in my painting!

IMG_0531.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

PROGRESS FOR THE ETL!!! 

I just had to yell that out and get a picture posted.  The Nuln Oil is just about dry.  I am pretty stoked as to how my command squad is turning out.  Basing tomorrow and then the banner.  I picked up some new brushes so now I have better chances of bringing my Angel of Death to life.

ComSquad1.jpg

PROGRESS FOR THE ETL!!! 

I just had to yell that out and get a picture posted.  The Nuln Oil is just about dry.  I am pretty stoked as to how my command squad is turning out.  Basing tomorrow and then the banner.  I picked up some new brushes so now I have better chances of bringing my Angel of Death to life.

ComSquad1.jpg

Nice Job! Lol i am seeing this as I am waiting for my base coat to dry so I can shade my models...

Apothecary time!  Had to post this one too.

Thanks, GMS!  There is nothing like watching paint dry, eh?

Could use some pointers on what to do with the eyes... Unfortunately I am at a loss.

IMG_0602.JPG

I don't usually do the eyes, especially on hooded heads - if you shade the face right, you don't really need to.  Run a little Agrax Earthsade into the eye sockets and maybe ramp up the shading between the face and the hood.

Does this base look alright to my fellow Unforgiven? I am going for the paver stone rubble look. It is pretty much cut up sprue frames with sand. It is Administratum Grey on the pavers with a coat of Nuln Oil... like Frank's Hot Sauce, "I put that :cuss on everything!" It's a commercial for a hot sauce out here in North America. Just picture a little old lady saying that... There is Vermin Brown based on the sand with a Zandri Dust dry brush and more Nuln Oil.

Thoughts?

IMG_0608.JPG

It does look good - but perhaps (given that it is rubble) the 'blocks' and the 'mud' could look a little more tied together? The blocks might look more like they've been thrown around/damaged if they had some brown on them - maybe Agrax Earthshade instead of Nuln Oil or a light drybrush with 'brown' of your choosing?

I love your chapter colours by the way, wish I had the imagination to go "off route"!

I will try out the Agrax tonight!  I may leave the brown levels as is.  I am trying to have my bases looking similar but different between all the squads.

I can't lay claim to the color scheme but I do love how the red robes look over the metal power armour. 

I am almost done the banner and my first unit for the ETL.  I am hoping the rest of them goes faster.  I tried the Agrax on the bases and it looks great but now one out of the five bases looks out of place... It will not be a difficult touch up. 

I still have some touching up and some highlighting but not bad for a night's worth of work.

IMG_0629.JPG

The banner was a trial in patients.  I drew it on the banner with pencil first and then painted over it.  I must say... I likes it too.  Here it is, first squad for the ETL done!

IMG_0650.JPG

Up next is my Azrael conversion... Uziah, Grand Master of the Guardians of the Covenant.  He has the same load out as Azrael.  It's a mix of bits, some Blood Angels and Stern Guard.  There will be a nice flowing purity seal over the blood drop on the sword hilt.  The left shoulder pad is from the Deathwing Knights and has the angel with the crossed blades.  I had to use it since it was very fitting.  When I first got into the hobby, about a year ago, I was surprised that there were all these armies called "something Angels" but there weren't any with wings.  Some of you may like this or not but I added some.  I like the look of it even though he does not have a jump pack.  Take that Sanguinary Guards!  You can't see it but the combi plasma turned out good too.

So without further ado!

IMG_0666.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Your Guardians are ace, I love the banner! Creative use of leftover sprue on the bases too - that's my kind of recycling.

Your Azrael conversion looks really cool too - I hope you don't mind I borrowed him as the founding GotC chapter master in by Index Astartes thread :P

• 3 weeks later...

So this is my first land raider built and painted. I underestimated how long this thing would take to build and paint. There are lots of little parts to clean and then there is all of the detail work. There were a few hard lessons learned on the merits of plastic glue versus super glue but I can overlook those mistakes. Hope you enjoy the pics! Comments and criticism are welcome!

The Maw of Atrox

med_gallery_83962_10975_671786.jpg

I had to go with a tech marine as a gunner.

med_gallery_83962_10975_62434.jpg

Deathwing Land Raider Crusader in Guardians of the Covenant Colors

med_gallery_83962_10975_222686.jpg

So here is my test piece for my Deathwing Knights.  It is also my first attempt at the bone colored TDA.  The floor is open to C&C!

20150703_080941.jpg

20150703_081026.jpg

20150703_081134.jpg

That's a cool looking knight! I have a squad of DWK sitting there cos I couldn't figure out a colour scheme.

It's probably just the photo lighting, but the red robes look almost pinkish next to the bone armour. So I guess my feedback would be to take a look at that (unless of course it is just the photo!), and maybe darken the red a bit.

Aside from that it looks great, can't wait to see the whole unit ready for smiting!

Egad!  You are right!  The Deathwing Knight does have a pinky hue to his robes.  The only thing that has changed in my photography is the camera that I have been using.  I switched from an older iPhone to an LG.  I have been using Khorne Red on the robes with the red wash over it... There is also one other thing that has been changed.  I used the white spray primer in place of the Chaos Black spray primer.

But having said all that, I am looking at the mini now and it does not look pink.

One thing that drew me to the Dark Angels was the bone colored terminators.  I was not a big fan of the green in the greenwing.  So I decided to roll with the bone for my Guardians and basically switch around the red and greens.  So far, I am liking the results!

Thanks for the comments!

Archived