XIth: Wardens of Light - Destined to be forgotten

MikhalLeNoir
Go to solution Solved by MikhalLeNoir,

Here we go again :-)

spacemarinev3

spacemarine

This time around I am playing with a colour scheme. which one do you like better? or do you have another idea? for the primarch i think about white armour and golden trims.

Doesn't have to look like all of the marines, or does he?

And acutally I am waiting for my backpack order^^ Found some on ebay, mk2, nightlord, saguinary guard and old raptor jump pack.Hope one will look good.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Honestly I prefer the first. The second looks fine but screams 'Chapter' more than 'Legion.' just about every legion utilizes a 1 or 2 color scheme. They are not as flashy or varried as the space marines chapters would become. 

I understand wanting to do something unique but the trick is doing something unique while fitting into the pattern that all other existing legions occupy. thats why I prefer the first scheme.  My only worry will be that it will bear some visual similarities to world eaters. Maybe instead of white make it silver? Silver and blue looks great and would make them distinctive from WE Legion.

Also, Primarchs do not have to match the scheme of the legion. Pick something that compliments the legion colors but stands apart if thats the route you are looking. Just look at Horus in his black justaerin terminator armor. It has accents of sea green on the shoulders to tie it in but stands unique.

My only worry along with Athrawes is that they will look like the World Eaters a bit so possibly make them even have gold armour? Silver or white for elite veterans or so, most legions have taken all the other colours so changing up to bring something bright and a beacon of light would be great!

In general I prefer the first scheme, though like Athrawes & ColdWinter I'm concerned it may be a little to close to the World Eaters' colours.

If I might make a suggestion, why not use the darker blue from the second scheme and change the white armour to grey like the old Unification colours?

How about using yellow as opposed to white? just an idea.

Yellow/blue isn't a scheme currently used by any legion, it uses the colours in the legion emblem, plus it looks quite noble as far as colour schemes go.

just a thought, I think your colour scheme is fine but a bit close to the WE's but it's your project mate. If you are keeping the blue/white then darkening the blue to a navy or something may differentiate it from the WE's

That Primarch is hands down, no-holds-barred stunning. Well done.

On the fluff side of things - and you may not wish to hear this - I found it pretty hard to get immersed in the concept once I realised you've got two quotes just directly lifted from the Grey Wardens in Dragon Age: Origins. You could change up a few words, throw in a 40k buzzword or two and it'd go a long way towards keeping them rooted in the 40k universe whilst still drawing inspiration/making a homage to the Wardens of Dragon Age.

Otherwise, great start, keen to see what this guy's sons look like.

@Athrawes, ColdWinter, SanguiniusReborn & Astartes-ULTRA: Yeah, now I see the resemblance^^. I thought a very light grey would differ them enough. Silver could be really fine, but I tried for the darker grey tone first.

What do you think?

@ColdWInter: I will try the Goldversion as well, but don't they look then like custodes or sanguinary guard?
@Astartes-Ultra: I will try the color scheme and then I will decide.
@Brother-Captain Arkhan: Hehe, so you knew :) I liked to give them a touch from the wardens as well, but I see your point and changed the motto a bit. What do you think of it? And thanks for the kind words

@All: Thank you all for your help. Setting up an original legion is not that easy. a lot of problems on the way, but with your help this might work.

Just a little update with better photos and Gwalchavad/Lazarus with a sanguinaryguard jumppack and a new tail. The old was destroyed by the powers of chaos in form of a killer cat...

DSC 0448

DSC 0444

DSC 0443

DSC 0442

DSC 0441

DSC 0436

DSC 0432

DSC 0431

DSC 0427

Added an alternate Legion Color Scheme based on the ideas from AStartes-Ultra and ColdWinter: What do you think? Could go for yellow or gold.

spacemarinealt3

And here a potential Colorscheme for the Primarch:

primarchcolorscheme

All trims will be golden or yellow, the rest white and blue

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Always a fan of seeing the Lost Legions being explored, and I'm loving the fact you already have a model ready.  I'm definitely keeping my eye on this as it unfolds.  A quick question: Will you be keeping to the now official discovery order of Primarchs? 

http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_First_Expedition/index.php?showtopic=136&st=15

Also, much more a fan of Gold and blue than the silver, as the theme is light and everything, and gold is a far more fitting colour.  

Yeah, I am a fan of the gold and blue too^^. It has something bling bling on it^^.

The list has a little bit of problems, because as often mentioned inside the thread, corax was found after the 2 primarchs went missing, but the list indicates something different.

I must think a bit about it. Actually there is no time frame, because I am in the vision of horus scenario at first. And I know the end of the story.^^

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, welcome to the lost legions. Raktra will be happy to hear that someone else has taken up the banner of the XIth. Also, I have to say the nave you've chosen is really ironic to me.

Already you've made excellent progress and a few models. I have a question or two and apologize if you've already answered them. One, why did you pick the XIth? Two, why the Grey Wardens' Oath? I'm especially curious about the third line, since souls would imply spirituality or religious undertones, something not looked kindly upon during the Great Crusade.

Other than that, looking forward to see what you'll cook up.

Hi simison. I am glad, that you like my little project.

Before I answer your questions, one of my own. Why is the name ironic to you ;)

Question 1: I took the XI because of a few reasons. One is. I wanted to be in the same universe as Athrawes Legion. I love his work and background especially his end game with Icarion and Russ, which could habe a very heavy impact on the end of all things. I mean the destruction of the XIth.

The the XIth wasn't often chosem for a legion because I thin the II is more a mystery because it was the 3rd found son and very early in the great crusade.

And last but not least I wanted to create a connection between Horus fall and the XIth. As I mentioned before I will tap into those "glories which never come to pass".

2. When I had finally a fitting name I googled for it and there where the grey wardens. And it fitted in my head. I wanted to give them a kind of codex that saving everyone is the highest deed. The light in a universe of grim darkness. He is the fortune arcana. He is good spirited and light hearted. He doesn't fit in rhis world. But he is also the pariah. The blank rejected by most of his brothers and even by his farher who deems his existance a failure because such a blank could endanger his creation. He has no connection to the warp he could only define his soul theough believe.

3. Nonetheless the emperor is the embodiement of light and to protect hia creation is the goal. But even the strongest light could flucker and not every decision made must be the right. Killing children of peaceful xenos? Would the light really want this? Will there be a stain to the souls?

Mikhal, I didn't know you were placing your Wardens of Light in the same universe as the Lightning Bearers!, that's awesome, maybe I can see if Coldwinter and the Forge Masters would be willing to do a Forgeworld mockup of your color scheme!

@Athrawes: how should you, I haven't told it ;)

It would be awesome if this works out :)

I hope you will like the road I am heading to. Sadly Icarion and Gwalchavad will never meet.

@simison: woah. In germany we say: " 2 Deppen , ein Gedanke" we had the same idea on the name and are both dragon age fans.

Your fluff and scope is great. I wish I could write like that.

@simison: woah. In germany we say: " 2 Deppen , ein Gedanke" we had the same idea on the name and are both dragon age fans.

Your fluff and scope is great. I wish I could write like that.

Always neat to hear a saying from my ancestral roots. And thank you. Unfortunately, my hobby budget is currently non-existent, so I've been pouring my energy into the literary side of my lost legion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow pace on the project but family and work are eating up my freetime. Nontheless a little preview for my next character while I wait for the right bits to finish the primarch. I present Mícheál, the scorpion and prince of the northern sky. Maybe some of you see the homage:)

Mícheál WIP 1

Mícheál WIP 2

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Yeah, you guessed right. He is my avatar. Seems I stole your idea.:wink:

He is one out of 5 leading Characters of the wardens of light -> The 5 First Wardens. 4 were from the Planet Gwalchavad was found on: Melyn

And one which represents the Terran born.

Gwalchavad -Primarch of the Wardens of Light. The Blank/ Pariah, The Ghost King, The Giant of the forest, , He who is not there, The vagrant. The fisher king.

Mícheál - Prince of the Northern Sky

Llwch Llenlleawg - Lord of the Western Sea

Gwalcmai - Son of the Southern Woods

Bedwyr- Head of the Eastern Isles

Naga - The Terran born.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir