27326770557_0e392ee451_c.jpg56 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

27326770507_c10f528d27_c.jpg57 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

27326770407_cdba485b89_c.jpg58 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

27326770377_d31c0f0692_c.jpg59 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

27326770287_8f54e74865_c.jpg60 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

42151648082_e47a2368f1_c.jpg61 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

42151647952_1c12a4c885_c.jpg50 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

42151647832_744fb40f79_c.jpg51 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Okay so I need a pack marking idea.. I was also going to do Brands symbol on a knee plate, do I just do it in blac, like it wa engraved in, or do the knee pad white then the symbol in black... Just worried mor colour will make the models a bit too busy.

Thoughts??

Okay question time. 

Tried to put transfers on my wolves last night, but curved plate is a pain in the bum and I have pits sticking out. Can I still use microsol on it to soften it down or is it too late now that the decal has dried?? ( I have not yet put a top coat of gloss varnish on it)

• 4 weeks later...

What colour do I do the gem on the axe?

Red or green. Have done a wash of Lamenters yellow to give the gem a warm look

42814595802_5ce2e1935b_z.jpgthumbnail94 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Also a few wee bits I am working on for ETL

27994275397_fdef52d12c_b.jpgthumbnail97 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

42814595702_8ca1477de3_b.jpgthumbnail99 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

42814595592_455c9a5e11_b.jpgthumbnail98 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

42814595862_c69f1398c0_b.jpgthumbnail95 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the metallics done on the plates for my knights and the weapon arms more or less done for the leviathans

I was going t do the base colour on the plates, but that didnt work out, as you can see I am a messy painter.

New plan is to varnish and mask the metallics, then do the armour plates again with the airbrush.

Hoping as the main bodies are all metal construction, they will get done pretty fast.

What symbol should I put in the cog on the Atropos' chest plate?

41283233800_1ddb1e149e_c.jpg20180629_202744 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

41283234170_86610dbb8c_c.jpg20180629_202753 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

41283233650_0fd82b76a9_c.jpg20180629_202800 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

41283234320_d7ffa4858d_c.jpg20180629_202805 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

41283234260_c1826c8232_c.jpg20180629_202822 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

No pictures this time around and facing a little burnout.

Got 20 grey slayers, 20 terminators, a socaran arcus, Curze, Form and a mk2b land raider in soak just now with a Xiphon on the way.

My headache just now is... Would the SW Terminator conversion kit marry well to FW death shroud terminators to make a SW tartaros squad?

Grieux: It'll be good to see yours and see if my idea will work,as I have only had time to scrub the soap off and leave them to dry. I am back offshore again for 3 weeks.

I managed to pick up some rust coloured spray and hit the knights with a coat before spraying the frames with the steel paints, which looks pretty good. The gold and metals are going to get masked off, so I can respray with the airbrush and lay down some decals. The tanks and leviathans are the same, although great swathes have been sprayed gold. My eye sight is not too great so the knot work is getting harder to do. FPS has me really envious... So I have laid down some gold. The plan is to then overlay with custom decals and then use liquid mask to protect the decals while I do the grey armour. I can then go back and tidy up after.

Having sprayed everything gold, I actually really rather like it and make s me want to do some Minotaurs or custodes :D

Will get my wife to take some pictures of my work space so you can see where I left them.

Hopefully when I get home the pace of life will be easier. My 8 year old son has been having problems with bullies at his school and in 3 weeks I have had to go over there 3 times, had him home twice with anxiety issues making him ill and the school have done literally nothing to help his situation.

Last week we decided that we as a family had had enough, the issues have been there for 2 years. They were manageable, but recently have become worse. My son is falling to bits, my wife is upset and stressed out and needless to say I am not happy about the situation.

Last year alone we had 8 or more meetings with the school and every time, we were told something would be done, but our son had to do this or change that.....We went to outside agencies who gave great advice (Parent 2 Parent are brilliant and I would recommend them to anyone, they were a great support to us) who offered to mediate but the school refused saying it could be handed internally I am tired of my son being told he has to change, but the bullies get a talking to and thats that!! While he tries to deal with things what is preventing the bullies from continuing to cause trouble for him?

We do not want  the bullies to win, but if the school will not help him (and we can only do so much from home, as we cannot go into the school, cannot approach the bullies or their parents) we have decided that he needs to change school. Thankfully we have found a great school nearby and after some visits to see what it is like he looks like he will settle in really well. We will also be going to the local authorities to complain about the schools handling of our sons situation. He isn't the first to move due to these problems at his school, from his class, and not sure if he will be the last

Anyways rant over.

Didn't get any model work done, but hopefully the family is now take care of.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the rambling...

The Knight's armour plates are looking great, the colours work really well and the fade is well done.

That's really awful to hear about the problems your son's having at school, children can be incredibly cruel sometimes, but the response of the school is beyond disgraceful. I dearly hope that he settles in to the new school swiftly and doesn't have a reccurence of the problems.

• 4 months later...

Happy new year to everyone.

Sorry for being away for so long 

Also many thanks for all the well wishes with regards to my son.

He is now thoroughly enjoying his new school and has earned he is in a safe place so all is good there.

Unfortunately or me I have not picked up a model in months let alone paint. I have been signed off work with depression and mustering the energy to do anything constructive.

However, I am trying to change that, so I am turning to you guys.

First off Rogal Dorn...

I decided to take a change in tack and do a character model for a change of pace.

Badly fr me, as I stuck the Raptor in place behind Dorns head it fell off and I have lost it. Not only that but I have only now managed to find a single raptor wing :(

Do I not bother with the raptor, or do I try to make one using the aquila from the rhino kit??? 

So going back to previous posts

46620076041_876fd63baf_b.jpglevi dread by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

I did some gold on the leviathan. Do you think I could put a decal over it and then use mask to protect the areas I want left gold. Or do you think I should go with a black/ red outline design akin to FearPeteySodes amazing Levuathan?

Also I have no made any more progress on my 2 knights

46620075321_3224930618_b.jpgknight1 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

I want to put pilots in, and the ideas I have, mean using figures on thrones,,,, Any idea how easy it would be to remove the original throne mechanicums??

46620075681_567328fc8a_b.jpgthrone mechanicum by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :smile.:

Edited by Dantay VI

Glad to hear your son's having a better time of it, I'm sorry that things aren't going so well for yourself, however.

FearPeteySodes' Leviathan certainly looks good, so that could be a good path to go down, though I don't quite understand what your other plan was, regarding the gold and masking?

Ah well,

I want to do some decals of my own, and a lot of knotwork designs I have done in the past are all in gold.

But I cannot print gold on my home printer.... So I was thinking to spray gold, then do an outline design fr the decal and put it on the sprayed gold.

Voila a gold knotwork design.

I wuld then use liquid mask to cover up the decaland do all the greys etc and paint up the leviathan.

At the end peel off the ask and have a nice gold knotwork design on the dreadnaught

However it all sounds very complex, so I am wondering if I should do an outline only and mimic FPS's dreadnaught.

Ahh, I see what you mean now, sounds an interesting plan, but perhaps one with lots of chances for error?  Have you tried a similar technique before, perhaps doing a trial run on a spare Rhino panel or something would be worthwhile?

• 3 weeks later...

Well Flickr as changed, so running pictures through BnC for now.

May go back to Imgur, any suggestions on a decent free picture hosting website from anyone?

Cheers guys for your encouragement

A wee plug for Lidl. They got these for £2.49 each or 2 for £4. I think an absolute bargain

Cutting wheels

Diamond cutting bits

Well did a bit of cutting and chopping. Basically cracked my knights torso's open to put 2 pilots in. Also done a mech pilot for the Atropos.

Knight pilots

My long suffering veterans have had some work done on their bases. I bought the Egyptian roller from Greenstuffworld, and used the very last of my milliputt to try out.
Quite like the result and with some debris on the base, I could be able to make a good number of bases

Veteran bases

Beyond that I managed to get the pilots and gunners sorted out for the Javelins. 1 pair have Salamanders torso's and the other Space Wolves torsos... I imagine the Salamander guys are basically SW big game hunters and will be drake slayers :)

Javelin 2

Javelin 1

Trying to get old kits ut of the way I also git the Arcus 90% done, hat the way the turret sits, so want t do something to raise it slightly and give it a better fit. The Land Raider mark 2B is also done and sporting an assault cannon razorback turret for fun.

Sicaran Arcus

Raider mark 2b

For air cover I got the xiphon sprayed and will update the cockpit soon :) Another flyer in my SW armada.

Xiphon

And lastly vehicle wise, I got the 2 razorbacks out of the freezer and split them apart, then rebuit them with SW specific parts and added multi meltas. These are removable for 40K play where hey are illegal.
These can now run as razorback or rhino's

Veteran rhinos

Now with all the armour progressing nicely, on to the juicy stuff

Got this little lunatic finished off at long last.

thumbnail

I used Haldor Icepelts head, and the axe head popped off, disappearing without trace. I found this blade laying on the desk, so stuck it on, and I think it looks pretty good. Just not sure what to call him, or run him as.  Any thoughts??

Todays bit of fun were these guys

thumbnail (18)

thumbnail (22)

thumbnail (21)

thumbnail (19)

thumbnail (15)

Indomitus termi's

As you can see it is a fair mash up of bis and are in very early stages... The FW varagyr will get their legs retweaked and the furs will be ground down and off and you can see there is a lot of potential and work in the others.

thumbnail (22)

For example the Tartaros guys are based on Deathguard models, the armour between the legs, will be shortened and reshaped to look like the imagery in Inferno. If I cannot do it then it will be gone and replaced with fur pelts.

thumbnail (19)

The arm weapons may stay to represent combi weapons and the scythes will be converted to big 2 handed axes or harpoons (as described in A Thousand Sons) and bolters or combi bolters maglocked to the armour.

Another set based on Deathguard Grave Wardens are these guys.

thumbnail (15)

Grave Warden Legs, SW terminator torso's and Grave Warden arms. Trying to work out the best weapon loadout.. Do I go with claws and fists or combi-bolters and fists?

The remaining Grave Warden bits are used with the standard cataphractii parts. 

thumbnail (21)

The belts are incomplete as I have KF studio bits that I may use here.

What I need help with though is how to wolf these up and tidy up the top sections?

thumbnail (17)

Also how to disguise the big gaps at the back?

thumbnail (20)

And these guys will be in Indomitus, as I am 95% sure I am short of Cata arms and pads.

Indomitus termi's

Again, not sure of weapon load out, any thoughts??

With regards to sizing thre is not a huge amount of difference in size between the larger Varagyr and the modified terminators

thumbnail (16)

And finally

I applied some gold to these 2 guys

Vindicator laser destroyer

Sicaran Venator

WIll work on decal designs and see how they go....

Thanks for looking :)

Yes I love the Death GG hard models too.

They have a lot of character which I hope to carry over to the Wolves without making them look like grey DG.

Yes I have some collection of models to work on. In honesty the depression has been holding me back for a long time so models have been getting stock piled.

It was only recently I felt unable to cope and now I am coming out the other side.

The juices are starting to flow again so trying to harness them before they dry up again

The chain mail and chain fists are especially good and fit the more medieval/dark age look of heresy-era Wolves well.

Glad to hear things are on the up, hopefully relaxing with the hobby will be a useful vehicle in that process.

Not used pro-create myself, though I know it's not unusual for some putty to be much stiffer (or softer) than greenstuff or Miliput.

• 1 month later...

So I managed to snag 5 deathsworn and Hvarl.

While I really like the Hvarl model there are a few things I am not so keen on.

One thing is I always imagined his axe, Hearthsplitter, to be a big axe, so wanted to do him with a 2 handed axe.

So how to do that and retain the heavy bolter?

I am thinking some kind of rig....

So these are very very rough ideas just now.

WofMLIQ.jpg

t5tKeSn.jpg

Go over the shoulder and put a back rig on? If this does not work out the pack could be used for a Praevian

Or do I go under arm and have it suspensor mounted, so he can grab it when needed and push it back when wielding his axe?

fPI7VaC.jpg

lWtHvN0.jpg

These are early days and super rough, but would like thoughts and ideas on if it is possible to do, and ideas to do it... Am I on the right track?

Thanks for looking

• 4 weeks later...

So while trying to work out what to do, I decided to work on a command squad, Hvarl's Headtakers so to speak.

As Hvarl is in Tartaros plate, so his squad will do the same,so decided to use the DeathGuard DeathShroud as a base.

Also decided t use the scythes, as big executioners axes.

A lot are warped and will get straightened out, ear days yet.

GTfNRsc.jpg

sGt02X5.jpg

Dhq2dt9.jpg

Jp94uv1.jpg

RYQ6c9I.jpg

GBZJeyd.jpg

6PwCNHJ.jpg

TJRqnAk.jpg

rHSpwnd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V1M0XeY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/APimpZq.jpg

Also started faffing around with the Praetor model.

Hate what they did with his lower half

WBfMQbI.jpg

So began attacking him

http://i.imgur.com/NyV66ne.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KRwaZmW.jpg

Fun times ahead!!

Hvarl's retinue looks smashing, the Deathshroud make a solid base for up-armoured Tartaros with the plate tabards, whilst the Indomitus torsos add more bulk and, of course, some fitting iconography. Changing the scythes into axes is an inspired idea.

That's ridiculous how undetailed and chunky the underside of the Praetor is.

Hvarl's retinue looks smashing, the Deathshroud make a solid base for up-armoured Tartaros with the plate tabards, whilst the Indomitus torsos add more bulk and, of course, some fitting iconography. Changing the scythes into axes is an inspired idea.

That's ridiculous how undetailed and chunky the underside of the Praetor is.

Yes it is a bit bad on the praetor isn't it?

I double checked that it wasn't a dodgy model, as mine was an ebay purchase, and my friends was from FW. He said his was the same.

There is still a ton of grinding to do on him. Planning to remove his head and cut the right arm at the elbow.

Plan is to have him facing forward and rotate the right arm close to 90 degrees, a bit like fw Abaddon. will also re-do the fur.

The Dathshroud are phenomenal models and I am considering repeating the trick again, but making 2 of them Rune priests. I need to see if Kva Who was Divided wore power armour or terminator armour, as I could use 2 Tartaros as his body guard.

FYI, the black head is Hvarls and it looks good, but my favourite is the primaris head with the mohican

Dante's back on the jam and it looks GOOOD. Love the large axes

Cheers, the large axes were a bit of a happy accident to be fair, but I really like them.

The only thing is whether I should keep the blades mixed or go all Dwarven or all Fyre Slayer

FYI, the black head is Hvarls and it looks good, but my favourite is the primaris head with the mohican

Aye, I think that one is my favourite too, looks like he's got a mould-line running down from the hair to the ear though. :wink: