Dantay's VI Legion. Hvarls Headtakers

Dantay VI

Well in theory viking means expedition, either a raid, for exploration, to trade, or a combination. For some reason we seem to call the Norse, Danes, and Sweads as just Vikings. In a sense the original Angles, Engles, Saxons and Franks were viking. Not sure what the old German for viking was though.

I'm not sure what the actual term would be. The root wic, comes from the same source. In Old English, it means 'place' (hence placenames like Ipswich etc.), while the Old Norse vik  means 'stream'. I suspect there's an older common root that combines the idea of settling down near running water. Perhaps there's a cultural reason the Scandinavians came to associate it more with the water, and the English with the land? In that case, Wicing might be a comparable neologism.

Alternatively, you could combine some proto-English roots to get darestymen; a man who ventures. It's got undertones of being a little unwelcome or presumptuous. For a more nautical theme, you could use searaker or seaforetrekker. A more neutral term might be thristling, from the Old English thriste for daring or venturesome. 

+++

Anyway, rather off-topic! These Space Wolves are fantastic – 30k-era Wolves seem surprisingly rare to me, so it's great to see someone so talented get their teeth into them. All the freehand work is brilliant, and the latest shields in particular are great. 

Regarding the camo cloaks, I'd be inclined just to use a single colour, as it'd fit in better with the feel of the army than comparatively modern camo. Alternatively, perhaps a plaid?

Old Norse Vik was also used for creeks, inlet, and was also used for harbour. Many places the Norse found got the -vik in the name. In old English Wic could also be used for refuge and camp, I imagine for a seafaring culture you would set up your camps where you could get your ships in and out, but as time passed and your culture became based more inland, the term would come to mean place. So stream, creek, inlet, harbour becomes the place where camps are, and then the word becomes used anywhere the camp is set, near water or not. When the Norse came to the Bitish Isles they still had a culture based around the water, one where they tended to base themselves near safe harbour or along the long deep rivers, while the Saxons were more focused on dry land. I love this stuff, I could honestly discuss it all day.

Sorry for the off topicness!

Again love your Space Wolves Dantay

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Apologist & Hydra, wow, thanks for looking in. Sorry for the late response too, I am a bit patchy on here.

I actually thought the cloaks looked alright with the charadon granite, then agrax wash, gave them a worn leather-ish look. The idea behind doing the camo, was to introduce the modern Space Wolves colours as a kind of tie-in.

As I have now broken the vow to get them done by the end of August, I can go back and explore your ideas a bit more. Plaid, I am not so sure of, but I am sure I could find some muted tartan like colours to use.

I have 2 weeks of painting time to spend on these guys, so ther is now time to experiment. BTW I absolutely love the work you do Apologist, and I hope at some point to emulate what you can do

I'll post later tonight or tomorrow with ideas for the Wolves recon.

In the meantime, this is what I will be doing as a side project. Not sure if I can get him done for September, but I will try. I was unaware that the start had been moved forward by one month, if I had been I would have brought Vykryl with me.

With regards to the fluff. I wrote it a while back for Korianna, and I ran it past Flint13 who made some editorial changes. So a big thanks to Flint for this piece and for the inspiration which went with Fafnir, who was going to be the central part of my story.

The text is a WIP as is the model, so ideas or suggestions would be supremely welcome.

A Tale of 18 Hobbyists.

The beginning.

In the hold of the Scramaseax, mighty warship  of the Wolves, A figure clad in darkest black stepped from the shadows, into the firepits flickering light. Once all the wolves were gathered Vykryl, Wolf Priest to this band of warriors drew himself to his full height and began:

Brothers, you may wonder why you have been chosen. You may wonder why we are far from home. These are uncertain times and we do not yet know who deserves our trust. But we do know of one who has committed the greatest betrayal of all.

Russ himself has dispatched us, not as Hearthguard as we have told our kin, but as Vengeance Seekers, Now I may speak of why we have come. I may tell you of why we follow Fafnir Vol’kyr into a fight that wasn’t ours to begin with.

We are here to hunt down Keldane Blackfox, traitor and our once-brother.

Keldane came to the Wolves as part of an exchange. Kurze could see how isolated and insular his own legion was becoming. He petitioned his brother primarchs to accept emissaries from the Night Lords. Anything in an attempt to foster bonds of fellowship between his Legion and the others.

Most of the Nobler Legions refused Kurze’s request. They did not wish to pollute their ranks with the Night Haunters tainted sons. We know what the legions think we are, and we know what we really are. We are not of the noble sons like Guilliman, Sanguinius,  Dorn or Jonson’s benighted scions. We are the outcast, the barbarians, the savages… like Angron’s 12th, Kurze’s 8th, the Khan’s 5th.

However some agreed to his request

Russ was one of the few….

Like Russ, Konrad Curze knew that sometimes justice had to be earned upon the point of a sword. Sometimes peace had to be bought with blood. Sometimes a populace has to fear us more than its masters before they can truly accept the enlightenment we were once brought. 

This is a lesson that Russ and Curze learned well. For are we not the animals in the dark? Animals whose howls bring terror to the hearts of our foes?.... We each bring our own brand of fear, as a weapon. The Rout, bestial wolves, and the Haunter’s, night cloaked stalkers…

We cannot know the mind of a Primarch, even though we are of their blood. Who knows why Russ listened to that hell-spawned wretch he once called brother. Maybe Russ tried to see the good in him? Maybe he thought a show of kinship might have helped curb some of his brother’s many excesses. Maybe Russ heard his brother’s plea for help and held out a hand in his own, feral way, hoping against hope to bring him back from the darkness that had been threatening to swallow Kurze whole.

Or maybe Russ, like Konrad, knew that they were all flawed. After Kurze’s secret, shared in confidence, was cruelly revealed by Fulgrim, the request of Kurze was a way to bring redemption for his son. Maybe our father was willing to offer him that chance.

Whatever may, shortly after Russ agreed, Kurze sent us his emissary. He sent us Keldane… The Blackfox.

Keldane wasn’t of the pack. He was almost instantly rejected by those of Fyf. But as it was Russ’ decree, none could gainsay him. His word is law and to break his law is death. Even though our instincts railed against this… intruder, we stayed our hands in early retribution. How I now regret that I did not forfeit my life to rid us of the curse that was to come.

So as one, we set out make Keldane leave, either by choice or on the red ice.
We made sure that Keldane drew the most arduous and dangerous of tasks from within Fyf. It wasn’t his wyrd to die in some mis-begotten challenge, for he was a bad star and so he kept returning when better men did not. How he managed this, none know, but he earned his name on the ice. We called him Blackfox for his heart was darker than the Nostraman night, and his mind as clever and cunning as the mountain vulpine…

Eventually he forced his way into the pack, for none could doubt his arm, or, unbelievably, his loyalty to the company. This was how the thread of Blackfox became intertwined with that of Great Fafnir Vol’kyr.

Fafnir was a menhir of a man, as broad as he was tall. He was quiet and brooding. Many thought him touched by Lokyar, that he would be inducted into the scouts, however this was not to pass. In time, whether through cursed luck or no, he was to become the reluctant warden of the Blackfox. What started out as wariness, verging on outright hostility, eventually became a grudging respect and finally a friendship forged in battle.

Fafnir came to rely on Keldane’s insights and cunning, Blackfox on Fafnir’s skill of the hunt. They often embarked onto the ice together to run down beasts and game. As time went on Fafnir became more gregarious , more likeable and so his standing within the company grew., With Fafnir’s star on the ascendancy, so too did Keldane begin to have more of an influence on the affairs of the company. He eventually even gained a grudging acceptance as a brother of Fyf. While Fafnir learned from Blackfox and became a central figure within the company, so too did Keldane learn from Fafnir. Who knows what secrets he may have gleaned, but his skills as a hunter grew to rival that of any of the Rout.

Then even outside of the hunt, they became almost inseparable. They were mirror images of one another in almost every sense, often found in company and always fighting back to back amongst the thickest of foes.

But alas the mirror was cracked, the reflection of Fafnir in Blackfox was twisted and flawed. Such was the pride of the Wolves that we did not see it until it was too late. When Keldane left, he took with him all the skills learned on the ice. He allowed Kurze’s twisted heart to poison that which we had taught him. Gone was the honour, gone was the pride, gone was the Keldane we knew and called once called brother.

Keldane became the Night Haunters pre-eminent hunter. Not of Ork or Eldar or of beast. No, he broke his bonds of loyalty and became the hunter of his own kin.

The betrayal of the Blackfox hit Fafnir hard, as only such base treachery could… It drove him to the edge of sanity and we almost lost him to the Wulfen, such was his pain. Now we hunt, for it is not Fafnir’s shame alone to bear. Blackfox made fools of us all and so he must be made to pay. Keldane may believe he is the perfect hunter, but it was us who taught him and it will be us to bring him low. We may be old dogs, but we never give up all our tricks!

So brothers, finish your mjod. Go now to prepare your arms and armour. Tonight we go to hunt one who was once of our own. We have tracked Keldane Once-Brother, to Korianna and it is time to make this hunter, become the hunted. We shall run him to ground.

And if we have to kill every whore-son Night Lord & traitor that stands in our path, in order to get to that piece of skitja we once taught and trusted then so much the better…

We do this deed for Fafnir!!

SAM 2475

SAM 2476

SAM 2477

SAM 2478

SAM 2479

SAM 2481

SAM 2480

SAM 2482

For my monthly vow, I introduce Vykryl. Not sure if he will be run as a Centurion type or another Praetor. He is in essence a Wolf Priest, but I am not sure if Chaplains or an HQ of that type exist in 30K.
I'll need to pore over the books and come back with points for the model. Needs a lot of work and I will not get to him until mid-month atleast, so Fingers crossed I can get him done.

I am hoping that as the months go on,I can add to the story a little and also make it linked.

Thanks for looking and reading. And if you bump into Flint Thank her too.

While not strictly part of this, here is the link to Fafnir :smile.:  Enjoy

Edited by dantay_xv

• 1 month later...

Well, its been a while... I opted out of the September vow for the Tale of 18 hobbyists and went instead with this little lot for my October vow.

Anyways, what I am working on for a tale of 18 hobbyists....

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/russ_by_d1sarmon1a-d8qeuds_zpsvfrouvjs.jpg

Okay doke then,

I dantay_xv, have risen from the red snow to pledge to The Allfather and Russ an army of 2000 points or more..

For my first pledge it will be a 10 man assault unit. 1 power weapon, 9 marines with melta bombs.. Sergeant with artificer armour, power weapon and melta bomb for 320 points.

Centurion with Chaplain upgrade, Terminator upgrade, 120 points, will upgrade to thunder hammer, but not sure if allowed, otherwise, the TH will just be a stylized crozius. :smile.:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151006_124824.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151006_124842.jpg

Glory to the 6th

I am a bit annoyed that I have lost one of my mark 3 assault marines, so a mark 5 has stepped in for now,however he will go back to his parent squad when I can either find the missing guy or come up with another mark 3 replacement :)

Let me know what you think

Thank you Atia, Wolf_Pack & Kurama.

Assault troops is something I have wanted to do for the longest time and in 40K I can use them as either Sky Claws or Jump Pack Wolf Guard.

They are half of my assault troops so far, which eventually will become doubled again so they can run as 4 10 man units each of a single mark or 2 20 man units.

And yes, I really hope these guys are under-rated... I just love the idea of added mobility and bounding from place to place, rather than traditional wolf tactics of drop pods everywhere. Plus they are troops :D

A brief update for those who haven't seen the tale of 18 hobbyists....

A quick PIP and I warn you now, the gold is horrifically messy, but do not fear, masking and covering up with the  grey and black will fix it right up.

Also let me know what you think of the reds!!

Tomorrow is steel and clean up, should be getting to the home stretch

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151010_223504.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151010_223938.jpg

Should I do red face plate and black helmet top like the terminators or red face plate but grey helmet top??

Unless my Search-Fu is really weak tonight, I haven't seen that much by way of VI Legion. I'm glad I've seen this :happy.:

Thanks Kriegriss, yes the dwarf bits are ace!! It helps get a loot more across than pelts and totems and all the other paraphernalia, that GW love whacking on the models.

Vikings were more than pirates and killers, hey were skilled artisans, farmers traders etc, I wanted to show that the Wolves are not just one dimensional, but they have great skills in other areas too. Crafting weapons  and otherthings, storyteling etc... Rather than just beer swilling vikings in space spoiling for a fight :)

Aquilanus, your search fu is not weak, for the 30K 6th legion is few, just as our numbers became dangerously low after Alaaxes... 200Plus, myself and Wolf Lord Kieran are probably the 3 I acn think of who visit the 30K forums regularly.

I think many are waiting for Forgeworld to release inferno before they dip their toes in :)

ut do not worry the watch packs are lurking and we will be ready should the time some :p

Aquilanus, your search fu is not weak, for the 30K 6th legion is few, just as our numbers became dangerously low after Alaaxes... 200Plus, myself and Wolf Lord Kieran are probably the 3 I acn think of who visit the 30K forums regularly.

Well, it's good to see. As I've said elsewhere, I originally cut my fangs on Space Wolves when I was but a pup. After seeing this and one of Hyaenidae's posts, I might just revisit them again (despite being "retired" :laugh.: ) I quite like the idea of going back to "proper" grey than blue grey...

Now, on to find Alaaxes', 200plus and WLK's topics... :happy.:

Hi Aquilanus. You may be "retired", but there is nothing to stop you re-emlisting.... Welcome back to the pack Marine... Your armour and bolter are waiting for you, now fall in & earn glory for the  All Father, Russ and the VIth legion :D 

Alaaxes, is the Nebula in which the Space Wolves become entangled, after being attacked by the Alpha Legion, just after the razing of Prospero... So take a look at the topics based around the Wolf King story for more info on that :smile.:

Edited by dantay_xv

I am making slow headway with my Assault marines, I'll explain why in a bit.

Anyway a group shot.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224517.jpg

As you can see I have included the recon marines who still sit unfinished. It was actually a bit embarassing. I had to stop painting last time out because I had run out of Black paint, dim-wit eh?

Now for squad shots

Recon Squad, unknown designation...

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224809.jpg

Squad leader is far right, Muscles is in the middle and the tracker is just to his left. I am envisioning doing the base of Tracker with a wee bit of rubble and blood spater trailing away. If I get fluff done for them anytime soon, you will learn why :wink:

Centre Recon Marine (Muscles) has been named Hjold Halfborn by Brother SP

First 5 Assault Marines

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224609.jpg

Centre Marine is named Kiaran Coldheart after the Aett's favourite Wolf Lord, second from the left is Wolfblade's Wolf, Coldheart's trusted lieutenant.. to be named :)

Second 5 Assault Marines

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224720.jpg

Second from right has been chosen by The Psycho.. Name to follow Wolf furthest to the right has been given over to Kassill and bears his name (unless he chooses to change it)

If you are curious about the blue on the axes, it is to help me work out where the light and shadow are for when I paint them tomorrow.

Now for some bits I am quite happy with.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_225135.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_225017.jpg

Faces. Considering most of my 40K Wolves have bare heads as do the Recon Marines, I find them quite hard to do, so I am pretty proud of these 2. They look a darn sight better than in the pics, light seems to have washed them out a bit. They ar 95% done, and next will be the hair. If run in 40K they can be jump pack Wlf Guard, or Sky Claws, the bare head will be the Pack Leader :biggrin.: Old dog leading young pups

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_224956.jpg

An unfortunate accident meant he quite literally lost his hand.... And I have no idea where it has gone to, so now he has one hand :biggrin.:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151012_225055.jpg

Quite a few of my Mark 2 Marines are wearing these on their arms, I was wanting a bit of advice. Should I leave them gold, or should I leave the trim & runes gold, but do the inlay another colour? Grey to match the armour, or black or maybe red??

Last thing.

None of these guys have names.... Except 1, The Mark 3 with the big axe... I am thinking to name him, Kiaran Coldheart. Shout out to fellow Wolf Lord WLK :biggrin.:

Anyhoo, I would like to invite folks to pick a pack member and name him. I am going to open tis up to the tale of 18 hobbyist guys also, so if you do not get t name 1 there is plenty more. Next month is tank month though :wink:

Hopefully the painting has stayed true to the only piece of HH Wolf artwork we have.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Heresy%20Wolves.jpg

Anyways let me know what you think

Edited by dantay_xv

Another brief update.... Had a crack at trying out coloured metals. To represent the blades being forged in the Ice of Fenris.

Was a third attempt and I am reasonably happy. The 3 big learning points for me were that:

1. it is much harder to do this effect on axes than swords. 

2. It is much harder to pull off at small scale compared to large scale.

3. It is pretty time consuming doing it by hand.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151014_121440.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151014_121655.jpg

Also the facing of the axe dictated where the light and dark would fall which made things pretty tricky to gauge. Hopefully it looks alright... These are still messy and a work in progress.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151014_121703.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151014_121527.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151014_121505.jpg

I think it needs a touch oh mithril silver on the tips and also where the cutting edge meets the face for a bit more definition.

However a new conundrum has arisen:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151014_121548.jpg

What to do with the centre sections of the axes? I was thinking a black metal look, but not sure. I do not want to do the centre sections in gold, I may reserve that for the swirlies... Any ideas??

Wow, Hi Brother Heinrich.... Thanks for taking a look, I know Wolves are not one of your favourite legions. A big fan of your Night Lords and The Blood Angels :smile.:

Being on an oil rig and nothing much to do for about 3-4 hours each night, I get to pour a decent amount of time into my painting, even if they are only going to be line troops. Bases wise, I have been looking at an urban-winter  kind of base. Its how I kind of started my cataphractii, and my Jarl and something I think I will continue on with.

Originally they were going to be just grey/green bases to blend into the average table, but when Flint started running the now defunct Siege of Korianna, I was hoping to pop a few models into it, so I was going to go with a wintery urban, but it stopped before I could get involved.

I have kept most of my resin off-cuts and quite a lot will make good city rubble. :smile.:

If you have any thoughts or ideas for basing my Ice-blade pack, then I am all ears. Bases are the one bit I struggle with, I am fairly conservative and unimaginative in that regard, so yeah, any ideas that might look cool, or tips on how to do decent bases then fire them at me 

Yay Brother Heinrich looked and commented on my Plog !!!

Hi Legionnary Pallas, I finished off all the blades for the axes and added the first coat of gold for decoration. I took 2 of the axes and tried the black/ dark metal in the centre. We will see how it goes when the  gold swirly is done, but it looks promising. No pictures tonight, maybe tomorrow when I get a bit more progress done :smile.:

You know how I said I was dim-witted and couldn't get the recon guys done because I ran out of black.

Well numb-nuts that I am, I left my reserve pot of grey at home which I use for painting Wolves armour. So I am either stymied and stop  till I get home after doing the axes, or I start mixing greys and blacks :blink.: 

Edited by dantay_xv

Thank you for the kind offer Aquilanus, but I do not think we get post on the oilrigs out here unless our companies arrange to get it put on a boat or helicopter.

I get home on Monday, so I should be fine, just can't believe I made the same mistake twice in 2 trips :D