Dantay's VI Legion. Hvarls Headtakers

Dantay VI

FYI, the black head is Hvarls and it looks good, but my favourite is the primaris head with the mohican

Aye, I think that one is my favourite too, looks like he's got a mould-line running down from the hair to the ear though. :wink:

I think it is a scar on his face?

I am being a bit of a hobby butterfly and jumping from project to project, so much to do.

So in order to get a bit of practice in with a brush (more than 6 months since I last raised a paint brush, maybe September last year?) I decided to work on some Deathsworn and a moritat.

You can see where I have been a bit out of practice, especially on the gold of the shoulderpads
What colour should I make the grille on the moritat?

Iron more or less done.

Axes need a lot more work on the silvers, before trying to make them loo more frosty.

Then reds, leathers and bronze before tidy up on the armor and making it look black.

What do you think?

Any hints and tips more than welcome.

Thanks for looking :)

GSncAsI.jpg

qj9w87g.jpg

zTYFh0J.jpg

bUneo4f.jpg

u9PXTzf.jpg

wDwsKQ2.jpg

ySd3wD8.jpg

41ahcYg.jpg

U2Oqkj6.jpg

FbYF68p.jpg

ZCaDJXt.jpg

cRc0nZL.jpg

5bmnXpK.jpg

YGm8Tgp.jpg

FgD9r6U.jpg

kUj8OeP.jpg

pxX30qU.jpg

w6RikrO.jpg

The glowing green eyes are well done and give the Deathsworn a most sinister aspect. I think the Moritat's grill works well being the same colour as the rest of the armour, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

The glowing green eyes are well done and give the Deathsworn a most sinister aspect. I think the Moritat's grill works well being the same colour as the rest of the armour, actually.

Thanks Pearson73. I do all the lenses green, as I think it suits the Wolves better.Sinister is what I was aiming for :) The moritat grille is now a darker grey, almost black.

Nice and fearsome

Cheers Bluntblade.

Deathsworn are being fitted up for bases and gloss varnish drying for decals :)

Completed pictures will be up soon

In the meantime, a few other projects which I need some advice on.

Praetor:

fMCguL8.jpg

ECXXY08.jpg

lXpRako.jpg

Quite happy with this one, rotated the right arm almost 90 degrees so it looks like he has struck with his blade. Struggled with the left hand as to what to do, so went with the knife.

Its a weird option as a praetor cannot take a combat blade., Will likely strap a side arm on him.

Also did a head swap. as the positioning of the original head was just stupid. Might trim off the beard plait, as not sure if I can get it to look okay with the head as it is.

Trimmed down all the furs and took out all the flat chunky sections on the cloak so it flows better.

For the praetor, do I stick with the sword, or swap it out for an ave or something similar?

Replaced the lopped off head and will make a fur collar to hide the mess

eH5S7sv.jpg

Not Njal:

ocX9MZT.jpg

82Z4xdq.jpg

Originally was going to use the arms and bottom half of the Traitor librarian with Njals torso, but the cutting involved etc was looknig too complex so chickened out.

Eventually settled on just the arm swap, as the model is so busy, it could be any type of terminator armour under all the runes etc.

I did go with the arms though.

I like the flaming arm as it looks like he is getting ready to hurl it at someone, but not totally sold on the axe.

Do I ditch the axe and use a varagyr axe instead? Or do I do a chop shop on Njals staff and put it in his right hand?

What else could I do to make him look less like Njal, or do I let the paint job do that for me?

Traitor Librarian:

R5cRcwq.jpg

jRq9Yc1.jpg

Decided I hated the legs, as it made him fall backwards, so decided to hack upi the legion tribune model for legs and arms.

Weirdly enough it doesnt look that librarian-y anymore.

Was hoping to make it look like he is swinging his arm around as if to launch a spell or strike, but not sure if the model really conveys the motion enough. Am also going to give him some kind of staff too.

Should I face the staff so the head is to the right as if swinging around or t the left as if jabbing forward or casting? or swap for a big axe?

How to make more wolfy? Want to keep the original face

Last but not least Hvarl.

QDM9BRe.jpg

PMqliMC.jpg

8xiDUfM.jpg

xIrjrhI.jpg

More or less stuck to the original but some things I really did not like.

Got rid of the head and swapped it for Krom's

Took the axe from the raised in the air waving position to something  little more combative by rotating it 90 degrees.

Added a casulty to the display base to further emphasise this point. A left over from Kharns base which was never used.

Added the missing grenade harness

Pimped his cloak a bit. Basically used blue stuff and did a mold of Angrons cloak. Hvarl is the Headtaker and the cloak has skulls on it from heads he has taken :)

The cloak might be a bit much... I have checked and it does not hang t low when on his 40mm base which is fine and will need some fettling to get it it look more natural. Is the cloak a bit OTT?

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Brother Pheidias

Went into a bit of a trance and ended up making a few more models...

This one, I am not sure what to do with, or what he should be. Any ideas?

The Narik Dreygur model was initially going to be used to make a legion praevian (robot controller) so an Iron Priest hybrid.

Guess that didnt work out in the end.

So where does he fit within the Rout?

LFulbRe.jpg

CiIlyIW.jpg

lIrOK3P.jpg

In the end this guy became the robot controller Praevian.

Had a bear of a time with his backpack

APgqTWi.jpg

T9QVrNr.jpg

FYuD6mH.jpg

As for the Iron Priest, a bit of a mash-up with a tech-priest enginseer

The hammer head severely drooped, so either replace, or remove and maybe pin it in place.

Cyphers plasma gun looks good as a helfrost pistol eh??

zZRoZRT.jpg

zBvP5r9.jpg

and to have some fun with this guy. Needs some servo arms, and maybe a raven!!

Ss1JM8G.jpg

Now, as I gave the guy at the head of the post, the praetors dagger, I have stuck an axe on him... Keep it or trade for a side-arm?

RW2UxVQ.jpg

And finally the rune priest, got a cloak left over from Asterian Moloc, so carved it slightly to fit and manged to eventually get Njals staff fitted relatively straight.

Plan to press mould a few wolf skulls and maybe file off the human skulls on his front and replace them

CAcsyUe.jpg

fcmHnwJ.jpg

Thoughts??

The Dreygur conversion is masterful, what an absolutely fantastic model. I do struggle to place him in the Rout, he looks almost like an assassin or sabatouer (so could perhaps be used as a Vigilator) which seems to jar with the Wolves' way of doing things. The Praevian's backpack is nicely done as well.

The Dreygur conversion is masterful, what an absolutely fantastic model. I do struggle to place him in the Rout, he looks almost like an assassin or sabatouer (so could perhaps be used as a Vigilator) which seems to jar with the Wolves' way of doing things. The Praevian's backpack is nicely done as well.

Thanks Pearson73.

I quite like the idea of a vigilator, Someone to lead the recon marines & seekers as a scout force. Could be fun!! :D

Although I do also like Pheidias' suggestion too

Narik as a Legion Champion with Paragon Blade and plasma pistol, the allfathers prowling lone wolf? An assassin, but Fenrisian. Think Odinic guile-hero who knows where to plant the blade (ID and AP2).

Now that would be cool, the wiry champion who prowls the front lines, calling out the opposing champions and dispatching them in gorey fashion.

I like it...... Hmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Pacific81

While offshore I opted to try and finish up loose ends, so I brought out my old veteran squad and the deathsworn.

I have bought some laser printer decal paper, as I tried the inkjet and really struggled with the decal sealant. Plus I can print at work.

mwIxsMh.jpg

zB6d0Lg.jpg

dJz9Cw7.jpg

JKcxA8F.jpg

Got the bases done bar some sand, will do some decals for the arm guards and power fist, maybe something for the pack markings also.

I do have a question though, I am starting to think there is too much going on colour wise which is taking away from the grey of the armour. Shoud I re-do the helms and make them grey rather than the brown leathery colours,but keep the specked helm look?

Deathsworn are done bar a decal for the knee pad, which is why it is so shiny, as been glossed in preparation

WTKO42f.jpg

SXPu4zD.jpg

smt21KA.jpg

x3tHZuu.jpg

CnqHft4.jpg

mzFlAiy.jpg

vbiiSmr.jpg

Again, a quick question, I gt some pigment powder, how do I apply it and get it to stick?

Lastly. Been trying some colour shift paint from greenstuffworld. This is toxic purple. Was going to go for purple with a green colour shift for Alpha legion. It looks better in person, but not 100% sure.

Its for the corpses on Rogal Dorn's base..

Yb8Ns9h.jpg

8hxQct7.jpg

second picture is on the letft side which I did green, the centre is gloss black, the right side was done with hexed lichen purple.

All looks excellent. I think the Vets look fine as is, they should stand out from your regular troops. If you're still concerned perhaps wash down one of the colours to mute it.

Im getting more of an Ironhands vibe with the purple green shift rather than Alphas, but then that was probably the idea all along.

• 2 months later...

All looks excellent. I think the Vets look fine as is, they should stand out from your regular troops. If you're still concerned perhaps wash down one of the colours to mute it.

Im getting more of an Ironhands vibe with the purple green shift rather than Alphas, but then that was probably the idea all along.

Sorry for such a late reply.

Yes the colour shift doesnt work, s will g back to the drawing board on the Alpha Legion corpse

I have been working on some Grey Slayers.  I am putting togther a 20 man grey slayer squad, I have the pack 90% done but the Thegn....

Which weapon looks best?

iymJ4tb.jpg

bCrSAFM.jpg

y8hn7bU.jpg

MJeFsfD.jpg

Thanks for looking

Seems the spear (or harpoon from the Karadron Overlord kit) is really popular.

I was going to go with sword but changed it over. I am not sure what it should count as.... Frost weapon of some sort I guess, its not heavy-duty enough to proxy as a power fist :D

I put a sword on his back and would love to add an axe, just not sure  where.

FwhCDat.jpg

Hh7htcd.jpg

2Vwx4kW.jpg

5THqKuc.jpg

K1T0Ci7.jpg

MIlzdpw.jpg

HTdTSZx.jpg

zB8dU93.jpg

2GOHRZJ.jpg

sd3AWjk.jpg

rZrkHds.jpg

sPzSyIH.jpg

DQy9Hqu.jpg

twrX9cT.jpg

8nIuyz7.jpg

Considering swapping this to power fist for more close combat Ooomph!!

U3bV2FP.jpg

lwOklTN.jpg

ppy7kds.jpg

Need to add some comms stuff

N6OLVCP.jpg

vyQnihv.jpg

vKNfbna.jpg

XZJHVyl.jpg

Banner bearer

• 2 months later...

Jings 2 months since I last posted on here.

I do not know about anyone else, but I have been feeling quite out of sorts hobby-wise and struggling to remain motivated.

This might be a bit heretical, but I hate building models... I'd gladly pay someone to do it for me. So many ideas,but hate trying to cack-handedly try to execute them.

That said I need t get my mojo back and start painting. To try and push this along I signed up to Lil Legends on Patreon and been enjoying his work,some of it really insightful. So I have started to revamp my paints. I ordered a big bunch of scale color 75 stuff and some Wilder aqua line water based oil paints.

Will have to see how it goes, hopefully well.

Anyhoo, as you cant paint until you build stuff I have taken a stab at a few things. 

On the Heresy front, been working on 20 mrk 3 marines which came airbrushed grey and ace scenic bases...Would love to know how they were done especially the bases (brilliant ebay purchase)

Ltd9HWR.jpg

Praevian, which will be given a big-ass hammer so he can run as Iron Priest

SCe4191.jpg

And lastly a vigilator (will fix his droopy barrel) can't decide on head and whether to stick with original mark 4 legs or use Kroms mark 6 legs (late heresy as not seen on Prospero during the burning)

9UgmtpY.jpg

WUR3WOx.jpg

QRn3ACQ.jpg

BCIYKon.jpg

7QtUIDU.jpg

JjjzmUh.jpg

1 to 6, you choose....

I think switching the legs out and using the Wolf head is the best option here, makes the model stand out from any other Vigilators you may encounter, plus looks more at home within the legion. Similarly, the Praevian looks cracking with the torso swap, much more at home within the VIth.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Pearson. In the end I went wit the Primaris head as the Space Wolves head was too awkward to position properly with the stupid beardy pleat.

Well, been quiet again, but decided to get some half finished buts done from 2019, before pushing on with anything new. So back to my 20 man 30K tactical squad. That can also be split down to 2 bare bones grey hunter squads.

Got them all to the same level of completion, which meant finishing up a lot of odds and sods.

6ADR7KP.jpg

I managed to get some Windsor & Newton, water mixable oils, so tried these out for pinwashing and also putting a coating over the detalls on the pauldron and helmets to provide some "age". For all 20. The pinwashing took HOURS!! because f all the recesses on mark 3. I nearl lost the will to live.

Before:

uCH7eCt.jpg

After: 

t5xuFKa.jpg

iSzlQhz.jpg

Then added a simple packmarking to all the Wolves, may add a rune or 2 to each of them when I go home and have my decal to hand.

The red is a bit bright, but it looks like freshly spilled blood, so quite happy with it.

Ps16wD7.jpg

130eBQK.jpg

May need to dull the red down as the ink has left it a little glossy, will see tomorrow.

Also need to do something to "rough up" the grey as it looks way too pristine

Also did the dragon designs on my Deredeo

tHwdEQ4.jpg

A productive few days.

What do you think??

Where did the mkv helmet with the optics come from?

The mark 5 helmet came with the FW Praevian kit. You also get a bare head with it. I oped to use the mark 4 with optics on the Praevian which came with the FW vigilator set. 

The Vigilators head is from the Shadow Spear Lt.

Hja Brother , the Armor is looking so good!  Great Job! 

Cheers

Lord Blackwood :tu:

I think those pin washes were worth the effort, they improve the armour considerably. The dragons work well on the Deredeo and really bring some personality and interest to those large blank areas of the torso.