++// 2015 Augustus' Arena \\++ EVENT ENDED

I, Reinhard, challenge Badaab to build, paint, and base a squad of tactical marines. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

I, Badaab, accept the challenge put forth by Reinhard to build, paint, and base a squad of Aurora Chapter Space Marines by 31 March, 2015.  I'll be placing WIP pics in their own thread later this week.

@Forte - do you normally use the different pigments once one is dry? They just seem to blend into one neutral tone to me. More practice I guess.

I usually use them dry and use them in different areas so you get a blend where they meet. I'll pm you a pic as the last thing I did isn't B&C compatible.

@Forte - Thanks! Perhaps I just need more contrasting pigments as well as more practice

@Flint - Dantay is probably experience and skill but my technique is a very small brush and blind luck (no witchery involved :) )

I present the first pic of my challenge, the WIP picture of the combat squad pre-priming (sorry about the quality):

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-02-19220522_zps2b890ac0.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2015-02-19220557_zps0d248324.jpg

Owing to my faster-than-expected recovery from shoulder surgery (didn't think I'd be out of a sling till today at least, yet only worn it briefly for the past three days)...

I, Carlson793, step into Augustus' Arena with pride and hereby proclaim my participation. Challenge me if you dare - and PM me beforehand so you know what I can accept.

I have never properly painted black on a mini before but I do like the positioning of the bikes! Esthetically, will you be going with green wings or red ones?

Was going to go with the DV paint scheme, a kind of off white with gold trim. BTW you don't seem to be listed on the first page in the march 15th challengers, you might want to check this out with the OP, I know I had to re-fix my challenge and acceptance so maybe it's to do with that. Anyway hope to get a bit done over the weekend, will post pics.

I have never properly painted black on a mini before but I do like the positioning of the bikes! Esthetically, will you be going with green wings or red ones?

Was going to go with the DV paint scheme, a kind of off white with gold trim. BTW you don't seem to be listed on the first page in the march 15th challengers, you might want to check this out with the OP, I know I had to re-fix my challenge and acceptance so maybe it's to do with that. Anyway hope to get a bit done over the weekend, will post pics.

how strange...I was there previously. Augustus could you add me back into the list as I have accepted and posted my initial models.

Just a little wip shot while I'm waiting on greenstuff to dry...

11002654_1006311339398846_85225463403023

I wanted my Marshal to have a bit more intensity then the standard model High Marshal so I started off with a set of running legs. From there I've just kit bashed a few things from the BT sprue, sternguard kit, and the bits box. I've still got to add a tabard and a few more pieces like the combi melta and backpack of course.

10959329_1006311342732179_52611388454866

Magnetized so I can swap arms in the future for different builds. And my greenstuff chains look like crud. :/ 

Chains are a pain to sculpt already in situ, so why not get a cheap necklace chain and use that instead? I've stolen them from my other half's crafting supplies before. I am liking the pose on the model, very Target... sorry Templary.

I, Adra'Melek, challenge Carlson793, to build, paint, and base two Apothecaries for the Salamanders Legion. If s/he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his/hers. If s/he accepts and fails, s/he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

I, Adra'Melek, challenge Carlson793, to build, paint, and base two Apothecaries for the Salamanders Legion. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

I, Carlson793, accept the challenge set to me by Adra'Melek, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing two Salamanders Apothecaries before March 15th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

Into the fires of the painting lamp; unto the anvil of the paint pot!

I wanted my Marshal to have a bit more intensity then the standard model High Marshal so I started off with a set of running legs. From there I've just kit bashed a few things from the BT sprue, sternguard kit, and the bits box. I've still got to add a tabard and a few more pieces like the combi melta and backpack of course.

Magnetized so I can swap arms in the future for different builds. And my greenstuff chains look like crud. :/ 

Chains are a pain to sculpt already in situ, so why not get a cheap necklace chain and use that instead? I've stolen them from my other half's crafting supplies before. I am liking the pose on the model, very Target... sorry Templary.

With regards to sculpting chains- are you trying to do it all in one go?  I've made that mistake before.  Try doing the under layer, that is the links that look like "O" and let it dry.  Then go in overtop and do the links that will be seen in profile.  You may also have a try at sculpting it flat, and then moving it into position on the model.

With regards to sculpting chains- are you trying to do it all in one go?  I've made that mistake before.  Try doing the under layer, that is the links that look like "O" and let it dry.  Then go in overtop and do the links that will be seen in profile.  You may also have a try at sculpting it flat, and then moving it into position on the model.

Lucio, great stuff I actually dug around in my wife's crafting stuff and found some chain that's just about the same size as the Templar molded chains so that worked out great.

Badaab, Yes I laid out everything then tried to make them and it didn't turn out too well. It didn't help that I wasn't able to get the chains as small as the ones already on the lantern.

Thanks for your input guys! Oh and check out my current progress here.

Bros and lady-bros, Father Night stands scary in midnight clad. And thus the first issued challenge of The Arena is complete.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/910/vb7F4W.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/Inr0bg.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/7Bka4U.jpg

Flint, that's the exact blue I would do for Night Lords. I want to say lovely but it's doesn't feel right.

I've made good progress in the last couple of days, painting like a proverbial. Here's the current progress.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/hammer_of_thunor/2456243d8b2d0ccce57a24a24d8a3a66.jpg

Archived