++// 2015 Augustus' Arena \\++ EVENT ENDED

Challenge Complete! Mutilators, known hereforth as Barkesh's Blades, are painted and based. Good luck to everyone still going. 
@Iron Skull Mask: Looking forward to seeing some updates buddy. Your dreadnought looks awesome, can't wait to see him get some buddies to bring ruin to the Imperium. 
More pics and fluff will be included in my Siege Makers thread later today. 

Well done, Beachymike123! I like those Mutilator conversions a lot! One suggestion: Maybe they would look even more awesome if you added some Shades. For example nuln oil has a nice effect with red, agrax earth shade looks nicly dirty on yellow and both work fine on bleached bone (I'm thinking of the blue one here). If you don't like shades, or are afraid of your greatly painted details, I can understand that, but I'm starting to like and use them them more and more. So maybe give it a try if you want to.

In regard to my dreads I can reveal that all parts I ordered have arrived, and that I already did most of the cleaning and prepartion already. So next week, everything is going to be blackened in the daemon forges of the hidden stronghold of the 53rd Grand Company. But I probably won't be able to start painting until early April since there are some special family and work related events coming up next week as well. Still, there should be no problem with the completion of the challenge before the deadline.

Its funny you should mention shades as I did in fact use them, but very sparingly. I'm going to try some of those methods on those colours you've mentioned, I hadn't thought of those combos. Liking the idea of a dirtier yellow too (btw I hate painting yellow so this sounds like a good shout, especially the way I want it to look). The blue guy was done using the same way as my Crimson Fists but with a black undercoat instead of white, but I do think the white undercoat is better as you can get better details to pop from it. Memo to self in future. 

Good luck my fellow Warsmith, I give all blessings from the Siege Makers to you in your endevour. You are creating beautiful Dreadnoughts, a testament to our Iron Master that we shall rise and conquer. Iron Within, Iron Without. 

First update for Augustus' Arena (2nd round). Have the Firedrakes in sub-assemblies: torso & legs, arm & shield, arm & hammer (not the baking soda), and head. Primus Medicae needs to be reprimered - have added his Apothecary most of bits. Shown here with poster putty holding the assemblies together.

(Lesson of Pic 1: When taking pictures of models with a background, make sure the camera focuses on the models, not the background...)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10505/gallery_80588_10505_124852.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10505/gallery_80588_10505_64906.jpg

(Lesson of Pic 3: See Lesson of Pic 1.)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10505/gallery_80588_10505_135135.jpg

(Lesson of Pic 4: You've seen the mold lines on the narthecium twice, Carlson; when're you gonna file 'em?!? Oh, and it just looks like the spot lights on the PM are bent forward; that's just the hunched-forward angle of the torso.)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10505/gallery_80588_10505_72296.jpg

Plan for tomorrow: filing ('bout time!), added primer, and testing some new paints on a waster model.

OK, so Alaric Tyr is nearly finished. I am slightly concerned I'm not making the most of him, though. I initially had this guy painted up with a lot more colours - red tassels and (some) gold bling - and it made him look far too busy. I was also going to do OSL on the eyepieces. I've limited the colour palette dramatically now - he's much more monotone and the OSL is nonexistent as I felt it was going to clutter up his helmet.

Any thoughts? Have I gone down the wrong path? I have not finished his jump pack yet, because I'm not sure if it should be 'active' - e.g. OSL and fire effect - to show it warming up as he's about to leap off this rocky crag, or if I should leave it deactivated. Any thoughts welcome.

Eventually this guy will have an RG transfer, and possibly the corpse of an as-yet undecided Traitor Legionnaire on the crag behind him, but as they require a bits box and access to a transfer sheet, neither of which do I have in my current country, they'll have to wait. For completion purposes, Tyr is at 90% and he'll be considered complete once the jump pack and any touchups resulting from criticism are finished. The photos have washed him out a lot, but I could still do another highlight layer.

Thoughts, brothers and sisters?

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020688_zps2e9uovwh.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020686_zpspywlflc8.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020687_zpshexnjdmc.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020689_zpsntdifhja.jpg

Final pic before paint :)

@Atia- it's not supposed to be Njal as much as take the concepts from the mini's that I like and combine them. I didn't like the new "runes" on the models as they seem orderly, however the new model has far more decoration. So, I went with a random convex rune like the old Njal with the extra bling of the newer version.

Should be ready for paint later today or early tomorrow unless someone has some improvements before then.

Staff looks great, and nice to see yu managed to get the ravens feet sorted out :)

Looking forward to the paint job on him, and already to plagiarise some of your ideas for my Rune Priest also :)

Are yu using pure green stuff or are you mixing it with something? Looks a little grey. I am mixing mine with milliput.

@Flint & Arkhan - thanks

@Dantay - Thanks. I am mixing some of it with milliput as well. I'm experimenting with curing times and edge forming capability (if that makes sense). Plagiarize Away, that's where all my good ideas came from :)

Arkhan, Tyr is lovely.  A subdued color scheme is much more fitting to the Ravens than blingy clutter.  I would vote to do OSL on the pack, all the same.  It doesn't qualify as ostentatious bling, and will add a good splash of color in a relatively reserved manner (being on his back rather than his front).  A brighter colored corpse on the base will add good contrast and make the model as a whole properly stand out, subdued or not. :smile.:

Or as an alternative, some freehanded wingy stuff on the main bulk of the Jump Pack will help break up the shape, while keeping to the already present color scheme.

Truly a model to be proud of.  

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d5/d5ad4a3a5ee5e81d51396e4ec1a0049d2b7f502977239fbc5095bb6571770b3e.jpg

Well, I have managed to finish my challenge on time.

It was challenging and fun to work on and paint this model. I learned new techniques and re-learned some old ones.

Instead of edge highlighting I tried a bit of layering/ blending in the grey's for the armour and picked out where I wanted highlight and shade. Especially on the legs, which I liked.

I learned BCK's tissue cape technique and found I suck at it, but I can adapt it and use paper towels. I learned to be tidier and when I was sloppy I tidied it up, I painted purple for the first time ever.

I got frustrated with the face as it is a bit slab sided, plus trying to pick out the cheek scars was a pain.

Overall though I had a blast taking time over a model. I know I did a few things wrong and they will be something I will work on in the next model, but for now. It is done!!

I present First Captain and former Legion Master, Jarl Gunn of Onn Company... The Winter-Wolf

20150323 000414

20150323 000427

20150323 000439

20150323 000449

20150323 000459

20150323 000512

20150323 000524

20150323 000524

Hope you like, C&C always welcome :)

Arkhan, Tyr is lovely.  A subdued color scheme is much more fitting to the Ravens than blingy clutter.  I would vote to do OSL on the pack, all the same.  It doesn't qualify as ostentatious bling, and will add a good splash of color in a relatively reserved manner (being on his back rather than his front).  A brighter colored corpse on the base will add good contrast and make the model as a whole properly stand out, subdued or not. :smile.:

Or as an alternative, some freehanded wingy stuff on the main bulk of the Jump Pack will help break up the shape, while keeping to the already present color scheme.

Truly a model to be proud of.  

Thank you very much indeed for the kind words. Highest praise, coming from you ;) I have to admit I think he's received better on here than in my own mind, but that may change once he's finished. I think you're right about the OSL on the pack exhaust, that will definitely be my next effort (though whether red or blue remains to be seen).

The freehand on the pack is a good idea, but I'm not practiced enough at freehand yet so will make do with XIX Legion transfers for now.

Should have him finished by the start of next week. Thanks again for the words!

Lets do this properly Bushman101 :wink:

I, Dolchiate Remembrancer, fearless rookie painter of the Crimson Sons of Vengeance, challenge my cousin of the Angel, Bushman101, to build, paint, and base a sanguinary priest to lead his forces in battle for the glory of the Emperor and under the pleasing sight of the Angel. If s/he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his/hers. If s/he accepts and fails, s/he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

I, bushman101, a dude with bad hair, do accept the challenge to paint a Sang Priest. I will complete this challenge by April 5th or risk drinking beer by myself wondering why i'm so lazy. I'll also wear the shame banner if i fail, i guess...

I challenge Dolchiate Remembrance to paint 5 Death Company models

I, Dolchiate Remembrancer, the keeper of the truths of the Dolchiate Sector, accept the challenge set to me by Bushman101, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing 5 Death Company Marines before April 19th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, the Angel's favor and the Emperor's blessing, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

Update two:

i'm realy fired up for my (Dark) Mechanicum force with all the Skitarii leaks floating around, so i've started to paint Draykavak (it's just primer and first layer of metal atm, but i forgott to take pictures after the assembling >.>)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10624/gallery_79873_10624_41837.jpg

Been mad busy with work this week, so a little late in reply, but MAN! There's early completions coming in and yet more challenges! Very cool! We're only 12 days away from the net deadline, so make you time count, people!!!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

@200plus: Nice facepalm on the scouts, mate ;) Also: that's a great Njal you built there. Although what's the big blob of white on his right shoulder?

@Grotsmasha: when you're stuck, post putty'd WIP pics and have us critique it - it's what the arena is for!

@Flint13 that guy looks gorgeours.

@BeachyMike: Congrats on the finished, matey!

@Dantay_xv: congrats on the model, dude! It deserves better pictures though! Your lighting is good, but you need to crop and get some sort of background going. I've PM'd you! ;)

@Fangbanger: I'm so looking forward to the finished result of those SW. :tu:

@200plus: Nice facepalm on the scouts, mate :wink: Also: that's a great Njal you built there. Although what's the big blob of white on his right shoulder?

that my lad... is a dragon ... wait, false movie ...  i think it's a raven :tongue.:

Archived