Base Update

madscuzzy

FYI folks, it is doable to drill out the centre of the 32mm to fit a normal 25mm.  We have seen adaptors made of laser cut stuff, but if you want the bevel like I did, here is how I pulled it off.  That is a 25mm circular saw, designed to cut holes into wood.  The current 32mm have enough structural strength to maintain its shape when cut.  :)

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/Tutorials/32mm.jpg

This is excellent!  I like the look of the 32mm bases but don't want to rebase my existing miniatures. I know that I don't have to, but it will bother me to have some on different bases than others :p .  Where did you get that drill? 

There is a height difference of about 0.5mm but that's not that much of an issue.  There is a gap between the 2 bases, which you can easily 'spot weld' using Super Glue and Acclerator (be careful with this though.  Some may eat into plastic.), Or you can use putty to hold it in place.   I use a powder additive to my superglue which accelerates and fills.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDI3MQ==/z/8fgAAOxy0zhTPU6E/$_35.JPG

I'm not sure I understand why you would need to do this? GW didn't change the size of the standard base did they?

It's not required that you change your bases from what they came with originally, but the new standards base size is 32mm. 

Have we actually confirmed that other races are getting 32mm bases? On GW's site the new Harlequins are on 25mm so it seems to be just Space Marines at the moment. 

And yes you don't have to do this, but if you like the look, but don't want to go rebasing everything and potentially damaging painted models, but also like the beveled edge look then this is the way to do it ;)

I'm not sure I understand why you would need to do this?

I'm not sure I understand why ... it all seems like of effort to avoid a little effort that is entirely unnecessary anyway.

It's not required that you change your bases from what they came with originally, but the new standards base size is 32mm.

Is it? Standard for BA maybe but has any other kit included 32mm bases yet? I know the necron's new boxes still have 25mm bases.

Why is because aesthetically some like them better. And eventually all SM will probably have them so that means you'll eventually have some dudes with 25mm bases and some with 32mm bases. Some of us are too anal to accept such a thing :p

Didn't want the extra height, but that is definitely doable.  I was pretty glad that 32mm became available, as many of my marines spilled a little more out of their 25mm bases as I would have liked, and 32mm for Assault Marines are way more stable.

So marines now suffer less to template weapons? This is a change I do not like.

Also is there an official statment on this? If so what edition does this make us now?

The Designers made the change for the new Death Company because "It made them look more imposing/cooler". IIRC, GW's official stance is you don't have to, but you can re-base your whole army if you want to. It's 7th Ed.

Cheers,

Jono

I understand why some would like to move to a 32mm base for their army. Why the ring? After the drilling, gluing, filling and painting to blend the ring in with the existing 25mm portion, wouldn't it would be just as easy to rebase on a 32mm disk?

Because if the mini is already painted and based then ripping the mini off of the base could result in damage to the legs of the mini or another part as you try to force it off. I flock my 40K bases myself(no resin or other custom types) but I'm hesitant to try and break them free. This however allows me to blend the base into the existing one.  

Ok I can understand that. I have spent too much time with metal models. Looking at the model in the OP, it looks like it would be easy to slide a utility knife between the base and the cork and safely remove it all in one piece.

But you are right. A plastic model cemented to a plastic base will not always pop loose so easy.

If you are able to get thin plastic glue into the joints, plastic glue is very easy to dissolve and remove but the point of this post was not that I could or could not/should or should not remove the model from the base, but rather adapt the base to the newer sizes as I do like the new sizes and there will be those who would be interested to know that it can be done.

If you are able to get thin plastic glue into the joints, plastic glue is very easy to dissolve and remove but the point of this post was not that I could or could not/should or should not remove the model from the base, but rather adapt the base to the newer sizes as I do like the new sizes and there will be those who would be interested to know that it can be done.

Wait, you can use thin plastic glue to loosen them from their bases? This is big news for me. It had never occurred to me to try it, as I would think you'd have to catch it at just the right time or risk making the bond even stronger... I'll be rebasing my army so I have to try this out! Thanks! 

Also, I need to know how you made that incredible sniper rifle. Your conversions always astound and amaze me. 

Thin plastic glue is able to seep into joints via capillary action, and as such, can quite easily soften plastic joints, just as well as it can bond them.  I use this technique quite a lot when tacking plastic bits together... just becareful not to get it all over the place.  :)

You can look for my thread in WIP.  I do a rundown on the sniper rifle.

Archived