The Wilds - Tales from

paulJam

Have finally completed the second rewrite, targetting specifically typos and word-salad.

should be mainly in english now.

I found that it interprets formatting a bit funny, but nothing with the double spacing, must be an fruit thing.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read up to the diverse neigborhoods chapter. I'm liking Esrah quite a bit. He seems like the commander most troops wish they had, but still has a few personal quarks to make him stand out from that type cast. The space battles too, I know I commented on the first one, but I really enjoy reading yours. 40k space battles have a unique feel that separates them from other scifi settings, and yours fit well in the setting. I'm curious what route you will take with the green skins. Will they be the comedic goons, the brutish monsters, or will they remain the alien menace that the Astartes don't bother with trying to understand. I guess I'll have to read more and find out.

• 4 months later...

I brushed up on the first book today, well that was my intent, I ended up rereading the second half, outstanding work. I'm glad to see this back.

thanks mate.

this one took a lot longer, but i've been tapping away at it since the last one. And enjoying it, but i just don't seem to get big blobs of it done like with book 1.

kind of the reason i'm putting it up now (before it's 'finished'); to get some motivation to keep reading, editing, make sure it's presentable and some days soon to finish it off.

my main hope is that it's different enough from the rest of my work, don't want to get stuck in a creative formula rut.

thanks for the interest and any advice or suggestions more than welcome.

I'm really liking how this book is playing out. I can see it building up to something with each post. Also, the scout story left me grinning when I found out who he was.

thanks carrack, glad you're liking it.

imagining the scenes as i write and edit is thoroughly enjoyable but it's sometimes hard to know if it makes sense on paper... errr dataslate.

there's definitely a purpose to the story arc, and only a couple of chapters to go (reread/editing underway).

the ending should hopefully work (and i like it) but i don't want to hype it too much in case it's a fizzer.

there was a mention of the Esrah/Huvau history earlier in the book but i didn't want to retcon or flashback the story at this stage. could probably add it into another story later when they actually come to blows (spoiler, and yes there is that much of a plan already).

just wanted to jot the idea down for a bit of fun. man i like writing... or imagining anyway!

[ ed: actually the bit i really like about that was the dreadnought!! they're usually so uptight!! :) ]

have been enjoying the shield. as you mentioned in your commentary lots of diverse setting, but if Calebra Hive is anything to go by i'm sure you'll weave them into a logical whole.

looking forward to the next installations.

Archived