Excellent! my only suggestion would be to add blood for the blood god or an equivalent to the dying marine, as the current splatter seems a little matte.

DimDim

Yes! Very nice :tu:

The chains on the axe haft are perfect. They really help to convey the whole 'gladiator' thing that the XII have. The freehand turned out nicely too. The Knight helm trophies are my favourite details overall :)

That Knight just won the internet today, or yesterday. Anyway. Fantastic pose, very menacing. I love the way you integrated that axe into the Knight. Is that the bit you bought last year and of which you sent me the cover? I really enjoy the base, although I don't really get why the termie is XII too. Won't the Knight get in trouble for that? Excellent usage of etched brass. But the top spot goes to the dep, deep red for me. Whow.

Oh wow, thanks for all the lovely replies, everyone! I put a lot of effort into Nothus Rex so its really cool to see that folks really dig him.

@ Xavier - Thanks!

@ The Psycho - Glad to hear it. It was an idea I'd been kicking around for months since I first drunkenly preordered it late one knight. Besides... swords are for girls :D

@ Midnight - I try my best.

@ Barabbas - Beautiful isn't the first adjective to come to mind, but I'll certainly take it.

@ Slipstreams - The little Ultra under his foot is pretty bloody right?

@ Dimdim - Ah, there's probably half a can of dullcote on there. I can certainly manage that.

@ Kizzdougs - Excellent, that's exactly what I was going for. Heh, those knights on his trophy chains used swords :D

@ Augustus - That is indeed the axe that has just been sitting around since then! Ah, the little guy is an Ultramarine. World Eaters Cataphractii have blue shoulder pads on top :D

@ Dantay - Thanks! I'm glad to hear it.

He is indeed an Ultra. It's always irritated me that the Ultramarines got lucky number 13, so I like to spite them whenever I can.

@ Hydra - Hah, awesome!

@ Salvation - That's pretty steep praise. Hmm... that's five owned, three assembled ^_^

@ JackDaw - Haha, that's exactly what my gym girlfriends tell me :P

Would it irritate you more or less to know that black to red blend is stupid easy? Seriously :D 

^ Whoops, sorry Psycho. Just saw this ^_^

Essentially it's the simplest wet blending to ever exist. You can see it best on the shinguards.

So very first thing, you have to be kinda quick bc you want to work with your colors while they're still wet. I also did this first before any of the trim so I could afford to be messy. But I just started with a band of 25/75 Khorne red/Abby Black at the top (maybe the top 1/3 of the shin plate) followed by pure black at the bottom. Then I cleaned my brush off so it was damp (not dripping wet!) and kinda swizzled the colors together where they met. Then very lightly, I feathered the still damp mix color down into the black with very very light, broad strokes. Then I waited for it to dry and gave the entire panel a slim border highlight with Khorne red, which does a pretty good job of 1.) bringing the colors together and 2.) tricking the eye into seeing super dark red instead of black.

It takes a little bit of playing around with test pieces to get the wet blend technique down, but not a lot at all. It took me maybe 30 minutes from when I started doodling around to get the light touch needed to "feather" the mix color correctly.

Hope that explains it adequately, but feel free to PM me if anyone had any questions ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Descent of Angels: Part III -

+++++++++

The Greenskin filth pressed in, rusty cleavers and crude chain-blades cutting at the indomitable armor of the massive warriors in their midst. Crude firearms blasted at point-blank range and long-handled stick grenades detonated with impunity, killing scores of Orks with each resounding blast. Despite the maelstrom of death in which they fought, the Terminator war-plate of the legionnaires remained inviolate.

They were unstoppable titans of war. The product of genetic and technological genius that bordered on mystical, the legion warriors strode through the Ork war host with impunity. Thunder hammers, power fists, and chain axes rose and fell with deadly repetition. 

There was no art to this battle.

No skill.

Only the raw ferocity of two races locked eye to eye, tooth to tooth, in a struggle for supremacy. 

Gabriel Morvund was a Legionnaire who could appreciate the simplicity in that. A Centurion-Siegebreaker attached to the 18th Company, Gabriel was veteran with 137 years of service to the Imperium and the Great Crusade. Fair-haired and stern in demeanor, he physically embodied the angelic image of his legion and Primarch. His conduct in war however, was anything but. 

He was a weapon for use against those without reason; the insane, the traitorous, the alien. He was weapon of final sanction and utter devastation. For the Orks and their leader, Gabriel Morvund was the end.

The assault cannons of Vaughn’s VII Legion Terminator cadre suddenly cut loose with a roar. Dozens of Greenskins died within seconds, a fine mist of blood and atomized viscera billowed out from the kinetic violence of the gunfire. A fifty-meter swathe of dead Orks lay before the knot of Legion Terminators. The voice of Aldankhar, Forgelord of the XII Legion, crackled through Gabriel’s vox link.

“Your path is clear cousins! Strike true!”

“My thanks Forgelord. We won’t be long.”

Gabriel and Assault Cadre Primus charged through the gap in the Ork host. Reeling from the sudden attack, the Greenskins were slow to react and unable to prevent the Blood Angel Terminators from striking deep within their lines.

A deep, sonorous bellow echoed from ahead as a massive brute in piston driven armor stomped through the ranks of smaller Ork warriors towards the oncoming Legionnaires. Around him a mob of slightly smaller, but still heavily armored, Greenskins roared and brandished an array of wicked power claws and energized saws. 

“Vitus, the bodyguards are yours. Leave the big bastard for me.”

“Compliance sir.”

Sergeant Vitus slung his twin-linked bolter and hefted his thunder hammer in a two handed grip as Gabriel brought the bulk of his grenade launcher to bear. Pulling the trigger, the Centurion sent a trio of shells thudding into the cluster of Orks around the Warboss. With a ravenous woosh, the grenades detonated, bathing the aliens with a crawling phosphex inferno.

The proscribed and utterly horrific substance burned through armor and skin with voracious hunger. Despite how inured to pain the mature Ork veterans were, they still roared in agony and tried desperately to extinguish the toxic flames coating their bodies. Vitus and his men stepped up and put them down with precise axe and hammer blows.

Only the Warboss seemed unfazed by the conflagration. The monster strode through it as though it were no more than a warm summer rain, despite his skin and armor sloughing off like rotten wood. Gabriel slung his grenade launcher and brought up his massive two-handed sword. Two meters long, the lethal blade shimmered with azure light. Roaring in response, the Ork War-leader brandished a gargantuan power claw. Gabriel grinned, displaying a pair of ivory fangs.

“I was hoping you’d say that.”

+++++++++

- VAE VICTUS -

Archived