879.M30 – 501st Expeditionary Fleet – Compliance: 501-16

+++++++++

The ship that tore through the warp rift was blunt and brutal. Its armored flanks were studded with launch bays, macro cannons, and laser batteries.  It was a harbinger of conquest built to wage endless war. The reinforced prow of the vessel jutted forward like the chin of a pugnacious prizefighter, as if daring someone to attack it. A giant bronze-hued icon stood in front of the vessel’s command bridge. It depicted a giant saw-toothed maw devouring a planet. It was a symbol as violent and direct as the legion that bore it. Beneath the brazen jaws hung a massive roman numeral ‘XII’. The legion needed no other signifiers, the enemies of mankind knew who they were, and if they did not, they would. The warship’s engines burned hot, propelling it away from the swiftly closing wound in real-space and towards the waiting ships of 501st Expeditionary Fleet. The World Eaters had arrived.

+++++++++

Enemy fire sparked and ricocheted of the Vindicator’s armor plating. Sergeant Terantes kept his head low, using the protection the massive siege tank provided. The rest of 2nd squad was stacked in a column of red war-plate behind him, steadily advancing into the hurricane of enemy fire. The vox bead in Terantes’ ear crackled as the voice of the Vindicator’s gunner came over the squad frequency.

“Firing.”

2nd squad braced as one. A millisecond later the tank’s main gun roared with destructive fury and the enemy strongpoint down the street disappeared. The dust kicked up by the explosion hadn’t even started to settle before Terantes was yelling orders to his battle brothers.

“Second squad on me! Clear the area, no mercy!”

The Astartes moved with grim efficiency. No war cries, no exuberant howls like Russ’ Wolves, just determination to see the mission completed. Planet 16-501 had been a hard fight. It was one of humanity’s former colony worlds, lost in the dark age of Old Night. Technologically advanced and violently resistant to the idea of compliance, it had proved tough enough that two separate legion forces had been brought in to subdue it. 

Terantes stormed through the shattered masonry into what once must’ve been some kind of housing complex. Bloody scraps of the enemy were spattered around the area from the Vindicator’s shot. He moved quickly, the disruption field of his power fist humming as they searched room by room. The vox chirped as one of his men reported in.

“Bio-signatures incoming Sergeant.”

With a shout dozens of enemy infantry flooded into the building, no doubt hoping to ambush the giant legion warriors. Terantes cracked a brief smile. The enemy soldiers wore augmetic exo-suits that amplified their strength and agility. Against the Imperial Solar Auxilia they would’ve been a fearsome foe. Against the Legiones Astartes, they were simply an interesting challenge. 

“Blades out! We do this the hard way!”

2nd squad slung their bolters and unsheathed wicked combat blades the length of a man’s forearm. With a roar they met the oncoming enemy head on. Super-human muscle met augmented flesh with a crash. Terantes swung his power fist in sweeping arcs, each hit releasing a pulse of disruptive energy that blasted enemy soldiers into smoking chunks of meat and charred bone. With the combat blade clenched in his right hand he sought exposed weak points, severing tendons and slitting throats with brutal grace. 2nd squad was mauling the enemy, but more kept storming in, trying to overwhelm them by sheer weight of numbers. One of his squad suddenly smashed through a wall to his right, hurled like a toy by some massive force. Terantes spun to face the newest threat and beheld a massive construct of armor plates and hissing hydraulics. Standing before him was some kind of war-walker, parts of it echoing the legion’s Contemptor Dreadnoughts.  He grinned.

“Finally, a challenge.”

Terantes broke into a sprint, meeting the enemy war machine with a thundering haymaker that knocked it back a step and shattered it’s frontal plating. Recovering faster than a machine it’s size had a right to, it swung a vicious siege claw in a blistering arc at chest-level. He ducked swiftly and launched another punch directly into its knee joint. The disruptor pulse blasted the enormous limb in two, sending the walker crashing onto its side. Terantes didn’t give the pilot a chance to respond, leaping deftly atop the machine’s fallen chassis he wedged his combat blade into one of the fractures in its armor plating. Using the fingers of his power fist in concert with his knife, he began to peel back the metal like a ration tin. The pilot panicked and began thrashing the limbs of his war engine in an attempt to dislodge the ferocious warrior burrowing into its chest. Terantes grunted in frustration and dodged several sweeps of the siege claw.

“Enough!”

He cannoned his powerfist into the cockpit area once more, blasting molten shrapnel into himself and stunning the enemy pilot. Quickly he pried back the last layer of armor and exposed the war machine’s cockpit. Sheathing his blade, he reached down and ripped the man out of his harness. Terantes pulled the half-conscious soldier close, as he did so the man suddenly lashed out with a concealed knife. His bio-engineered reflexes kicked in and he turned his head from the strike, but not before the blade raked a bloody gash across his cheek and nose. The pilot flailed at him, his eyes wild with fury and desperation. Terantes laughed.

“Well fought.”

With a twist he snapped the man’s neck.

Around him, the battle continued to rage as the enemy piled in. The ferocity of IX legion was well known and had earned the Blood Angels a fearsome reputation amongst the myriad forces of the Imperium. There were few other legions that could match their prowess in close combat, but the World Eaters were one. A deafening cacophony of rage-fuelled war cries echoed through the housing block. A visible ripple of doubt passed through the enemy forces at the sound. Before they could react a mob of white and blue armored giants smashed into the rear of the enemy force. Like sharks amongst prey fish they slaughtered with wild abandon, reaping a horrific tally amongst the enemy foot soldiers. Caught between the two legion forces, the will of the enemy shattered and the battle turned into a full-scale rout. The retribution of the Legiones Astartes was swift and brutal. 

Terantes took in the scene of devastation as his squad secured the building. A World Eaters Sergeant in white armor spattered with blood and viscera approached down the corpse-choked hallway. Several bleached skulls, both human and alien, hung from an adamantium chain slung across his chest. Reaching up, the warrior disengaged his neck seals and pulled of his war-helm, exposing a face ragged with blade and burn scars.

“Well met Blood Angel.”

“And you World Eater. Gideon Terantes, 2nd Squad, 18th Company.”

He approached and clasped gauntlets with the Sergeant. 

“Fen Dahrr. Did you bring that one down?”

Dahrr gestured at the fallen war-walker, the dead pilot draped across it's hull where Terantes had cast him down. 

“Aye, gave me this for the trouble.”

Terantes gestured to the scabbed cut that bisected his left cheek and nose. Dahrr nodded in appreciation. 

“Worthy of remembrance that one.”

“How so?”

Dahrr didn’t answer, instead striding over to the fallen machine. He took a knee and grasped the pilot by a handful of hair. Pulling out a serrated combat blade he swiftly began sawing through the man’s neck. Terantes was no stranger to the blood and gore of war in the 31st millennium, but he raised an eyebrow at the World Eater’s behavior. Dahrr finished his grisly work and stood up, the dead pilots head clutched in his fist. He walked back to where Terantes stood and offered him the macabre trophy. 

“Carry him with you, honor his valour, let him bear witness to your deeds. In return he will remind you not to underestimate the foe, no matter his form.”

Though not one for ritual, Terantes understood the importance of martial respect, and more importantly, he understood what the gesture meant. Fen Dahrr was offering a hand in friendship. He accepted the blood-spattered head with a brief nod and strapped it to his waist. Dahrr grunted in approval.

“Until next time Blood Angel.”

“Until next time World Eater.”

+++++++++

2nd Squad, 18th Company, IX Legion Astartes

Commanded by Sergeant Gideon Terantes - 879.M30

+++++++++

- VAE VICTUS -

Awesome writing Heirich! It really brings your minis to life (I wish I could do the same for my minis). I really loved the interaction between your Blood Angels and the World Eaters. 

Also, get some paint on them! They're too beautiful to sit around unpainted :tu:

Awesome writing Heirich! It really brings your minis to life (I wish I could do the same for my minis). I really loved the interaction between your Blood Angels and the World Eaters.

Also, get some paint on them! They're too beautiful to sit around unpainted thumbsup.gif

Thanks man, got my paint in yesterday so I'll try and get working on a test model.

“This is no question of right or wrong... there is no shade of moral quandary to consider. His right to rule this galaxy is absolute, and that may not be whilst your kind continue to inflict yourselves upon it. Our Crusade upon the worlds of the Eldarin is no mere act of vindictive anger…

…it is a righteous genocide.”

~Knight-Arkus Mallenborne  

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/GUchik.jpg

"Knights. Never soldiers."

~Knight-Carnifex Eskabae

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/903/G7EEyn.jpg

+Nos terror non tenebris. Sumus eius vindicta+

Wow the Blood Angels and the Fists are shaping up nicely.

Thanks for the tutorial on the yellows Flint. I do my yellows a very similar way, but I was wondering if going from grey or brown  to white, then with a yellow glaze might work just as well

"We break walls. I almost pity the sorry bastards standing upon them."

~Drogun Hanoshi, 59th Company, VII Legion

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/llzLeH.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/SCCxnl.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/912/tmkT32.jpg

-Mortem ante Obsquium-

Evening everyone. Here's the color scheme I'm going with for the troop elements of the LIX (read: the actual 59th), pilfered from the pages of Extermination. The 59th is a frag and clear, storm company; not just first through the breach, but the ones to blow a giant-ass breach in the first place biggrin.png

As such, they have a very high rate of attrition and have to field repair as they go, thus a slightly less uniform appearance should be evident. That also means they tend to weed out those who aren't hard as nails pretty damn quickly.

So the veteran assault legionary scheme seemed particularly apropos for them. It's certainly still a WiP. I'm sure I'll be fiddling with it for quite some time yet, so feel free to weigh in with thoughts!

But anywho, can't thank you all enough for the awesome responses Heinrich and I have gotten lately. We totes appreciate it biggrin.png

Replies!

@ Recon - Thanks. I feel like I'm actually able to reproduce a decent white now.

@ Kizzdougs - Haha, I would trade my black painting skillz for the awesome way you paint whites tongue.png

@ Krieg - Thanks! I like blues biggrin.png

@ Angrypantz - Appreciate it.

@ Midnight - Glad to hear it. The more I see how they look together with more white and red than traditional Templar, the more I'm glad I went that direction.

@ Dantay - Sure thing! Let me know if you have any questions happy.png

The spontaneous splash of yellow is an interesting choice.  I'd consider painting those studs on the arm black or gunmetal to break it up just a bit.  Did you mean to paint the bolter grip yellow along with the fist?

The spontaneous splash of yellow is an interesting choice.  I'd consider painting those studs on the arm black or gunmetal to break it up just a bit.  Did you mean to paint the bolter grip yellow along with the fist?

Agreed. I'd also add the trimming of the Vambrace to the list! Such awesome detail, lost in the sea of yellow :(

The spontaneous splash of yellow is an interesting choice. I'd consider painting those studs on the arm black or gunmetal to break it up just a bit. Did you mean to paint the bolter grip yellow along with the fist?

Agreed. I'd also add the trimming of the Vambrace to the list! Such awesome detail, lost in the sea of yellow sad.png

I dunno about the trim. I think the studs would be enough, really. If there's still more need for contrast after that, I'd actually think of painting the elbow armor black, rather than busying up the gauntlet more.

Firepower's black studs would look nice, or at the very least "dirty" the yellow so that it's not so bright and stark in comparison to the rest of the figure. Like how the white was done. It's otherwise a pretty cool looking dude.

The spontaneous splash of yellow is an interesting choice. I'd consider painting those studs on the arm black or gunmetal to break it up just a bit. Did you mean to paint the bolter grip yellow along with the fist?

Agreed. I'd also add the trimming of the Vambrace to the list! Such awesome detail, lost in the sea of yellow sad.png

I dunno about the trim. I think the studs would be enough, really. If there's still more need for contrast after that, I'd actually think of painting the elbow armor black, rather than busying up the gauntlet more.

Trim is mostly personal preference of mine. Other than that, I'm in agreement with cha'.

Rabid Godling

Prelude

Under the Walls of Terra

Voxcom Sig 2b87x – “We have 92% collapse in the tunnel complexes approaching the Hamurai Gate. The Eaters are swarming through anything left open. Let me… just… there! We have a vox-lock. Friendly Astartes in the location of Hamurai complex Alpha Tertius, respond with force disposition!

Voxcom Sig L7c2s4 – “This is Grimhildr of Rann's Second, fourth squad. We stand, five souls.”

Voxcom Sig 2b87x – “Squad Leader Grimhildr, we have almost total collapse in the corridors of the tun…”

Voxcom Sig L7C2s4 – “This is known to me.”

Voxcom Sig 2b87x – “Right… Squad Leader, you have twelfth legion inbound to your location from four separate junctions. Our logicians estimate they’ll be on top of your position in less than ninety seconds.”

Voxcom Sig L7C2s4 – “Your estimates are wildly optimistic.”

Voxcom Sig 2b87x – “Squad leader, can you confirm operational Seventh legion support? Our intel puts two hundred friendly Astartes at the Gate complex…

…Squad leader?

…Squad leader, confirm other active legion personnel.”

Voxcom Sig L7C2s4 – “This is Grimhildr of the Second Company, fourth squad. We stand… five souls. We will bleed them.”

Voxcom Sig 2b87x – “Squad leader, the Fists have no other combat strength assets in range… there is only one within any practical distance and they are logged as half strength, six souls of Sigismund's First company… I am tagging your cor-lock data through to them now... Emperor willing, it will be enough. Stand strong Grimhildr of the Seventh, the Emperor protects. ”

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/XaafNm.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/537/YlnHrn.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/911/X1lB5L.jpg

+Nos terror non tenebris. Sumus eius vindicta+

Archived