Quick Question

Daemon2027

I feel the answer to this is no but....

Can Night Lord legion command squad chosen take chainglaves.

I'm not sure if the chosen count as character of independent character in terms of Wargear, and I think the chainglave can only be taken by those with character and independent characters rules, which im not sure the Chosen Warrior rule gives.

They would look cool in terms bodyguard though, like halberds! Of course I could just count them as heavy chainswords.

Legion Command Squads have the Chosen Warriors SR, which makes them Characters, and whether in Artificer or Terminator Armour are eligible to take Power Weapons, so, yes, they would be able to take Nostraman Chainglaives.

See later for self correction.

Lol I brought this up a looooong time ago :P

It was argued since they only count as characters for the purpose of challenges that they weren't "real characters".

Idk if the wording has changed between the red books and the first book, but I have the first book and it said they are characters:

"All models in the Legion Command squad are characters and may accept and issue challenges."

(p. 193, Betrayal)

I think the wording might have been changed in the crusade legions list but I think you should be able to take them. A squad of 5 of them with chainglaives on jetbikes is redonkadonk.

If you can take a power weapon/sword you can make it a chainglaive

Legion Command Squads have the Chosen Warriors SR, which makes them Characters, and whether in Artificer or Terminator Armour are eligible to take Power Weapons, so, yes, they would be able to take Nostraman Chainglaives.

Lol I brought this up a looooong time ago :P

It was argued since they only count as characters for the purpose of challenges that they weren't "real characters".

Idk if the wording has changed between the red books and the first book, but I have the first book and it said they are characters:

"All models in the Legion Command squad are characters and may accept and issue challenges."

(p. 193, Betrayal)

I think the wording might have been changed in the crusade legions list but I think you should be able to take them. A squad of 5 of them with chainglaives on jetbikes is redonkadonk.

But the exact rule states:

'Any character or inderpendant character with the Legion Astartes (Night Lords) special rule eligible to take a power weapon as part of thier options, may instead take a Chainglaive for the same listed cost' - p57 of the LAICL book

So that goes for sergeants and Praetors and Centurions. Chosen have the Chosen Warrior rule which is :

'A model with this special rule may issue and accept Challanges as if they had the character type. Note that this does not allow a model with this special rule to use any other rules associated with the Character type' - p.80 of the LACAL

So does that mean the are not characters, so can't get the Chainglaive?

Yes, they can take chainglaives. Anybody who says otherwise is being pedantic about the rules, no offence intended, as it's a very safe bet that this is how it was intended

When the plan is to cut up expensive models to make something, sometimes being a bit pedantic to make sure what you build can be used in games is a needed.

Yes, they can take chainglaives. Anybody who says otherwise is being pedantic about the rules, no offence intended, as it's a very safe bet that this is how it was intended

I'm afraid that this is both not a safe bet and rather rude.

I'm a pretty RAI guy generally but this seems rather clear. They do NOT have any other special rules associated characters. The intent, it would seem, is to allow members of the command squad to make and accept challenges. Nothing more.

Unfortunately I would say that no, they may not take Chainglaives, or any other legion special weapon.

I'm a pretty RAI guy generally but this seems rather clear. They do NOT have any other special rules associated characters. The intent, it would seem, is to allow members of the command squad to make and accept challenges. Nothing more.

Unfortunately I would say that no, they may not take Chainglaives, or any other legion special weapon.

That's what I'm starting to come down on. I think I'll model them with chainglaves but count them as heavy chainswords.

Yeah, I've gotta rescind what I said earlier - I was basing it off the HH1 rule, not the revised CAL rule. Based on the later CAL rule, Legion Command Squads do not count as Characters for the purposes of taking Nostraman Chainglaives. They only count as Characters with regards to issuing/accepting Challenges.

(Note to self: stop using Betrayal for rules questions, even if it means leaving your desk to get the CAL off the bookshelf in the other room, you lazy -*BEEP*-!)

I mean if your gaming group is cool with it, do it. If not then the safest bet is just not to take it.

However, I thought I remember that the banner bearer was an actual character and had that included in his profile as one of the errata, but I could be completely wrong.

I mean if your gaming group is cool with it, do it. If not then the safest bet is just not to take it.

However, I thought I remember that the banner bearer was an actual character and had that included in his profile as one of the errata, but I could be completely wrong.

It's not in the redbook (or black in my case). I'm going with power weapons. Saying that entry for chosen is crappy.

It says, may swap thier bolt pistol OR chainsword for, then there is a list. To me that means they can only take one, which limits them to just one lightening claw ect. But I've seen others argue that it means they could still swap the other other.

It's not in the redbook (or black in my case). I'm going with power weapons. Saying that entry for chosen is crappy.

It says, may swap thier bolt pistol OR chainsword for, then there is a list. To me that means they can only take one, which limits them to just one lightening claw ect. But I've seen others argue that it means they could still swap the other other.

It's just funny though how raptors can get chainglaives for a dime a dozen but not some of the legion's best warriors, who might have been sergeants or raptors at some point. But c'est la vie *shrug*

I was just at the HH Weekender and a guy was using a Command Squad there with Chainglaives in front of the guys who wrote the rules (the Saturday, for anybody else who was there), for real. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet although I agree Betrayal makes it seem much more clear than the newer 'Red Book'. As for being rude, lol

Simple put: ring or email FW. This is 30k not 40k and FW not mainstream GW and I'd be happy to play against it based on this interpretation. The distinction made (in comparison to something like a Solarite gauntlet) in coordination with the existing rules before the red book seemed to work pretty clearly together at the time, which makes it perfectly valid to me.

Regardless of rules nannies I'd honestly just model the squad with the weapons and then count them as another type of power weapon. Rule of cool triumphs in 30k.

I'll drop them an email on Monday.

Doubled back and modelled them with chainglaves, only 2 guys at the mo anyway, standard bearer has an axe. Like I said I see bodyguards with pole weapons, or badass's like Sevatar, don't want to fill my army with them.

Archived