Richmarine's Sons of Horus

richmarine

Very nice work. Cool freehand on the cloak, too. thumbsup.gif

I like that a lot as well. As another fellow Midlander (although from further afield), I can honestly say that this army is Bostin msn-wink.gif

I love your Sons.... makes me nervous for painting up my own for ETL though. I am rather glad that I hadn't done more than a test model before FW released their paint, since my mix was rather complicated and I was worried about recreating it.

You've definitely given me some inspiration for them though!

I love your Sons.... makes me nervous for painting up my own for ETL though. I am rather glad that I hadn't done more than a test model before FW released their paint, since my mix was rather complicated and I was worried about recreating it.

You've definitely given me some inspiration for them though!

I did a lot of research into colours. everything from green wash on grey, green wash on bolt gun metal. The favourite for most seems to be Vallejo USMC tank crew green. But I found it too light.

I think it comes down to personal taste. There's always a get out clause in the description of soh which seems to be the more fallen they are the darker the green. I tried to reflect this with the reavers and the tactical squad.

I also found on the drop pod assault game they've given the soh White accents to link them in with the Luna wolves. If ever I do another tactical squad I think I'd like to give them white shoulder pads.

I would go with whatever shade suits you. In the end they'll look awesome to you, which is what matters.

• 1 month later...

Been neglecting to update my army progress. i am getting very close to getting finished everything i wanted to do for this army.

Below are the last few that was completed for the ETL. I've also gone back and turned half of my reavers to jump infantry. the idea is to have two reaver squads; One kitted for close combat with jump packs and the other for close fire support. I've also started to re-base these on 32mm bases. 

19762591568_bd218d9586_c.jpgFinished reavers sons of Horus. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

19955783091_c17a098010_c.jpgFinished reavers sons of Horus. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

19955785571_f5266b12f0_c.jpgFinished reavers sons of Horus. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

19762599208_1945d7d045_c.jpgFinished reavers sons of Horus. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

18875000296_6cc10085d4_c.jpgUntitled by Richard Jones, on Flickr

18986955761_969307d45f_c.jpgJustaerin terminators finished by Richard Jones, on Flickr

18363292023_593f01dc09_c.jpgJustaerin terminators finished by Richard Jones, on Flickr

19021117639_c7bdb34b3a_c.jpgSoh by Richard Jones, on Flickr

19102468046_6e703a370b_c.jpgReaver captain. Sons of Horus by Richard Jones, on Flickr

• 6 months later...

Ran across your pics while doing a google search for SOH - what an outstanding looking army!  Really great work - everything flows so well.  I especially like the shots on the scenery tables.  It adds some great atmosphere to the characters.

Thanks very much Geostryke. Going to be adding to this page soon. Got a sicarian that's nearly done and another 5 reavers. Got a command squad too that's a recent purchase. Unfortunately I've moved on to ultras. But I'll keep adding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ermm. Bit hard to describe. Got a lot of inspiration from Sauron from lord of the rings.

Just painted the whole thing red. Wash with black. And then move from red to orange to yellow. Essentially just little flames.

For eye lenses I do the old horizon thing. Similar to the colours for the eye or horus. Just concentrate on the bottom area. The brightest part being the top of the horizon. A spot of white is always on the darkest side.

• 1 year later...

Archived