=][= Of Lunatics and Henchmen: Inquisition Challenge #2 =][=

Dosjetka

Asurman Blue is a great wash, I couldn't do my lenses without it smile.png A trick I've picked up for a good black is Charadon Granite and a couple of good coats of Badab Black, quick and simple yet effective. Works best on models with more detail though as you'd expect. It's not being lazy; it's efficiency laugh.png

It's looking like I'll have tomorrow and not much else to complete an entire model for this. Can it bit done? I have no idea but there's only one way to find out! tongue.png

Managed to find something that gave me an idea for a henchman - and perhaps more importantly one that'd give me enough time to complete tongue.png A bit of chopping and a few additions gives me this:

gallery_30308_10604_21299.jpg

I've got a couple of ideas for his backstory too smile.png I will undercoat him tonight and try and see him painted tomorrow thumbsup.gif

Thanks, I'll be honest and say that I'm itching to paint a blue cloak after seeing Miko's which was part of my decision - model and time limitations aside! Sadly no undercoating as I got back from my game quite late but there's time tomorrow for that too :) Well mostly, clocks going forward an hour overnight! :P

If I remember right he's a Dark Elf Assassin I got quite a few years ago. Can't even remember why I got him! Chopping the hood down so it doesn't have the a point like he wants to wear a green tunic and removing the gold pouch helped and of course adding some daggers and such from the Catachan Command Squad helped round him off along with a de-spiked gauntlet from the DE Wyches.

I have a pretty busy day tomorrow but I'm sure I can fit him in around things and complete my vow before the end of the day. I'm thinking of a black leather scheme and maybe trying a slightly darker blue with washing but I'll see what takes my fancy :)

Yeah, all Elves are Dark Elves now, but Dark Elves are evil High Elves rather than Slaaneshi elves. ><

My Wood Elves are not happy, and have basically said 'feth it, I'm going to be a mountain elf from now on'. heh.

Ok folks, I promised a short fluff piece about my Servitor, so here we go:

Salomin stalked through the thrumming corridors of the ancient vessel. He could feel the steady pulse of the engines as they propelled the sleek hull of his ship through the void. As a member of the honourable Clan Aconitas he had millennia of history and responsibility weighing upon his head. Through a web of blood and familial alliance stretching back to the time before the great crusade, his ancestors had held their warrant to explore the scattered stars. While only a shadow of its former reach remained, Aconitas could call upon dozens of ships and hundreds of loyal retainers from all corners of the imperium and beyond.

As he walked through the corridors of his flagship, his augmetic leg clicking on the deck plates, Salomin reflected on his task for today with a heavy heart. Tobias Ret had served the house for almost a hundred years and was simply indispensable, but the recent skirmish with the Xenos Pirates had left him a shattered wreck. The old soldier had trained Salomin in marksmanship since he was merely a whelp, and had served on his personal guard for twenty years.

As he reached the medicae suite Salomin paused, a moment of hope for his old friend's recovery fleetingly passing through his mind, swiftly dashed as he passed through the shuttered doors. Within he saw Karos and Clovis huddled over a hulking metallic mass, the smell of fresh solder wreathing the air.

"We've done what we could, captain." Intoned Clovis wearily, his beard twitching as he spoke. "There just wasn't enough left of him after what those pointy-eared bastards threw at us."

The dour-faced abhuman mechanic stepped back, shouldering Karos aside as he did so. Karos whirred and clicked, his voice unit once again failing to capture his annoyance at the brusque matter-of-factness of his rotund colleague.

"Let me see." Intoned Salomin, stepping towards the machine-bulk that Tobias lay within. He saw what remained of his old tutor wired and welded, stitched and grafted, so that where the man ended and the machine began was no longer easy to tell.

"Could you not have let him die?"

The metallic rasp of Kavos' vocal processors cut in:

"His contract with Clan Aconitas specifies clearly that his service is until the point of his biological extinction, with clearly defined optional clauses to go beyond that point where the resourcing needs of the clan dictate. Life-signs were weak, but clearly detectable." Salomin swung round to confront the medicae-magos, but Clovis interjected.

"He wanted this, captain. Said so himself before the doc rewired his speech centres. Last thing he said was to make sure he could keep fighting."

He left the medicae suite feeling somewhat depressed. Tobias was gone, but Servitor TX3-n5 would fight on. He didn't like it, wishing that his old friend could be left to rest in peace. However, a contract was a contract, and without honouring their agreements the great clan could not have lasted a hundred centuries. Salomin Monkshood held the responsibility to ensure that the clan endured, his personal feelings and petty emotional bonds be damned.

Hope it adds a little flavour to the model.

A good read :tu: I'm work on a small piece for my DCA between painting and other, less interesting tasks today :) I might be a little busy in the evening finishing up Blood and Glory over in the barracks but at that point I hope to just need to upload a picture to complete my vow so it should tie in neatly!

Apologies for the shoddier than normal pictures, but the light has faded and the camera was not happy about it. I've done what I can with some light but the images don't do him justice! I will see if I can replace them with better pictures at some point smile.png

Edit: old pictures

gallery_30308_10604_18997.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_8869.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_27215.jpg

Edit: new pictures:
gallery_30308_10604_18294.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_20155.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_18059.jpg

I am really pleased with him, the model and bits and colours just seem to have come together nicely! Maybe I should panic complete vows in a couple of days more often? laugh.png I also wrote a small piece for him, again it all seemed to work out well as I had the idea and name before I properly started work:

Karnak "Shredder" Asoi

Karnak was born on inauspicious signs, a weak child so frail that the apothecary gave him mere days of life if that. Yet Karnak endured and held on despite the odds. This proved to be an omen as his childhood was one of survival against all that life threw at him. His poor start in life seeped into every aspect of his life; being thin and weaker, seen as a sign of the Emperor's displeasure to his family and more yet - but Karnak endured.

It was when as a young adult wandering the streets in bitterness he found his true purpose. Unable to serve in any way - or rejected - he had few hopes like the other untouchables but it would be his burning hatred for the injustices he suffered that would be his salvation. Spotted by chance by an Inquisition agent as he fought some thugs in a rage over the few coins in his purse he was swiftly recruited and sent to a secretive training facility far away from civilisation.

Tested in all manner of ways he was found to be lithe and fast; his small frame being a blessing for once. His seething hate gave him an advantage where before it only gave more rejection by making him a born killer. So did Karnak not only endure but begin to prosper. Now serving across the sector at the Inquisitor Lord's behest he is a ruthless and terrifyingly efficient killer, slaying countless enemies of the Emperor (and Inquisitor Lord). Whether concealed by his cameloline cloak ready to pounce or striking from a crowd his furious blade work renders all before him dead before they even realised he was there. The scenes of a slaughterhouse left behind earned him the nickname of "Shredder", one he bears with apparent indifference.

"Bleed, for the Emperor. Suffer for the Emperor! DIE FOR THE EMPEROR!" - the Shredder

For those yet to complete there isn't long left! The second challenge ends on the 31st of March at 12pm GMT (that's -1 BST)! If I can get out a model from nowhere in a couple of days (less than a day of actual work) then anyone can!

Thanks Meh, but it's probably more about knowing sneaky techniques than anything else :lol: The Inquisitor is due a repaint (and repair I think) but I've been meaning to make a new one or two to reflect the new codex... Too many projects too little time ;)

I managed to get some quick pictures, but the light is again proving troublesome! Better than before at least, so much for Spring and BST... Unfortunately I won't get another chance to take pictures so this will have to do!

gallery_30308_10604_18294.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_20155.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_18059.jpg

Only one more day remaining, don't forget the deadline is 12:00 GMT tomorrow so there's not a moment to lose!

I'm not sure, that or Arco-flagellants... set the equipment up ready they still have almost half a day :lol:

One of these days I should get a proper camera, but given I have little interest in photography beyond snapping models it'd be a waste of money and time! Perhaps if that big lottery win ever comes in tongue.png

Archived