Anti Air or Immolator Spam?

So as it stands I have a reasonably large sisters of battle force, I do however tend to favour armour over troops however as many do.

In this however I do have a few units like Heavy Bolter Retributors which I love to field in thinks like bunkers to keep them safe, as this eats up both my fortifications and a Heavy slot I find myself having to choose between them and anti air.

I my sisters of battle force however I do tend to run 2 Exorcists, 2 Repressors and 6 Multi Melta Immolators so I am wondering, if this is something I really need to concern myself with?

With so much twin linked and in 7th ed rules of jinking are flyers really worth worrying about these days?

This is my experience, so fwiw i wouldn't think you need to worry about anti air with that many immolators. Its just too easy for a single hit from a multimelta to knock a flyer out of the sky. Indeed this is what happened repeatedly when I played a game against my buddy proxying D-99 Elysians, and his vultures were snapshoting uselessly trying not to explode. But as always, ymmv

See thats largly what I immagine but it just came to mind as i was working on a painting list/ force list for my sisters.

As much as I love the Avenger I like other models more.

Besides 4 heavy bolters with rending do allot of dmmage when rerolling to hit.

Need some weight of fire from somewhere and they can even hurt wraith knights now with the chages to the toughness wounding chart.

Damn toughness 8.

Its just too easy for a single hit from a multimelta to knock a flyer out of the sky. Indeed

It depends on the flyer. Maybe it is just local, but the boys at home tend to be fond of ceramite plating.

I don't really see much of this, but with armor 12 on most flyers its still a big risk. But yes YMMV.

Stormtalons and Stormwolves and Cestus Assault Rams; oh my!

laugh.png

We have an abundance of SW players in my little group and that new assault flyer is big hit. No one does much cavalry, tho. Anyway, even when they go into hover mode it is easier for me to take out a Land Raider.

Don't let me talk you out of using Immolator melta for anti-air, tho. Each one has a 30% chance to hit with snap shots. Often that threat alone is enough to make them jink, and that's all you need to do for that turn. You don't always have to kill them to beat them.

Questions for Duke Danse Macabre: When you refer to the "Talon," do you mean the Stormtalon from 'Codex: Space Marines', or the Dark Talon from 'Codex: Dark Angels'? When you describe it as "just a pesky little thing," do you mean it poses minimal threat to your army (meaning I shouldn't get one for my own Space Marine army, as it's not worth the points)?

Questions for Duke Danse Macabre: When you refer to the "Talon," do you mean the Stormtalon from 'Codex: Space Marines', or the Dark Talon from 'Codex: Dark Angels'? When you describe it as "just a pesky little thing," do you mean it poses minimal threat to your army (meaning I shouldn't get one for my own Space Marine army, as it's not worth the points)?

I was refering to the Storm Talon, not the Dark Talon though I consider the Dark Talon to be a poor flyer.

Storm Talons are not a huge threat, I personally think of them as slightly faster Land Speeders, they are decent gun ships but with paper armour and 2 hull points they are not worrying ebough for us to take a hard counter to them.

They are good gun ships however but Ravens etc are a much larger threat.

I usually run 9 immolators. 6 are troops and 3 dominion. Additionally, I run 3 exorcists. The twin-linked Melta and exorcist missiles typically keeps the flyers in check so I feel I don't need much anti air. Flying monstrous creatures are another story...I usually ignore the assaulting ones until they are on the ground. the shooting ones are a little harder to deal with.

I like my pair of quad icarus VWBs, but in the future, I'm thinking of a SR-load of repentia instead...with the pair of VWB costing 75% as much as the SR, it's a really good deal.  My heavies are 2 exorcists and an avenger, which I find to be decent anti-air in their own right, but not having to use them in that role is...liberating!

Actually, the Firestorm Redoubt with the two quad lascannons might be just what the OP was looking for. The lascannons are anti-air, and the redoubt also has a bunker for the Retributors.

That is a good point...I bought the VWB kit and the FR kit to make quad icarus VWBs, but if you have need of the bunker, it's well worth the extra 50 points (and passing up the opportunity to spread out your AA for both better coverage and better survivability...never wanna put all your eggs in one basket building if you can help it...)

Archived