Anvillus / kharbydis landing

Theredknight

Ok, so to me, when one of these lands they should be placed on the ground off the stand.

When they are on the stand, arent they classed as 'flying'? (clue Is 'flying' stand?)

I couldn't find any rule to contrary but when on the stand they aren't blocking Los and take up less board space due to stand size.

Thoughts guys?

Models should be used on the base they are supplied with. Unless stated otherwise, there is no provision for taking it off the stand IIRC.

The rules also state that when an Anvillus Dreadclaw deploys via Drop Pod Assault (something it MUST do), it counts as a Flyer in Hover mode as per Drop Pod Assault Special rules. I cannot remember if that same provision applies to a Kharybdis, I'm AFB until later.

So when it drops it come in on a stand? That makes a big difference for me, now all my str 6 missiles can point one way!

I thought you had to drop it, like a drop pod. Because they have the name drop pod. But could be a good Los blocker to the enemy if off a stand?

Is it the players choice then basically?

In the description it says that it's 'landed', basically, but to treat it as a flier in hover mode. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on this one. Is the cargo getting out? Then take it off the stand. Is it going to fly away next turn? Then keep on the stand. It's up to you :)

So when it drops it come in on a stand? That makes a big difference for me, now all my str 6 missiles can point one way!

I thought you had to drop it, like a drop pod. Because they have the name drop pod. But could be a good Los blocker to the enemy if off a stand?

Is it the players choice then basically?

"Models and Base Sizes

The rules in this book assume that models are mounted on the base they are supplied with. Sometimes, a player may have models in his collection on unusually modelled bases. Some models aren’t supplied with a base at all. In these cases (which are, in all fairness, relatively few and far between), you should always feel free to mount the model on a base of appropriate size if you wish, using models of a similar type as guidance."

"FLYERS AND MEASURING
Flyers have flying bases that suspend them above the battlefield. However, distances are still measured to and from the Flyer’s hull, with the exception of the vehicle’s weapons and Fire Points, which all work as normal. The base of a Flyer is effectively ignored, except for when:
• The Flyer is in close combat, in which case models may move into contact with the vehicle’s hull, its base or both.
• Models are embarking or disembarking from the Flyer, in which case the base of the Flyer is used as an Access Point."

Should answer your questions regarding flyers and bases. If your meta is a lot more amenable to playing "as fluff seems" then I can't see why not; but for the purposes of what the rules say (this being the rules forum and all), this is what they say.

Archived