Loyalist world eaters/ warhounds

Lanky27

So I recently came into possession of some 30k world eaters and can't decide between loyalist or traitor and so have decided to try to do both. So more specifically I want to model a Macer Varren and base a loyalist army around his company which correct me if I'm wrong is the 12th and an assault company. But I also love the Khârn and Angron models enough that when I paint the loyalists they could just as easily play the role of the traitors if being led by these 2 characters.

So with that being said I currently have Angron, red butchers, rampagers and a rhino. I'm thinking I could easily get away with red butchers and rampagers in a loyalist army as its after Istvaan iii and the loyalists are still suffering under the effects of the butchers nails and the rage at their traitor brethren.

Please feel free to help me flesh out the fluffy bits as I don't know a lot of the lore around the heresy so probably have heaps of holes in my logic and ideas. Will post some models when I get into painting them, Cheers.

Logic seems sound man! At least I don't see any holes, and I'm pretty obsessive. At the outset of the Heresy there isn't necessarily any difference between the outward appearance of loyalist or traitor World Eaters, thanks to the nails. The main difference would mostly be who their wrath is directed at. 

Part of the beauty of the Heresy is that you can get away with a lot creatively. ForgeWorld has helped to set up a very broad framework to Bob Ross your army into. Paint a happy little World Eaters force, right over here however you want, with the happy trees and happy piles of skulls, it's all good :)

Awesome well my first 1000 pts will look something like this-

Jump pack praetor

15 tactical marines

15 assault marines

I have Heard assault marines are overpriced for what they can do but I need them to fit into the theme of the army. I have about 270 points left and was thinking 6 sky hunter jetbikes to fill in the gap and provide anti armor? Or javelins maybe

Jump pack praetor

15 tactical marines

15 assault marines

I have Heard assault marines are overpriced for what they can do but I need them to fit into the theme of the army. I have about 270 points left and was thinking 6 sky hunter jetbikes to fill in the gap and provide anti armor? Or javelins maybe

The assault marines are actually pretty good with the WE rite of war. 4 attacks each with hatred rerolls :) they are a bit overpriced though.

How many points are you playing with total?

Jetbikes are great, but better for anti infantry and tarpit ting units in cc. I always attach melta bombs, but haven't gotten a chance to use them.

Jump pack praetor

15 tactical marines

15 assault marines

Yeah, assault marines are overpriced. But its 30k, having one thematic overpriced unit won't kill you, and it's not too uncommon that your opponent has one too (sigh, Destroyers). If you're on a model budget and want an efficient force then maybe they're not the best choice ever, but at least for the World Eaters they do benefit more significantly from the Legion rules.

Jetbikes are a pretty solid choice. You can load them up with melta-bombs to go tank-hunting if they really have to, and maybe even multi-meltas. Volkites are good and synergize with the heavy bolters for shooting a little better though. Like Depth said, for anti-infantry. Just remember to watch out for the Plasma Cannon option. It's not often recommended, as it's a blast weapon and can't be fired if you use your Jink.

If you're not disavowed to some Heavy Support options, a Sicaran or even a Deredeo are pretty great choices that work well in many lists. The Sicaran is Fast, so fits the theme as an assault tank ;) 

I do run a 3 man squad of jetbikes with melta bombs and a plasma cannon. I've actually come to love the little thing, but it can be hit or miss.

I've not needed to jink as T5, 2+ save! and small unit size has largely kept the unit alive.

I agree with LYD as for a Deredeo or a Sicaran. Plus have you seen the painted world eaters Deredeo? :drool:

Thanks for the ideas

I originally thought of the bikes to go with the assault company theme but I think by that stage the loyalists while mainly from the 12th company, would definitely comprise a ragtag bunch of survivors.

Plus I really like the idea of a sicaran as they look awesome.

Vets are great too! They have really awesome upgrade kits and are pretty deadly with the Berzerker rite of war.

A jet pack command squad would be awesome too ;) they would be a cool coterie for your praetor.

I've decided to build my loyalist world eaters around a 2000pt assault company as it just seems easier to balance than 1000pts. So my question is does anyone know where I can find info on a heresy era assault company structure? Like units etc. Also is there any do's or donts in regards to loyalists apart from the obvious traitors like Angron etc.? I'm thinking I could paint the units up to look like they're in the process of changing the badges/ icons back to the warhounds? Cheers

There are some Legion structure diagrams in the Betrayal book and some awesome fluff for the World Eaters. There aren't really many units to avoid and you could still use Angron and Khârn alongside Varrens company if you just use the force as a Great Crusade rather than heresy :) 

Archived