Pride of the Legion

Uprising

I have been collecting some HH bits over the years, and was considering maybe jumping in.  I have finally decide to go with a scouring era salamander force(This way I can use them for 40k/30k).  One of the main reason I decide salamanders over death guard was the fire drakes miniatures, they are the best models forgeworld ever produce.  I would like to start with a 1000 to 1500 pts pride of legion salamanders with about 20 terminators.  Any ideas on how to make the list effective?  Thanks for reading

I currently have about 3 companies of regular GW plastics, but this is my HH items

1 Praetor(power armor, hammer, shield, mantle)

3 Apoc

6 cap termi(one an primus medica)

30 tact (MK 3 with some 2)

3 preds (no weapons yet, plan on magnetizing)

1 contemptor (multi melta and dccw)

3 dreadnoughts (mag, one BRAY'ARTH ASHMANTLE)

3 Rhino

1 LR unbuilt

Hiya Uprising.

Glad to see you dropping head first into the Heresy business!

If you're set on using Pride of the Legion, the first thing to decide on is whether you want to shoot for a Terminator heavy force, a veteran heavy force, or a mix of the two. Either way, armored conveyance is absolutely necessary. The biggest downside of the Pride rite is every unit being such a points sink. You want to protect that investment, not see it shot off the table before they get close enough to do anything fun. Much like necrons, legion infantry *really* excel at close range fire fights.

If you want to go Terminator heavy (which, since you said you wish to include 20, I'm going to guess that is a yes ^_^ ) land raiders are an investment worth making. A couple of them full of Cataphractii with dread and pred support will be a basic template that is effective and *hella* fun to play.

Pride of the Legion Terminator lists definitely look awesome - echo all of Flint13's thoughts, because otherwise slogging it isn't as fun as you'd be led to believe...

Can't wait to see you paint them!

I highly recommend using Spartans and Land Raiders like Flint said. Since the Salamanders don't have deep strike in 30k a strong transport will be essential for getting those terminators to their enemy.

Spatans are hella expensive (points and real world $-wise) but a crazy awesome investment. Capacity for 12 terminator armored models + 1 extra bro, double twin-linked lascannon batteries, 5 hull points and a flare shield.

Oh that lovely bastard flare shield. 

If you do include a Spartan, understand it will be an insane fire magnet, but it will be able to tank (ha!) most all of it. Starting out at the 1000 pt level, it may be a little more of a points sink than is reasonable, but I've seen a couple awesome lists that revolve around two spartans or a spartan and two lil raiders. Either could be a great goal to shoot towards if you're set on a terminator heavy Sally force. 

Terminators, Spartans, Sicarans and Contemptors will make a very small but very elite army.

My first few XII legion lists actually looked really similar. I can confirm that types of list is hella fun to play ^_^

Terminators, Spartans, Sicarans and Contemptors will make a very small but very elite army.

My first few XII legion lists actually looked really similar. I can confirm that types of list is hella fun to play ^_^

^^^this is exactly how I play too. Very small but elite armies. Just substitute the Sicaran for a Storm Eagle or Fire Raptor in my case

Also, I am wondering which legion has the best legion?  IW have siege tyrants, while IF and Manders have uber terminators with the shields.

Imoerial Fists don't have a Terminator unit, both their units are Power Armour ones. Unless I misunderstood what you meant...

If you want Toughest, most Resilient Terminator Formation in 30k then Salamanders win:

HQ:

Preator: Cataphractii, Storm Shield, Elder Drake Mantle, Paragon Blade

Primus Medicae: Cataphractii, Storm Shied, rest to your taste

Troops:

Firedrake Terminators: 10 Terminators, (8)10 Storm Shields, 10 Thunderhammers and/or 2 Heavy Flamers (8 shields in this case)

Spartan Assault Tank: Armored Ceramite, Flare Shields.

Add Vulkan into the mix if you really want to make your opponent flip the table / use literally his whole army to try to kill this death conveyer.

Very expensive block to field but, its 12+ Bodies of: 2+/3++, FNP 5+, 2W (minimum) in a Spartan.

Close Second are Imperial Fists with the Stone Gauntlet RoW and Storm Shields:

HQ:

<Enter compulsory here, maybe Polux or Sigismund>

Primus Medicae: Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Sol Glove (if you want to)

Elites:

Legion Terminators: 10 Storm Shields, weapons to taste.

Spartan as above

This give you 11 2+/3++, FNP 5+, T5 bodies that can run if needed since they aren't slowed down by Cataphractiis Slow & Purposeful in the event that the Spartan Blows up. 

Conversely, they can buy Teleportation Transponders to Deepstrike.

If you want CC Blender unit, Red Butchers in a Spartan are the best, bar none, solely due to amount of possible attacks.

Tyrants are probably the best shooty while Gorgons give you a Relentless Graviton Gun platform. Phoenix Guard are more of a buff unit and Larneans..I don't really know...

Volkite Termies, what's not to love?

Almost any terminator unit can do that. Their only special gear is the Conversion Beamer and having Venom Spheres(iirc) base. Sure, they're got stubborn base and WS5 but the conversion beamer is the odd option out for an otherwise very close range oriented Terminator Squad. Not to mention its Cataphractii Armor so no overwatch. Granted, you are only paying 3+ points (over a similarly equipped generic) for WS5...

I've seen arguments made that the conversion beamer is mostly for when they're sitting on Objective Points (they're scoring after all) but, its still a weird option...

Almost any terminator unit can do that. Their only special gear is the Conversion Beamer and having Venom Spheres(iirc) base. Sure, they're got stubborn base and WS5 but the conversion beamer is the odd option out for an otherwise very close range oriented Terminator Squad. Not to mention its Cataphractii Armor so no overwatch. Granted, you are only paying 3+ points (over a similarly equipped generic) for WS5...

I've seen arguments made that the conversion beamer is mostly for when they're sitting on Objective Points (they're scoring after all) but, its still a weird option...

I don't see anything wrong with what you're saying though. Yeah they aren't as flashy as other legions Termies, but there isnt anything bad about them. Conversion Beamer is strange. It's AL, what did you expect ;)

I don't see anything wrong with what you're saying though. Yeah they aren't as flashy as other legions Termies, but there isnt anything bad about them. Conversion Beamer is strange. It's AL, what did you expect msn-wink.gif

They're not bad, no, but, they could've been done better and have more of a solid Identity.

Granted, if you did do AL PoTL and stuff your Troops with Lerneans with 2 Beamers per squad and give them all Tank Hunters (Mutable), well, Turn 1, if playing long instead of wide, your opponents tanks will have a hard time.

I'd need to give them more thought (much like Destroyers and Jetbikes) since, unlike the other legion terminators (except maybe the Justaerin) they aren't all that special..

Archived