anyone tried the purge detachment?

So has anyone tried the purge detachment from siege of vrakks? On one hand it is nice as it only requires what 1 hq 2 elites? In return flamers and missle launchers gain a chem firing mode. On the other hand it does force you to make mark/convent/possibly daemon of nurgle.

I'm not familiar with that one. I've tried almost every Chaos Formation, but I will say since I play Maelstrom a ton, anything that makes me drop ObSec better have a real benefit, and I don't know what 'chem firing mode' is but it doesn't sound promising.

Siege of Vraks is older, a bit dated. I haven't looked at it in ages and picked it up for Lord Zhufor and the Berzerker stuff.... I was very disappointed in Zhufor... table top wise I couldn't get him to work. I can't even remember the formation so I'm sorry, I can't realistically comment. :)

Since it's a formation for both the Renegades and Heretics and CSM armies, both places are fine for the discussion I guess? Regardless of the book it appears in. That being said, check out lucios link since there's some nice points and a good summary of details.

I was wondering, can I take the the Purge Detachment with Crimson Slaughter CSM? Or main codex only? It'd be an easy way to get that divination sorc and chosen squad as an addition to my army, without having to use the allied detachment.

Since it's a formation for both the Renegades and Heretics and CSM armies, both places are fine for the discussion I guess? Regardless of the book it appears in. That being said, check out lucios link since there's some nice points and a good summary of details.

I was wondering, can I take the the Purge Detachment with Crimson Slaughter CSM? Or main codex only? It'd be an easy way to get that divination sorc and chosen squad as an addition to my army, without having to use the allied detachment.

I believe you can as technically both crimson slaughter and black legion are still codex chaos space marines

Ok my bad on not knowing it works for CSM, this may alter the decision on buying IA13 vs Siege of Vraks, as I actually built some Nurgle Chem tthrower models to represent Chosrn or Havocs with flamers

The chem rule just adds shred and gets hot, right? So re-roll to wound with a chance of not getting to shoot and maybe even killing your own man. I don't see that being useful for missiles but maybe a squad with flamers.

I wonder if it's really worth the trouble. Anything you'd purposefully target with flamers will likely crumple under normal flamers anyway, and anything that wouldn't won't likely be bothered much by a couple extra wounds.

Admittedly I haven't given it a lot of thought, but wouldn't poisoned templates be both better and more flavorful than shred? It would put a hurt on high T units in a way that makes sense, justifying the risk of gets hot more. Somebody tell me if I'm just crazy or misinformed...

Gets hot doesn't give you a chance of not shooting! The 1 is a miss regardless and preffered enemy etc still let you reroll.

How does gets hot work with flamer weapons anyways? 1 on the to wound roll?

Good point on another rule they forgot to actually read.  I would play it as the same as a blast weapon.  Roll a die to check for a 1 before resolving the shot.

No idea what the detachment contains so if someone would be willing to post a general overview of the formation it will be much appreciated. On a side note, bio-weapons? You got me interested. 

Gets hot doesn't give you a chance of not shooting! The 1 is a miss regardless and preffered enemy etc still let you reroll.

My assumption is that the flamer template is the same as blast, where you roll a d6 before you shoot.

No idea what the detachment contains so if someone would be willing to post a general overview of the formation it will be much appreciated. On a side note, bio-weapons? You got me interested.

It's from the 2nd ed siege of vrakks its

The Purge Battleforged Detachment:

Compulsory: 1 HQ, 2 Elites

Optional: 1 HQ, 8 Troops, 4 Elites, 4 Heavy Support, 1 Fortification, 1 Lord of War

Restrictions:

Only usable by Chaos Renegades OR Chaos Space Marines

May only take Marks or Devotions of Nurgle

COMMAND BENEFITS:

SALT THE EARTH: When a model from this detachment fires a barrage weapon with the blast type, leave the template after resolving all damage until the controlling player's next turn. The area under the template is considered Dangerous Terrain.

Forbidden Munitions: Flamers/Heavy Flamers may be upgraded to use chem flamers for free, and missiles launchers may take chemical rockets for free.

Chem Flamer: Template, S4, AP5, Assault 1, Shred, Get's Hot

Chem Rocket: 48", S4, AP5, Heavy 1, Blast, Shred, Get's Hot

The Purge have always been one of my favourite Warbands and these new rules really made me question my allegiance to the Youngest God. Especially because I've been trying to find a cool colour scheme for my homebrew warband for the better part of a year..must have painted all my old 2nd edition CSM in widely varying purple, pink, gold etc. schemes and was just never really convinced. Being a psychotic degenerate is hard I guess...

So I'm guessing I will abandon the Prince of Pleasures for the loving embrace of Grandfather Nurgle. Never really liked Plague Marines and the whole rotting away with unspeakable lethal diseases but now that the detachment doesn't require them anymore I'm all game. Chosen with 5x Chem Flamers? Yes please. 

Too bad though I need another regular Nurgle CSM detachment to get Blight Drones in the mix (aren't they a favourite of the Purge?) anyways I'm very happy with this detachment. 

Fluffy but not really all that powerful except against certain enemies. Also the mental image of Chem rocket barrages tearing apart Tyranids and valiant Guardsman is just too delicious.

Archived