Cleaning an Airbrush?

Never tried that one. I use Windex (can't remember what it's called across the pond, but it's the blue window cleaner) and that works pretty well. I've heard from one person that it can mess with rubber gaskets if you use it too much, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. Never tried IPA myself, but I'm curious if it'd work. I know folks use it to thin their paints (I also use Windex for that sometimes) but I've not heard about cleaning with it. 

if you have PTFE needle seal (like badger's airbrushes, also Haarder & Steenbeck I think) then you'll be alright, otherwise IPA and mineral oils can melt/decompose the seal around the needle that seals between paint compartment and the needle mechanism. This will cause you paint leaking into the trigger mechanism. You really don't want that.

To be on the safe side, best is ethanol or methanol. Or airbrush cleaner fluid. like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-200ml-Airbrush-Cleaner/dp/B002X6BNYQ/ref=pd_sim_diy_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=16D6B59050WWVNK47921

Some paints respond poorly to alcohol.  Vallejo gets all gummy, for instance, which is a tad counterproductive.

Or at least I hear Vallejo does that.  I never use IPA for much of anything.

I've never had IPA do anything bad to any of my AB's, irrespective of seal types fitted. However, unless you are using IPA / X20A for thinning your paint, i'd use something else to clean it.

Say hello to Mr Muscle. biggrin.png

http://www.poundland.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/105271_1.jpg

I use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) both for stripping models and cleaning the airbrush.

Paints (like Vallejo) only get gummy in the tool when you use IPA and then water...just like it happens with model stripping.

If you take an IPA soaked model and rinse it in water (instead of only IPA)...you'll get a nice gummy paste.

Archived