Ainar Adalson's "Sesc" Company (some large pics)

mercbat

A thread of WIP, motivation and some ale-based boasting :wink:

My 1000 pts army I'm working on:

RP on bike, still unnamed for no significant deeds

gallery_81331_10545_154984.jpg

Ancient Alf "Green-blood soiled" (For wrecking a battlewagon and tearing 'ardarmored Nobs mob for pieces)

gallery_81331_10545_132465.jpg

Bradie Ainarsbrodir - Jarl's brother and first wolf guard, called "Big Sack" for magnetized 5 variants of wargear, with his WGTDA battle-brothers

gallery_81331_10545_233902.jpg

gallery_81331_10545_34208.jpg

The core of the company - Grey Hunters Packs

"Kveinid' - Howl

gallery_81331_10545_7198.jpg

And "Gnistrad" - Tooth Shriek

gallery_81331_10545_35209.jpg

TWC - Vang's Silvereyed pack called "Bloody Brooms" for effective horde wiping.

gallery_81331_10545_25764.jpg

And the whole pack on the hunt.

gallery_81331_10545_216800.jpg

Great thanks to all Aett-brothers for inspiration and ideas.

I'm not normally a fan of dary grey but these look amazing! What's the plan moving forward?

Converting storm bolters on WGTDA  to combi-"magnit everything", due to meganobs of my opponent on the horizont, and then building full-kit (PA, TDA, TWC) of Wolf Lord Ainar Adalson. Hope the wolf-style Cerastus-knight Castigator would follow.

I love the look of these models and together the unit looks great.  What was your color combination?  I'm getting ready to paint up my SW and while I do like the blue/grey look, your dark grey look is totally cool.  I want to do a couple of tests and see which I prefer before I paint up the whole force.

I love the look of these models and together the unit looks great.  What was your color combination?  I'm getting ready to paint up my SW and while I do like the blue/grey look, your dark grey look is totally cool.  I want to do a couple of tests and see which I prefer before I paint up the whole force.

Color scheme:

Armour : Adeptus Battlegrey -> Devlan Mud -> restore AB everywhere except recceses -> edge highlight with Codex grey (Astronomicon Grey also looks fine but too light for me)

Accessories : Chainmail -> Badab Black -> slightly drybrush Chainmail back

Gunmetal: Boltgun -> Gryphonne Sepia all surface wash

Feel free to ask if something else is interesting.

Those are some beautiful wolves. I like the darkish grey much better than the typical baby blue. How did you do the snow on the bases and the vehicles?

PVA Glue, Soda. Apply glue with suitable brush, then apply small portions of soda over it. Couple experiments with amounts of both and you'll succeed =)

Gotta echo everyone on the look of your army. They look awesome alone as well as together. The light use of snow really sets them apart in my opinion. Really well done. Welcome to the Fang & looking forward to seeing more.

Just a warning about soda..it doesn't last and can ruin minis from what I have researched. A tub of snow flock is about a tenner and will last a whole army easily!

On GH bases it is about a year without any changes. I've heard it seriously depends of glue.

I think for the price of snow flock, it's not worth the risk, just my 2 cents though.

Defo stealing your idea if having snow settle on vehicles though!

I just haven't seen good snow flock may be. Citadel and others I've saw are not a snow for me, they were just white static grass. So I've tried "the old scale-modelling way" :)

Edited by mercbat

• 2 weeks later...

As I promised - The saga of bravery, ferocity and misfortune

I might be misusing some rules and terms, but it's my third 7th edition game and seventh game at all.

SW vs Orks 1000pts

Eternal war; Emperor's will - Hammer of Anvil

SW:

RP on Bike

WGTDA - 4 C-plasma, 3 SS, HF, PF, FrostSword

Dreadnought - AC, GC w\SB

GHx6 (ccw\plasma) on Razor TLHB

GHx6 (ccw\plasma) on Razor TLLC

TWC - 3 SS, PS, TH, Chainsword

Orks

Megaboss + meganobz х 4 + painboy in battlewagon

Nobz х 5 (2 combi-scorcha + 3 Bigchoppa)

'Ardboyz (11+Nob w/PK) in trukk

Boyz (21+Nob w/PK)

Killa-kan x 2

Orks had first turn

Turn1

Orks - Greenskin's rusty wheeled piles of metal advances on full speed, rest of the horde, screaming worse than Eldar banshee, rushed in our direction

Wagon and truck made more than half of the field in one turn,

SW -  First losses, plasma brother from Kveinid pack dissapears in a sunbright explosion of his weapon.

Warp resists the will of our priest so he failed the spell, but his TL-bolter with help of Plasmagun from pack Gnistrad and Ancient Alf's AC - explodes  the Trukk, killing  2 'Ardboyz

Turn 2

Orks - Megaboss with retinue disembarks from wagon, charges, suffer 1 wound from Overwatch and destroys the TLHB Razorback.

'Ardboyz charges into Ancient Alf, losing 2 in combat, but Nob made mighty blow with his Klaw taking out 1HP from dreadnought

Rest of green gang is slogging.

SW - Seeing this huge insanely armored figures  Bradie "Big Sack" commands his TDAWG to teleport on the battlefield.

Iron priests were blessed by the Allfather and there was no scatter or other teleport-failures.

Massive bolter fire and crack grenade takes 1 wound from meganobz, TLLC instakills one more of the pack.

Than mighty wolf guards showed their stunning skills and expirience: combi-plasma rapid fire burns away Megaboss

and his closest bodyguard despite of their size and toughness.

Sadly wyrd also wasn't kind to plasma brother from Gnistrad pack and he also died through his weapon explosion.

Meanwhile mighty Alv killed 2 more of the 'Ardboyz, and evaded all blows of PowerKlaw.

Scared with their complete inability even scratch him - 'ardboyz  tried to flee, but Ancient's sweeping advance buried their hopes along with themselves.

Near him "Bloody brooms" (TWC) charges big green blob killing 6 and losing 2 wounds

Turn 3

Orks - Remains of meganobz pack charges into TDAWG, Painboy suddenly kills all 3 of  C-pl\SS brothers.

Angried by this - HF\PF brother wipes them from the battlefield with his mighty counter-attacking powerfist.

TWC suffers 1 more wound and kills Nob with 4 boys in a row.

Shoota nobz and Killakans - keep going.

After his sub-turn My opponent closely examined  the table and conceded defeat.

I took Firstblood and Slay the Warlord, he made Linebreaker. Main objectives were uncontrolled by both.

They do look really good! Those runes really pop on a darker grey. More so on a well painted darker grey, props! Another thread for me to follow.

As for the soda and glue... I've read the same thing that it can yellow over time and look terrible after, but I've also read arguments stating thats not true.... No personal experience on the matter. What I do have experience with, and love, is secretweaponminiatures crushed glass and realistic water. Your method already looks great, only offer this up if you get worried about its effect down the road. The crushed glass/water effect gives a slightly slushier, somewhat melting look to the snow... but lets remember the heat of a war is likely happening around these minis.

Edited by Argyle

@Argyle This week I had a talk with some historical modellists, and they've said that it's really depends on glue quality - it must not be frozen below 5°C, and despite of quality adding 1/10-1/8 of white paint in glue would solve problem totally.