Ashen Circle Tactics

Terkael

Hello all, my question today is the Ashen circle and their use. Has anyone had any luck with them?
They seem a bit pricey to run MSU although a few power axes seem like a solid investment. I typically use around a 7 man squad with 2 power axes to harass back field units.

Never used em but thought about them.

I'd definitely take take a phosphex bomb on them as the added AP2 is always welcome and you can use them like a quasi Marbo. I really wouldn't mind deep striking them in up close (as they're meant to be) and unleashing hell with a phosphex, four flamer templates, and the burning descent rule.

Even if they get charged, you get d3 flamer templates (albeit at S3) per guy, plus all the buffs they get from their legion tactics. They'll stay in the fight with the higher leadership, be harder to hit with with higher WS, and if you have at least one axe rake, you can be pretty sure about sweeping an enemy if you win in cc.

They'd probable be better with more guys, but that's up to you.

• 9 months later...

Threadomancy time.

So I want to build a 10man squad out of the chaos raptors box. What equipment would be ideal? 2-3 axes? Any inferno/plasma pistols?

I did a little testing with a full squad, 2 axes, inferno pistol, aa, and 1 phosphex. I had better luck starting them on the board and hiding them behind things until they can pop out from behind something and unleash hell. Oddly they make for a good DISTRACTION CARNIFEX if you deepstrike them, people panic when they see that many flamers.

Anyways I didn't go overboard with the axes as they make an already expensive unit even more expensive and vs most other melee units you don't want to overkill and get shot up next round.

I actually think axes are very well priced for ashen circle, in a 10 man squad I'd throw axes on half the unit. With a phosphex on the sarge you've got a nice anti TEQ unit, just watch out for terminator units with lots of ap3.

Also worth considering running Zardu with ashen circle, since you can't throw any characters in the unit a roll on that dark channeling table will be a really nice bonus for them regardless of what you get.

I actually think axes are very well priced for ashen circle, in a 10 man squad I'd throw axes on half the unit. With a phosphex on the sarge you've got a nice anti TEQ unit, just watch out for terminator units with lots of ap3.

Also worth considering running Zardu with ashen circle, since you can't throw any characters in the unit a roll on that dark channeling table will be a really nice bonus for them regardless of what you get.

Dark channeling Daemon + Zardu's Cursed Earth on AC can make them a serious pain. Just avoid Fury of the Legion tac blobs so weight of fire doesn't drag you down unless you know your getting the charge.

Archived