Question on Sniper rule for Vets

Emperor's Furor

My understand is the weapon they carry needs to have the sniper rule otherwise they only receive the ability to do precision shots and always wound on 4s. Am I right on this? because even the FAQ supplied for Forgeworld doesn't clear it up for me because they use the meltagun as the example weapon and well that's ap 1 already, would bolters and heavy bolters be ap 2 on a roll of a 6?

Unless the weapon in questions has better than a 4+ to wound and/or Ap2 then it uses the profile given on a roll of 6.

So yes, agaisnt T7 Castellax, bolter vets with sniper would wound on a 4+ and have Ap2, for example, if they rolled a 6 to hit.

They would use the Better Profile in all instances. So 6 to Hit - Ap2 6 To wound Ap2 > Ap3 = Ap2

Nevermind I thought sniper made you ap 2 on a roll to hit, but it's the same as Banstrike ammo and only on to wound rolls. You only get precision shot if you roll a 6 to hit and that just allows you to pick your target. Think I'm getting my wires crossed with the old eldar pathfinders.

I don't know why you keep mentioning on a 6 to hit, it's meaningless for the rules.

Sniper works as follows (more or less).

If a model or weapon has it, and is making a shooting attack it'll wound on a 4+ unless it would wound on something better, period. (As Forgeworld explained in the FAQ) Doesn't matter what you rolled to hit. To wound gives mini rend on sixes as well.

The only time a 6 to hit matters is because they all get precision shots. The rules for sniper are always in effect regardless of hit rolls.

Archived