How Washes Work

Hey, so I was painting up a Death Company marine and had some weird things happen when I applied the washes.

I'm still relatively new new to using anything beyond normal paints and I'm not sure which one is supposed to be right. When I washed the bolter the end effect was shiny, almost as if it had water on it. When I did the backpack it came out muted and muddied.

Sorry I can't provide any pics as I don't have accesses to a decent enough camera.

Thanks for the help.

Branchow

What brand and colour?

Citadel Shades should dry with a matt finish. If it dries gloss, it probably isn't mixed properly, so shake it up a bit more.

It can also turn gloss if you apply it too thick, but that's quite difficult to do - normally the excess will run right off the model. You only need to watch out for it pooling in areas where it can't flow away.

What KhorneFlakes said, also I recommend only applying the washes in the recesses of the miniature if you are trying to shade it. IF, on the other hand, you want to add dirt to the armour using washes then its better to water it down a bit and add multiple layers rather than one thick one or it might come out shiny.

I would echo what the others have said but I wouldn't worry too much about the finish as long as the general effect is what you're going for. As long as the area is shaded how you would like it to be, then a matt or satin cost will dull any shine and make it all sit together nicely.

Archived