Ichiban Brushes :)

Just to be really clear when people are talking about the W&N Series 7 brushes, this is from the W&N website:

SERIES 7 KOLINSKY SABLE BRUSHES

The world's finest water colour brush.

You can see it right here: http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/brushes/for-water-colour/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes

I love my Series 7s, but refuse to use them any more for metallics/iridescents, I've found that the iridescent flecks cause the hairs to either deviate from the point or simply break off where they adhere, and that's even with making sure the paint doesn't dry on them and washing them with Master's Brush Soap immediately afterward.

I have found I really like the W&N Cotman and Sceptre Gold II brushes for cheaper versions that still give me good paint control and don't cost near as much.

The Ichiban brushes now have me interested, I've got to look into them some more!

Thanks for that advice - I had not even considered that perhaps that was what might be damaging some of my brushes.  I guess I'll set aside a "lesser" Kolinsky brush for metallics and probably also ink lining, and keep the best brushes safe from that kind of punishment.

Is there a source for the Ichiban brushes in the USA?  I'd be interested in trying them but I trey to limit my international orders - things often take too long and seem to get lost on their way to me (even from Canada... maybe it's my mailman!)

Just to be really clear when people are talking about the W&N Series 7 brushes, this is from the W&N website:

SERIES 7 KOLINSKY SABLE BRUSHES

The world's finest water colour brush.

You can see it right here: http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/brushes/for-water-colour/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes

I love my Series 7s, but refuse to use them any more for metallics/iridescents, I've found that the iridescent flecks cause the hairs to either deviate from the point or simply break off where they adhere, and that's even with making sure the paint doesn't dry on them and washing them with Master's Brush Soap immediately afterward.

I have found I really like the W&N Cotman and Sceptre Gold II brushes for cheaper versions that still give me good paint control and don't cost near as much.

The Ichiban brushes now have me interested, I've got to look into them some more!

What brand of metallics are you using? It might be the specific metal flakes that company is using.

For the record my Raphael 8404's have not had this happen with Citadel metallics, but having seen how rough some metallic paints can look to the naked eye, I can believe that they will tear up a brush.

Citadel and Vallejo paints, along with the Liquitex Iridescent medium. Sadly, I know that it is most likely this as the cause, as I have a separate set of brushes for metallic vs. standard colors and use separate water pots.

Those folks that already use Ichiban brushes, I would personally be interested in your feelings on their properties.

Is there a source for the Ichiban brushes in the USA?  I'd be interested in trying them but I trey to limit my international orders - things often take too long and seem to get lost on their way to me (even from Canada... maybe it's my mailman!)

I'm pretty sure they're currently only sending from their UK base - although they are attending US events, if that helps. With 'International Tracked' mail, I'd imagine it'd be pretty swift. They generally always have been for Kickstarters!

A Kickstarter that ships quickly? From England?  Wow, I'm not used to that - backed two of Mantic's bigger projects and have just recently finally got the last of a pledge I paid for 18 months ago.

Archived