The Emerald Avengers WIP

Delta E.T

Index Astartes
http://i61.tinypic.com/2n08nz7.jpg
Battle-brother of the Second Company, first squad

The Emerald Avengers Space Marines Chapter

[imageright][/imageright]Origins
The Emerald Avengers chapter was created during an unknown founding, and with a forgotten progenitor, but with clear purpose. Founded to protect the relatively isolated and calm Segmentum Pacificus, the Emerald Avengers have sworn to defend it from xenos and traitor alike. For the many millennia of their existence, they have operated as ghosts, myths and legends across the segmentum, thankless and solidary. The Emerald Avengers will never taste the honor or spoils that the more famous Astartes will experience, yet they pride themselves on the fact that they have held a front on the already battered and surrounded Imperium. Very few records detail their wars, their sacrifice, or even their existence. This fact that has led many would-be conquerors suddenly and utterly destroyed in a segmentum that appears seemingly defenseless.

Home World/Homeworld
The Emerald Avengers are a fleet-based chapter who fight primarily in the Segmentum Pacificus, and have no homeworld. Akin to spectres, their ships appear out of nowhere to deploy battle-brothers on worlds on the verge of being overrun. For much of the chapters history, they have operated in relative isolation from other Imperial forces, appearing either before or much after other Imperial forces.

It is unknown why the chapter does not have a homeworld, and the Emerald Avengers are silent. Some speculate that this is because of a great heretical or treasonous action was done, and they were forced into a penitent crusade. Others say they merely prefer greater mobility. Whatever the cause, their current Fortress Monastery is on the battle barge Hope’s Remnant, a vessel so ancient that the chapter claims is from the Great Crusade. However it is not uncommon for individual companies or their strike cruisers to separate from the majority of the chapter, returning years later after great campaigns or crusade. Truly their only home is their vessels and the cosmos themselves.

Combat Doctrine
The chapter favors mass deployments of battle brothers, with a mixture of drop-pods, teleportation and air-launches. These lightning tactics are designed to decimate enemy forces with a mixture of surprise and overwhelming force to cripple the more numerous enemy before it can act. Emerald Avengers tend to engage the most numerous and dangerous of targets, frequently without support from other Imperial forces. It is not uncommon that the chapter will deploy in the hundreds via drop pod if deemed sufficient to totally annihilate a foe at once. They favor these types of conflicts over surgical operations carried out by other chapters. The chapter know that such operations are delicate to success and failure, and they do not have the luxury of other forces should they fail. Better to strike quickly and take out the the enemy at once before things escalate out of control.

Companies are often deployed in halves called Scythes. Such divisions are always temporary and are utilised when the chapter uses a flanking or pincer strike, and are frequently reorganised following battles. A typical assault will be initiated with the first Scythe engaging the enemy, and the second Scythe deployed shortly after in the enemies’ flank when the initial element of surprise has faded. Speed is essential to their strategy; they have to to destroy the enemy before their targets can regroup or gather reinforcements. As such drop pods, Thunderhawks and recently Storm Ravens are favored by the chapter over slower elements. Their enemies are routed mere moments after the landing of a dozen drop pods and jump troops.

Organization/Organisation
Individual companies are capable of being very independent and almost autonomous. Due to a need to be available everywhere in the Segmentum Pacificus, it is common that companies will operate on campaigns without contact with the rest of the chapter for years on end. Due to their possible isolation from each other, all companies maintain a mixture of tacticals, assault, devastator, scout and veteran marines; veteran, scout and reserve companies do not exist among the chapter. Marines are assigned to a company for life; Scouts are divided among the companies, and if a marine is promoted to veterancy he will remain in his company as a paragon to aspire to. A company will rely on their own allocated pool of scouts to replace casualties taken during their wars. Recruits are gathered at a companies’ whim on any world they might visit, but are also allocated when they return to the main body of their chapter. A ‘death council’ is often assembled during periods of long solitude from the rest of the chapter. A death council always contains a captain, a chaplain and a command squad, but may also include apothecaries, librarians, techmarines and other veterans to better act according to the chapter’s wishes.

Librarians are both relatively rare and revered by the chapter. They are called Reapers, both for their abilities to deal death, the ceremonial black armor that they wear and their role in culling the unworthy from the chapter’s proving grounds. When the Emerald Avengers test potential neophytes, after being checked for physical compatibility with the chapter’s geneseed by an apothecary, a Reaper engages in a psychic battle of will with the candidate. The Reaper floods their minds with visions of death, destruction and other dark, terrible thoughts. If the subject is able to endure the test with their sanity intact and their will their own the recruit continues to further training. Those with their minds broken are never heard from again. Emerald Avengers believe that mental strength is the most valuable aspect of a true Astartes, and look down on chapters that recruit purely on the merits of physical traits.

Dreadnoughts are less common than in other chapters. An eternity of dulled nightmares is never particularly appealing to members of the chapter, and to rob a brother's earned death is unholy. As such dreadnoughts are rare and only interned during less than ideal circumstances.

Sergeants have a green stripe going through the center of their helmet. Veterancy is shown with a black helmet. Company differentiation is indicated by a number on their right knee pad, and squad on their left.

Beliefs
The Emerald Avengers believe that only through death can the Imperium continue to live. They admire the Imperial Guard, the Sisters of Battle and their own battle-brothers for their willingness to die and martyr themselves on the field of battle. Most of all, they admire the Emperor, whose interment into the Golden Throne is the form of ultimate death. His continuing pain whilst on it has held the Imperium together for ten millennia. Likewise, they honor members of the chapter who slaughter many foes before succumbing themselves. Only worthy deaths are praised however, suicidal attacks or the squandering of men’s lives are looked down upon. They praise the Primarchs and other heroes, such as Sanguinius, for dealing great damage to their enemies before being ‘rewarded’ with an eternal and satisfying death. They loathe those who attack innocent civilians, for they had no chance to redeem themselves through a final battle.

Their heraldry also shows their beliefs .White is the purity of their purpose, black is death that they have or will deal, and green the lifeforce of the chapter forged through sacrifice.

Gene-seed/Geneseed
Perhaps the most unusual organ in the Emerald Avenger’s geneseed is the Omophagea, or the Remembrancer. The Omophagea behaves strangely, sending visions of death and loss through the marine’s mind. Members of the chapter will see dark and brooding flashes that resemble memories. Often they include the slaughter of many fellow battle-brothers, the triumph of hated enemies and even the constant psychic fracturing of the Emperor’s soul. The visions are worst among recruits new to the chapter, and become less frequent as he matures, but never truly fade away. Even if a space marine eats little, he will on occasion still be flooded with these terrible nightmares. It is believed that the Catalepsean node also has to do something with this, but it is difficult to determine.

These nightmares are further amplified among neophytes with the psyker gene, for many would be librarians the visions are so powerful that they are driven mad. This means comparatively few librarians are produced by the chapter, but those that do are amongst the strongest warriors the Imperium produces. Other than these the geneseed is surprisingly stable and has not developed further mutations.

Battle-cry/Battlecry/Chapter Motto
Death for life! Life for death!

((suggestions, advice and critism is welcome))

Very interesting Chapter, I especially like the gene-seed mutation. I might suggest going into a bit more detail about their recent history, but aside from that, great IA in my book!

Thank you! I put a lot of effort before it was remotely presentable biggrin.png

Recent history and some characters of note was on my to-do list, but due to my tendency to write, well, Mary Sue characters (I blame my grey knights), I'll take a little time to do this.

From your description of the Marines' visions, it appears the Chapter is constantly in danger of falling to Chaos. May I presume, like the Exorcists, it has two extra Scout Companies to cover the attrition this causes?

You make a good point. Chaos could be a potent enemy here, especially Tzeentch, whose domain extends to dreams I believe. Perhaps a company that never came back could have formed a small warband...

As for scouts, its a bit of dilemma. Do I have a very slow recruitment rate, where the Reapers weed out so many candidates that they might find half a dozen strong worthy to be tested per visit? Or does this chapter have a lot of scouts, but few last long enough to progress to a full space marine?

Regarding their attitude to death, how do they feel about continuing service in a Dreadnaught? is it closer to Grey Knights, feeling that after death they have done their duty, or more towards Iron Hands who aspire to become a dreadnaught?

Dreadnoughts are "shut down" or "sleep" in a state of near zero brain activity (I think, but I do know they are shut down/sleep) while they are not in combat, existence for them is constant and endless warfare, over and over, they don't have time to dream...

It did some further reading into this, very good question. As Bjorn Firewalker said, because of the ongoing nightmares they would face as they 'sleep away the centuries' (as stated in the 6th ed codex), a dreadnought would not be a very sought after position. I would imagine that the toils of the centuries would eventually break even the strongest of warriors into a near-madness. I think that an Emerald Avenger dreadnought, especially an older one, would be treated and act similarly to one in the Death Company of the Blood Angels and their successors. They could rampage on for several days before being shut down by techmarines and soothed by a chaplain. Also in similarity they must decide whether or not to ultimately dismantle the dread or to keep him asleep for a long time.

Well that's an interesting piece of lore ohmy.png
Guess I could paint them black also to show that they are basically only capable of death. I think I'll get to work on some characters...

Thanks to both of you!

I support the idea of an Emerald Avengers equivalent to the Blood Angels' Death Company. An alternate name must be chosen, unless you specifically state the Emerald Avengers are Blood Angels successors.

As for recruitment, the 'Warhammer 40,000' setting is not one in which the luxury of time is enjoyed IN-UNIVERSE. Better to have extra Scout Companies, and let any who succumb to the nightmares, go to the Death Company equivalent- better they die at the enemies' hands, than at their own battle-brothers'.

As for whether or not a Dreadnought dreams, I'm fairly certain Tankred (the Black Templar Dreadnought from the 'Damnation Crusade' graphic novel) does. Do other Dreadnoughts dream? I don't know. What do other Black Library works say?

I'm against the idea of a full pseudo-death company. These nightmares and visions are quite unlike those of the Black Rage, which puts the marine as Sanguinus vs Horus. The visions and dreams of the Emerald Avengers are of loss and destruction, not of an epic battle. One who would succumb to the madness would be broken in spirit if not driven completely insane, and would not be even remotely battle-worthy. Especially neophytes. Plus I don't really want to steal the Blood Angels' cool lore tongue.png

I just mentioned death company as I had an idea for perhaps one especially venerable dreadnought, and to prevent having essentially chaos helbrutes in the chapter (that you were completely correct about). To say the least I don't think dreadnoughts will be a prominent part of the chapter.

I disagree on the addition of two extra scout companies. Geneseed is the Emperor's most sacred gift to humanity, to squander it on unworthy rabble simply to boost numbers is inefficient at best and darn right heretical at worst. Ritual and tradition is also important, and I don't want to copy the Exorcists. But you do make a good point, the numbers of this chapter would be almost always understrength, due to a stringent recruiting phase and the potentially disastrous drop pod tactics. I'm going to say maybe 6 companies would be a good strength to represent these drawbacks.

To continue the comparison of the Death Company, once they are afflicted by these nightmares are they broken forever? Only two Blood Angels have been known to come back from the Black Rage. Would your Chapter have more brothers come back from despair? 

I like what you have going on here. Perhaps an example of a battle of campaign they participated in, and which the only records of their battle honors are their own?

Either way, I like what you have going on here. And the color scheme is very striking. Keep up the good work. :)

To continue the comparison of the Death Company, once they are afflicted by these nightmares are they broken forever? Only two Blood Angels have been known to come back from the Black Rage. Would your Chapter have more brothers come back from despair?

I don't think so. They have these nightmares forever, even if they are less intense as time goes on. To be 'broken' would simply mean that the marine would no longer have the mental willpower to deal with these and simply go insane. They also have chaplains to confide in to try to get meaning out of these nightmares, but mostly they are on their own. If they break it would be very hard to rehabilitate them and so they would probably be given the Emperor's Mercy.

I like what you have going on here. Perhaps an example of a battle of campaign they participated in, and which the only records of their battle honors are their own?

Either way, I like what you have going on here. And the color scheme is very striking. Keep up the good work. smile.png

http://i60.tinypic.com/10gfr0o.jpg

Well thanks! I will definitely get to work on character and so noteworthy battles/campaigns. I am working on their chapter master, Excellus.

Is there a particular reason for the unknown founding angle? It's something that we see incredibly often in the Liber and it's something I generally advise against. 

Is there a particular reason for the unknown founding angle? It's something that we see incredibly often in the Liber and it's something I generally advise against. 

I wanted to make an image that they chapter is reportedly ancient, but aren't entirely sure of their origins. Since librarians are rare in their chapter, comparatively little of their history is recorded, confounded by the fact that the companies often operate independently for long stretches of time in many parts of the Segmentum. Looking at the foundings a lot of them aren't even recorded properly, especially the ones before events such as the Reign of Blood c. m35 or m.36. Would you suggest saying rumored m.32 founding for example, or just leaving it unknown? In my opinion the only foundings that tell us much in the way of story is the 1st, 2nd,13th and the 21st; the others have very little detail.

I wanted to make an image that they chapter is reportedly ancient, but aren't entirely sure of their origins. Since librarians are rare in their chapter, comparatively little of their history is recorded, confounded by the fact that the companies often operate independently for long stretches of time in many parts of the Segmentum. Looking at the foundings a lot of them aren't even recorded properly, especially the ones before events such as the Reign of Blood c. m35 or m.36. Would you suggest saying rumored m.32 founding for example, or just leaving it unknown? In my opinion the only foundings that tell us much in the way of story is the 1st, 2nd,13th and the 21st; the others have very little detail.

Aside from the well documented foundings, the number of the founding the chapter belongs to is fairly immaterial except through gauging the age of the chapter.The point of my initial post though isn't the founding itself - it's the lack of knowledge. There has to be a good reason for the chapter (and the Imperium) to not know. 

You did mention there is a scarcity of Librarians in the chapter and thus records are either ill kept or unwritten. I would counter that there is plenty of other ways a chapter could keep it's records rather than rely on their few Librarians*. Without delving into alternatives to the Librarian-record-keeping problem (which theoretically could be almost anyone in the chapter), could there be a reason why the chapter doesn't value written records? Is there cultural motivation to disregard such important details of the past?

Also, it's not that the foundings haven't been well recorded in the Imperium - the fluff doesn't say either way whether or not this is the case. It's just that they have not received any attention from GW (at least to the degree of the foundings you name). If you are going for a venerable chapter, I would suggest going for old-but-not-too-old. Let's say M34. By the time of the 41st millennium, that's seven thousand years ago. That's plenty old enough, imho.

* The dearth of Librarians isn't explained, afaik. Do you have a plausible reason for the Chapter to lack psykers? 

Aside from the well documented foundings, the number of the founding the chapter belongs to is fairly immaterial except through gauging the age of the chapter.The point of my initial post though isn't the founding itself - it's the lack of knowledge. There has to be a good reason for the chapter (and the Imperium) to not know.

Also, it's not that the foundings haven't been well recorded in the Imperium - the fluff doesn't say either way whether or not this is the case. It's just that they have not received any attention from GW (at least to the degree of the foundings you name). If you are going for a venerable chapter, I would suggest going for old-but-not-too-old. Let's say M34. By the time of the 41st millennium, that's seven thousand years ago. That's plenty old enough, imho.

Ah, I see. It's just to glance at the age of the chapter quickly. I can see how that could be annoying on the Liber tongue.png

I'll add m34, sounds like a good age for an older chapter, and allows me to write about the Plague of Unbelief and the Macharian Crusade/Heresy, major conflicts that occured at least in part in Segmentum Pacificus.

You did mention there is a scarcity of Librarians in the chapter and thus records are either ill kept or unwritten. I would counter that there is plenty of other ways a chapter could keep it's records rather than rely on their few Librarians*. Without delving into alternatives to the Librarian-record-keeping problem (which theoretically could be almost anyone in the chapter), could there be a reason why the chapter doesn't value written records? Is there cultural motivation to disregard such important details of the past?

* The death of Librarians isn't explained, afaik. Do you have a plausible reason for the Chapter to lack psykers?

I did believe I mentioned that the psyker gene reacts unusually with the unique geneseed of the chapter. Regular battle-brothers suffer from the occasional nightmare and flashes that resemble memories, but psykers tend to experience these much more often/powerfully. In addition to the regular trials and training of a space marine, he must also have an incredibly mental fortitude to overcome the traumatic visions; which in turn also contributes on making them some of the strongest of the chapter.

'Librarians are both relatively rare and revered by the chapter.'

'These nightmares are further amplified among neophytes with the psyker gene, for many would be librarians the visions are so powerful that they are driven mad. This means comparatively few librarians are produced by the chapter, but those that do are amongst the strongest warriors the Imperium produces. Other than these the geneseed is surprisingly stable and has not developed further mutations.'

Earlier we also had a bit of a discussion on dreadnoughts, who would also be fewer in number than some chapters as they sleep throughout the centuries, they still experience some nightmares, and even the strongest of them might eventually be driven insane, so the chapter keeps fewer. With less librarians and dreadnoughts, a lot of history would be unrecorded and unremembered throughout time. So of course some records and achievements are keep, less than the usual number are kept. They might be remembered more as old stories, songs and shards of relics rather than cold, written records. I believe the chaplains and possibly the captains/other vets would have a story telling tradition? I'll mention that somewhere when I add some important history to the article.

Many thanks for asking these questions!

Just to note - where you cut and pasted the part where I mentioned the word "dearth", you deleted the 'r' making the word 'death'. The word 'dearth' was intentional.

Dearth:

noun
1. a scarcity or lack of something.
"there is a dearth of evidence"

archaic
2. a situation where food is in short supply

Just to note - where you cut and pasted the part where I mentioned the word "dearth", you deleted the 'r' making the word 'death'. The word 'dearth' was intentional.

Dearth:

noun
1. a scarcity or lack of something.
"there is a dearth of evidence"
archaic
2. a situation where food is in short supply

Woops, didn't even know of that word haha tongue.png

My mistake, English isn't my first language.

Edit: I'm in the process of updating this IA. Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions and gave encouragement. I've realized that while the core concept is fairly thought out, this chapter needs more polishing, especially with their origins, later history and attitude as loners and death-dealers. Over the coming days or couple of weeks I will be pumping my creative muscles and try to develop some of the finer points. Again thanks to everyone who gave feedback and feedforward. I will still be around if anyone wants to ask questions, but keep in mind many of these areas will be changed or altered.

• 2 weeks later...
Just read it again, and, I have to say, your edits certainly added to the IA (I'm not hallucinating, right? Because it seems different. Probably Tzeentch messing with my mortal mind...). Anyway, they definitely seem more grimdark now, and the Librarians as reapers angle is one I wholeheartedly ascribe to. Do you plan to submit it to the Tabula soon, or are you going to add more edits?

Just read it again, and, I have to say, your edits certainly added to the IA (I'm not hallucinating, right? Because it seems different. Probably Tzeentch messing with my mortal mind...). Anyway, they definitely seem more grimdark now, and the Librarians as reapers angle is one I wholeheartedly ascribe to. Do you plan to submit it to the Tabula soon, or are you going to add more edits?

I haven't actually updated this particular page for a while now tongue.png ,but I am writing a little more of it in Google docs. I'm glad that you think its more cohesive than the original, a lot of good banter helped too msn-wink.gif

I do have plans to submit to the Tabula, but for now I am doing some edits, particularly on their origins and their later history, and I'll explain their lack of records (hint: Alpha Legion are not their friends). I am also a little distracted in writing a Sisters order, but hey, adding allies is never a bad thing laugh.png

Archived