Sin City Primarchs

Ok guys - I need an opinion really:

Something I'm a big fan of is how Sin City did some really arty scenes in black and white and then went completely OTT with blood spatter and bruising effects.  I'd be undercoating with a white spray and then progressively watering down a black wash.

At the moment the only HH series mini II see this working with is Angron (although Kurze, Sevatar and Khârn could make it work).

Any hints before I splurge a lot of cash on this?

I wouldn't rely a whole lot on washes to do the trick.  A lot of Sin City's look is from very stark black and white, rather than a grayscale.  At any rate, I would really like to see how this plays out.

Kurze seems like he would be perfect for this.  More than Angron, I think.

Angron is Marv. You have to get or GS a long coat for him thumbsup.gif .

Corax can be Miho, long black hair and silent attacks.

Mortarion as the "yellow bastard".

Sanguinus as little nancy callaghan as he's pretty biggrin.png .

I wouldn't rely a whole lot on washes to do the trick. A lot of Sin City's look is from very stark black and white, rather than a grayscale. At any rate, I would really like to see how this plays out.

Kurze seems like he would be perfect for this. More than Angron, I think.

Reason I was suggesting Angron was for the dynamism while having lots of bodies collapsing and dying around him. Lots of blood spatter all over the place rather than Kurze who'd have lots over the gloves and blades and then pools around him.

It's not something i'll do this month (pesky bills), but if I do it I'll get pics up soonish smile.png

Edit: Should add I'm thinking more Sin City the films rather than the comics, but they're awesome too....

I feel it`s a style that lends itself pretty well to the grimdark of setting. And I would agree that the colours ( like the red ) and work black and white. One would have to  be really well on the Direction of Light.  I also think you are quite right on the dynamic of the pose of the Anfrom model. I think Dark Horse Comics has an excellent Art of Frank Miller / Sin City out , which would probably be helpful in "getting the right feel".

Modelwise... the IF Templer Brethren lend themselves well to black, white and red^^

And I now have the urge to paint  Sevatar in black and white with the only red on the hands...

I can see a stark zenithal highlight working way better than washes, as Firepower pointed out. Don't move your airbrush or spray can around, and you will get pretty harsh transitions and a very directional highlight. Could look really cool! There will be areas where the detail will be washed out, for sure, by very dark or very light areas. In my opinion, this is a bit of a shame when you're dealing with a model that has such rich detailing all around it. It could look really cool, like I said, but it will also be very different. :D

I can see a stark zenithal highlight working way better than washes, as Firepower pointed out. Don't move your airbrush or spray can around, and you will get pretty harsh transitions and a very directional highlight. Could look really cool! There will be areas where the detail will be washed out, for sure, by very dark or very light areas. In my opinion, this is a bit of a shame when you're dealing with a model that has such rich detailing all around it. It could look really cool, like I said, but it will also be very different. biggrin.png

This could work - but if I do a black over a white spray I can greyscale some of the white areas which haven't been obliterated by black.

I've got some marines I've had undercoated for a year or so. I'll blast them with a white spray and see what the effect is.... If anyone has a particularly long memory there was an article in the Citadel Journal about 10 years ago on doing black and white minis. Why did I bin it?!

• 2 weeks later...

Some great tips here for Desaturated painting effects (SchnauzerFace Minis Vid).   This is based more of less off monster movies from the 20s - but perhaps you could do fewer gradients to increase the contrast. 

I think the best advice is to make your own Greys.  Some greys have a tendancy to have some hue in it and I think that could ruin the effect.

Please post up a pic when you get a chance to try it out!  

Ok, so I did the following:

Black undercoat with a directional white spray.

A white undercoat with a black wash

A white undercoat and selective detailing.

Part of the problem is that I'm not that great a painter.  Anything else is entirely operator incompetence.  The photos are suffering a little from glare - blood for the blood god on a white background isn't a great solution but I wanted to layer it on quite thick to make it pop.

If I had access to an airbrush I would probably use the link that Space has linked....

P1030172

P1030171

P1030170

P1030168

P1030173

Archived