++Interview with a Chaos Lord++

Tenebris

Chaeron, we really need to meet up and roll some dice. Damn you for being in Cambridge, you're just that bit too far away from me for it to be easy. I think we'd have good games.

Dragonlover

@Chaeron. Have you had your shots and how many infections did you spread at Salute (I ask because I may need to get tested)?

Seriously though, good read and I look forward to seeing what you create during the ETL.

Haha, no plagues. Cheers bud, appreciate it - hopefully, magic...!

Chaeron, we really need to meet up and roll some dice. Damn you for being in Cambridge, you're just that bit too far away from me for it to be easy. I think we'd have good games.

Dragonlover

I split my time between there and London - so plenty of possibilities for future. Definitely think we could have some great games!

Chaeron I have a confession to make. I read all of your posts like your Hugo Weaving. And I always add Mr. Anderson in the sentence ;).

What is your favorite model? And what's your favorite aspect of the death guard and nurgle?

Chaeron, if you had to sell all your models except one from your collection, what would you chose to keep, and can you post a photograph of the said model?

My prized piece is actually going to be painted for the ETL, it's an Armourcast Warhound Titan. I had wanted one for basically ever, and was delighted to get one for Christmas. The pre-photo will be posted this week!

Chaeron I have a confession to make. I read all of your posts like your Hugo Weaving. And I always add Mr. Anderson in the sentence ;).

What is your favorite model? And what's your favorite aspect of the death guard and nurgle?

Haha, I like that!

My favourite model? Difficult - I would probably go for the classic power fist armed champion - he just screams Death Guard to me! My favourite aspect? I would struggle to pick just one: visually stunning, with great fluff and endless possibilities for conversion. I think that is why so many are attracted to them as a force too!

Chaeron, how did you manage to make the sickly green/yellow color on your GUO?

Layers! I will repost the full tutorial when home, but it was something I had to work up to, systematically, and I'm very pleased with how it came out.

@chaeron do you invent your own characters to lead your death guard or do you do a named warband

Mixture of both! Depends on purpose truthfully, N'thren had been the leader in past however, Chaeron was for my Iron Warriors.

London you say. There's a few of us then.

Great place to be :)

Greetings and welcome to this week interview. I have Aasfresser for you, our resident Thousand Son and court sorcerer. Be wary, he is of the XVth, he is smart as an owl and sly as a fox. 

How have you become a Chaos Lord?

Sometime during the 3.rd edition. A friend I brought into the hobby bought the 3rd Ed codex and I flipped through it and my sould instantly was coruppted by Tzeentch. Back then I played Tyranids, still own them but don't play them.

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Around 2006 I bought my first Thousand Sons miniatures. Still buying them, still painting them.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

The XV Legion, the Thousand Sons. They are incredibly cool and very twisted in a more tragic way. I love the whole Rubric-Thing. An army of entrapped spirits, led by their former brothers into war only by force of will...

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

Converting, painting, playing & socializing (planning new conversions, armies, analyzing battles etc.) . In that order.

What is your play style?

I'm quite flexible, I guess. But there is a strong bias to a more shooty approach. I love leading my opponents into traps and shooting the heck out of them. Oh, and I love the new Psychic Phase. 

What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

I really don't know. I think my greatest achievement was when I finally finisched a unit of Thousand Sons, only after starting them 3 years before.

Do you collect and play any other armies?

Yes. I still have my Tyranids and I recently started some freebootin' Bad Moons. And I you count other CSM Legions I have some Black Legion and Iron Warrior Allies for my TS and of course some Tzeentch Demons. Some INQ28 models are on their way, they count as cultists or radicals that where tricked by Ahriman. And I fear I just started a small Cyrabor force.

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Ahriman.

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

Hm... I have very mixed feelings about those. Some I really enjoyed, some induced a feeling of being ashamed for buying and owning such garbage. I stopped buying HH books because of "Battle for the Abyss". A retarded fish could write better.

I guess i liked the first HH novel and the Ahriman novels.

Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

May Tzeentch bless you with a tentacle!

And may Slaanesh bless you with a...I'll get back to you once I've rechecked forum rules ;)

Yet another good read. T-Sons are pretty rare, especially ones as well painted/ modelled as yours.

So then...

If there's one part of the modelling process that drives you nuts, what is it and why?

How did you become so amazing at painting thousand sons?  They are some of the best I have ever seen. 

Secondly, whats your opinion of Tzeencth daemon models, you seem to be heavily sided with CSM side of chaos. 

And may Slaanesh bless you with a...I'll get back to you once I've rechecked forum rules msn-wink.gif

Yet another good read. T-Sons are pretty rare, especially ones as well painted/ modelled as yours.

So then...

If there's one part of the modelling process that drives you nuts, what is it and why?

I think it is finding matching arms for CSM and finding replacements for the awefull CSM-legs that come with the CSM spures. They are all so messy and full of molding lines. Or get metal bitz fitting... so horrible.

Otherwise I love converting, but I try to keep my conversions pretty simple.

I know that I have already asked you this question but please indulge me. Which is your recipe for the nice blue and gold of your models?

Glad you like them :) I'm always unsure if they are really good looking.

The gold is really simple: its Vallejo Model Color Brass with a wash of Davlan Mud. Thats it. Sometimes when I feel like it I ad a highlight of VMC Brass. I tried so many different ways to get the gold trims done. Drybrushing was to messy, layering took to long and often looked weird. It took me years to accept that I can't paint metallics and I simply don't have the patience to finish them. After realizing that, my TS kept coming and coming.

My recipe for blue is:

- Spray basecoat with GW Chaos Black

- cover blue areas with 1:1 mix of Kantor Blue and Abaddon Black

- layer pure Kantor Blue

- layer 1:1 Kantor Blue and Caledor Sky

- highlights with Caledor Sky

- wash with Drakenhof Nightshade (maybe thined down)

That gives a nice darkish blue. I always thin down my paints with the Vallejo Thinner Medium.

I really enjoy darker paint schemes, and a low contrast not always turns out nicely on the table. At least when it's mostly dark or dim where you play ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Another question, which is your favorite kit to loot conversion bits from? 

How do you play your Thousand Sons, how they fare?

Are they scions of Magnus or followers of Ahriman?

Do you plan to make a superheavy for your army? If yes, which one?

How did you become so amazing at painting thousand sons?  They are some of the best I have ever seen. 

Secondly, whats your opinion of Tzeencth daemon models, you seem to be heavily sided with CSM side of chaos. 

I had a lot time for practicing. Those TS I show you here are the 3rd or 4th incarnation of this army :)

My first one got stolen when I fell asleep at an bus stop... I was so tired and hung over. Bus came, I got in, left my transport case at the station. When I returned 5 minutes later they where already gone. After a month or two of post traumatic apathy Tzeentch gave me a sign. Somebody sold an even bigger TS force in a nicer and bigger transport case together with all his paint and I managed to get it for a sinfully low price. Without that lucky coincidence I wouldn't have started tabletop again. 

From that moment on I mostly painted blue dudes in fancy party hats to this day. No matter where I was, at home, hospital or during my bachelor thesis in the lab. Once you find a way to paint a miniature satisfyingly and stick to it it's a blast. And I'm a really slow painter. Like sloth-slow. Sometimes it takes me a month to finish one mini, sometimes only a day. Depends on my actual workload, my girlfriend and my health.

As for the demons: I have a LOC, some horrors and several herald and screamers. I really like them bus I can't convince myself to paint them. I hate organic structures. Unfortunately I only have the never horrors, they are some sort of ugly-ok-ish. The fact that I'd have to paint so many of them sets my in a state of horror.

Otherwise I'd first like to finish more of my TS. At least 2 core troops of TS and some vehicles. Than come the demons.

Thanks for the reply.

Another question, which is your favorite kit to loot conversion bits from? 

Are they scions of Magnus or followers of Ahriman?

Do you plan to make a superheavy for your army? If yes, which one?

1. My favorite kit is the herald of Tzeentch on Chariot. So many awesome bitz. With only one kit you can build 1 Herald, you have the disc, options for the burning chariot and several bitz to build sorcerers and champions of Tzeentch.

2. That's complicated, I'll respond in detail in a later post when I'll have more time!

3. I started them as Scions of Magnus, but know after the "A Thousand Sons" and the Ahriman novels I decided to make them Disciples of the Rubric and Ahriman. Also I love the Ahriman model and always wanted to use him.

4. No, not at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future, but I couldn't tell you which.

Aasfresser i must say like the others here i love your thousand sons army and they happen to be one of my fave legions (i even had my ass handed to me last weekend by a thousand sons army)

Whats your favorite bit of Thousand Sons lore?

Thank you!

My favorite bit of TS lore? It's very hard to say, I like nearly every bit about them. So it would be some standard stuff: burning of Prospero, the Rubric, Ahrimans quest for the Athenaeum and the black library, battle of the fang.

I like bits about Magnus after his ascension, e.g. when he puts Lorgar in his place after Lorgar mocks Magnus knowledge of the warp and the state of his legion. Or a very old piece from the Inquisition Wars trilogy where he sits in his tower on the planet of sorcerers and acts a bit like a 40k version of gargamel of the evil witch form Oz. It was cheesy and back then when I read it it bothered me, now I remember it fondly.

I like to play my TS very psychic-heavy and long ranged. If I stay true to a CSM/TS heavy list (3 sorcs, Ahriman, 2 small units of TS, 1 unit of plasma chosen, 1 unit of cultists, 1 unit of autohavocs) I usually lose, but I lose closely. Depending on the enemy. 

I normally don't know what list or army my opponent will bring and we don't have strange house rules. We mostly play very friendly games where I'm the one known to play "hard". Not in terms of lists, but strategy. I really can't say that's true. I never was at a tournament and I don't play competitively.

Against DA -> No problems

Against SW -> Draw or a very close victory or defeat

Against Astra -> in 3 out of 5 games it's a near total wipe

Against Nids -> No problems 

Against DE -> No problems

I've never had the pleasure to face Eldar/Tau/Necrons/Orks/etc in this edition, so my experiences are limited.

I played around with some popular CSM army themes for my TS and the most effective so far is an invisi-star/rush hybrid I don't like. But it is devastating in my environment. In others I think it would break apart.

Usually its a DP with wings and Burning Brand for buffing, and 2 sorcs on discs/bikes with gear (one with the black mace and all bio-spells, one with the balestar), 4 chaosspawns, 2 maulers, 2x 5 man strong TS squads /w rhinos, 1 squad of plasma Draznicht's Ravagers and the rest is cultists. The invisible spawn/bike star is ridiculous if you get the needed spells, and most of the time I do. The rest of the army cleans up whats left.

BUT as I said, I'm not a tournament goer nor have I ever played against most other armies in 7th E. 

It's a shame that a fluffy and shooty TS list doesn't stand a chance and is ridiculously overpriced. More than 2 units of TS is like a death sentence and the bigger the TS unit, the likelier it will be removed early. Oh and I hate cultists.  

I know this is kinda late but my question is for brother Insane Psychopath. Do you have any tips for an aspiring iron warrior? I'll be starting the iron warriors after my heresy night lords.

Just to ask what tips are you looking for?

Best thing to check out the Iron Warriors commuinty topic

++ Iron Within, Iron Without: IV Legion community ++

Greetings. Allow me to present you Dragonlover, a fellow Chaos Lord and one of the most active frater in the Chaos Community. 

How have you become a Chaos Lord?

Borrowed a mate's 2nd Ed Codex shortly after getting into the hobby, and was instantly hooked. To this day I have no idea why, something must have just clicked when I saw them.

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

1998, just at the end of 2nd Ed.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

The Nine Legions. They just encompass the full range of grandeur and horror of the faction. If you had to force me to pick just one, today it would be the Alpha Legion, sneaky gits that they are.

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

For me, it goes modelling/fluff>playing>painting. I own pretty much everything 40K related with a BL logo on it, but I only have painted models thanks to the Call and the ETL.

What is your play style?

Aggressive. I'd much rather get stuck in than play a complex dance of manoeuvre and counter manoeuvre. Obviously, this makes the current edition a touch trickier for me, but I persevere!

What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

The 3am conversation that led to Doorhammer 40K. In a nutshell, each player randomly generates a Force Org Chart and a total points value for the army between 1500 and 2000. The smaller army gets the difference in points to spend on unit upgrades. Makes for some weird games.

Actually getting to the point where I can say I have a fully painted army to a decent standard. Couldn't have done it without you guys, I need the extra push of a Call or ETL. And of course, helping win the ETL last year. 

Do you collect and play any other armies?

Not for 40K. The Nine Legion project takes up all my time and money, and although I have ideas for what to do when it's over, they're all Chaos related.

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Talos Velcoran. No, wait, Iskandar Khayon. Er, that's wrong too... Marduk? Honsou? Again, depends on the day and the mood.

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

My rough top five, in no real order is probably Gaunt's Ghosts (Traitor General in particular), A Thousand Sons, The First Heretic, Talon of Horus and Legion.

Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

Find a way of hobbying that works for you. If you couldn't give a damn about the game and just read the novels, that's cool. If all your stuff is bare plastic, that's cool. Just remember, other people get their kicks in different ways, there is no One True Way to 40K, or indeed to play/model Chaos. 

Oh, and if you've got a lot of infantry to paint, batch paint in fives. Not fifteens.

Dragonlover

Archived