++Interview with a Chaos Lord++

Tenebris

Right now? 6-7k is my rough guesstimate. Eventually? 18,000 points worth of Chaos Marines minimum, 2,000(ish) of Knights. I'll probably do some Dark Mechanicus at some point as well.

Dragonlover

What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

The 3am conversation that led to Doorhammer 40K. In a nutshell, each player randomly generates a Force Org Chart and a total points value for the army between 1500 and 2000. The smaller army gets the difference in points to spend on unit upgrades. Makes for some weird games.

Dragonlover

That sounds pretty cool! I would love to try something like that; is there more detail than your nutshell version you can share?

Best model will have to wait, I don't have decent pics of it.

Future big dream project? Not a clue, I mean, I'm working on my dream project right now, and will be for the next... six or seven years, assuming all goes well. The tangential dream project is have a house big enough for a gaming room, then deck out a sweet gaming room.

Dragonlover

Here's the Doorhammer stuff. Bear in mind it was initially written at three in the morning by a couple of the most casual casuals ever to roll a dice, and it was also written for 6th edition. What I'm saying is, there may be some horrific imbalances that we never spotted, and some of the stuff may be irrelevant nowadays.

Doorhammer 40k

Step 1:

For each Force organization Slot (FOS) roll a dice as follows:

HQ:  D2

Elites: D3

Troops: D6

Fast attack: D3

Heavy Support: D3

Step 2:

Then roll to determine how many are compulsory slots, using whatever dice is appropriate (bear in mind a possible result of 0 is required), e.g:

1x HQ (compulsory) 1xElite   6xTroops(4xcomp)    2x Fast Attack    1x Heavy Support

Step 3:

Each Player rolls D6x100 + 1,400pts to get a pts value between 1,500 and 2,000.

This is the total points for your army build.

Step 4:

If both players rolled the same pts total, then continue as normal.  However, if one player has less pts, then he can use the following method to spend the pts difference.  Then sit him down and make them a coffee! (they may need it!). Choose one of the following tables to make up the deficit from:

Ambush!

One of your opponents units disappears mysteriously on the way to the battle. You start with 1 Kill Point. NB: Your opponent does not actually lose anything from their army list.

Vital Objective

After placing objectives, but before the first turn, nominate 1 objective. This counts as 2 objectives for you, but only 1 for your opponent.

Spy Network

You get +1 to the roll to Seize the Initiative

Look Out Sir/Boss!

1 wound allocated to your commander is instead allocated to a member of the squad he is with. One use only.

15/25

Take a Mans Boots

If a model in a unit dies, another member of that unit may retrieve a single item of weaponry from his corpse for use in subsequent turns.

Blind Luck

You may choose to re-roll a single dice at any point during the game, subsequent to the usual restrictions on re-rolls.

Battlefield Preparation

After deciding deployment zones, but before deployment, you may move one piece of terrain. If this terrain piece contains a free standing objective, the objective does not travel with the terrain.

Strategic Redeployment

You may redeploy 1 unit after both sides have deployed, but before Scout/Infiltrate moves are made. May not be used in conjunction with Eldrad.

Improved Comm-link

You may adjust a single Reserves roll or a single Outflank roll by 1.

Infernal Meddling

You may force your opponent to re-roll a single dice. Alternatively, you may disallow him from utilising a re-roll. Moustache twirling optional.

Delaying Tactics

Before your opponent deploys, choose one of his units. That unit must be placed in reserve, but your opponent chooses what type of reserve e.g Deep Striking or Outflanking. Alternatively, choose a model/unit that your opponent is holding in reserve. That unit needs to roll 1 higher than usual on the Reserves table to enter play, I.e 5+ on Turn 2 as opposed to 4+. On Turn 5 that unit requires a 2+ to arrive, and will arrive automatically on Turn 6 (assuming there is one).

or

Unusual Force

You may take 1 unit in a Force Organisation slot it would not usually be allowed to occupy. For example, a Defiler as a Troops unit.

Vehicle Pool

You may take squadrons of vehicles that would usually be taken as separate entries. Squadrons consist of 1-3 vehicles of the same type, such as 3 Vindicators, or 2 Fire Prisms. May be combined with the Unusual Force option.

Counter Attack

As USR

3/10

Fearless

As USR

4/10

Fleet

As USR

5/10

Feel no Pain

As USR

5/15

Furious Charge

As USR

4/10

Hit and Run

As USR

3/10

Infiltrate

As USR

5/15

Move through Cover

As USR

3/-

Night Vision/Acute Senses

As USR

2/5

Preferred Enemy

As USR

5/15

Relentless

As USR

4/10

Scouts

As USR

5/15

Skilled Riders

As USR

2/-

Stealth

As USR

3/10

Stubborn

As USR

3/10

Tank Hunters

As USR

4/10

Weapon Master

+1 WS

3/10

Deadeye

+1 BS

3/10

Musclebound

+1 S

3/10

Tough as Old Boots

+1 T (Does not affect the models toughness for the purpose of Instant Death)

4/15

The Boromir Effect

+1 W

10/20

Speedy Gonzalez

+1 I

3/10

Bigger. :cussing. Sword.

+1 A

3/10

Big Damn Hero

+1 Ld (Cannot take Ld above 10)

2/5

Army Build upgrades may not be added to named characters.

The first points cost is for squad members, the second for characters. If taken for a squad, an upgrade must be purchased for every member.

Characteristic upgrades may only be taken once per model.

Models may have a maximum of 1 USR and 1 Characteristic upgrade purchased for them.

@Kierdale: My best Chaos model is my second all CCW Defiler

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0248.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0250.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0249_1.jpg

Dragonlover

I want you to greet Excessus, our Aspirant Moderati for Team Chaos. He earned this honor due to his many contributions to the Chaos community, good character and dedication to Chaos. Will he make a fine Daemon Prince someday? Well, we shall see, but until then I offer you this interview where he tells us many an interesting thing. Have fun!

How have you become a Chaos Lord?

Become? smile.png I was hooked from the start! It all began with a friend buying Codex: Space Wolves back in the early 90s sometime, I got hooked on the awesome models and images and started reading through the rulebook. Soon enough I found the old RT chaos stuff and the chaos rules in the rulebook. The freedom appealed to me, here were marines that I could come up with backstories for and model how i wanted, not the pre-ordained and boringly structured loyalist chapters...

...and then, 1996, one of the most awesome(if not the most awesome) Chaos codexes to date was released!biggrin.png

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

I started a bit before the codex release back in 2nd edition, so about 1995 I think it was.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

My first Legion was The Thousand Sons. Their tragic backstory and Ahriman's fluff just caught me, especially since I was studying a lot back then, so their philosophy about knowledge got me hooked. Though, because the Thousand Sons troops were a bit on the expensive side (I used librarian bodies with the old metal TS heads) to make and didn't preform very well on the tabletop, I had to find some allies for my librarians...and another legion caught my eye. This was a legion about teamwork and coordination, that didn't retreat after Terra like the other Legions but advanced further into the galactic east...Alpha Legion!

Nowadays my Thousand Sons are only a fantasy, I don't have the time to build anything there...though it's gone from http://i51.tinypic.com/2jdqf6d.jpg and https://s-media-cach...32ea0d9a6f5.jpg in the 90s tohttp://img89.imagesh...9/9503/wqos.jpg today...so it's some improvement over these 20 years...

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

I like the fact that wherever you go to play there are nice and friendly people there(at least here where I am, in my experience). It's a hobby with a large community both online and offline, and I've made many friends over the years because of 40k. Besides, the aesthetic side of it have always drawn me in. I like to model and paint! Model more than to paint though, which have the unfortunate result that i have a truckload of unpainted models at home...

What is your play style?

I used to play more of a gunline back in the day but went further and further towards an all out assault army in 6th ed...and now in 7th ed I'm trying a bit more for balance...especially since IA13 came out...what a wonderful book that completely changes playstyle options of CSM! Love it! I can also say that with the addition of the cultists again in the latest codex, I got back the guys I didn't know I was missing. I love my cultists, they are awesome anti-assault screens, cannon fodder, overwatch-eaters, objective cappers...sacrifical lambs, ready for the slaughterhouse! Sooo lovely!

It has to be back in 2nd ed when a hellhound tank exploded and removed half of mine and my enemy's armies from the board. Back then vehicles had datacards with all their info and options on them. There were also printed what happened when they got hurt...and since the hellhound tank was basically just a large prometheum tank on tracks, it had an impressive explosion...and the turret could fly away and land somewhere as well with devastating results. The battle between my heretic IG and my friend's "loyalist" (yeah, we all know how loyal they really are, hehe) DA had somehow ended up all around the tank when it got hit by a lucky shot. My friend had severely underestimated it's potential for exploding!

Do you collect and play any other armies?

I collect mainly CSM, with some forays into heretics&renegades and daemons to ally with. I also play my Alpha Legion in the heresy. My busy work schedule doesn't allow time for much else.

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Ahriman, definitely! Such a great character, such a tragic story. Love it!

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

Ooooh, must I choose? sad.png A list of favorite books from Black Library would include A Thousand Sons, Legion, Ahriman: Exile & Sorcerer (still waiting for the third book!), The Seventh Serpent...

Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

Remember to have fun! It's a hobby, it's supposed to be engaging and exciting. Also, don't do like me and start new projects all the time without having the time to finish them. You'll end up having your house full of sprues and unfinished models... tongue.png

A good read.

I'll pose my usual questions:

Can you show us your best Chaos model?

And what's your dream project?

My best chaos model is yet in my future! ;) Though the best I have done so far has to be my Lord on his jetbike.

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/9242/bm0o.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/7421/a2zz.jpg

I like him and try to use him as much as I can, fortunately a Chaos lord on a bike is far from useless, hehe. I just wish I had given him a mace or fist now...

And dream project?

Hmm...

Hmmmmmmm...

It has to be my Thousand Sons! I only have two painted so far, about 20 painted-ish (painted them very fast on the eve of a tournament) and a ton of ideas and bitz lying around. I imagine Ahriman, 2x9 rubrics, Tzeentch daemons, a mass of cultists and some impressive warmachines and dark mechanicus allies...

...but that's in the future though...

Well, about the TS, I'm probably going to give them a nice bath and "reimagine" them quite a bit first. I'm awaiting some...stuff...

I have ideas, and too little time on my hands...

How come this and Inspirational Friday got unstickied?

Dragonlover

This is part of a reorganization effort all across the board. Some forums are heavy in stickies, some are not, but in general terms the aim is to keep most of the forums sticky lite. Chaos had several of such topics but we elected that the cardinal ones are Resources (which acts as a general forum/Chaos article repository) and Feedback, ETL as the seasonal event gets the priority too as long as it is in course. 

Inspirational Friday and Interview are still here, they wont be removed and as a matter of fact I hope they will get improved soon. These two topics generate enough posts and hits to make them common in the first page and thus we chose to move them to topic template instead as a sticky. 

Good to see another fan of the sons of Prospero. I liked the line about them being truly betrayed.

I put to you my two usual questions:

I. Could you show us your best Chaos model?

II. What's your dream project?

I have always been impressed with your writing, both fictional stories and how you support your point of view in discussions. I think a fair judging of the Inspirational Friday challenges would have your own submissions winning quite frequently. I'm curious as to what you consider your better writing, do you have a favorate story that you can repost or link?

apocalyptic webcomic.. is that 'gone with the blast wave' ? if not that pic has the same art style. Also if not,. then check it out its dam funny.

A curious and fun style of comic. You color me intrigued. I have to read it now :)

Good to see another fan of the sons of Prospero. I liked the line about them being truly betrayed.

I put to you my two usual questions:

I. Could you show us your best Chaos model?

II. What's your dream project?

1. Working on that. My best Chaos model was sold past year when I have traded most of my old models. I have decided to completely shift the color scheme and the assembly, being one of my first armies, was... well amateurish.

2. A Horus Heresy Thousand Sons army with a good crossover with 40k. Namely due to the particularity of the Thousand Sons those marines which are warriors in flesh and blood in 30k are now automatons in 40k and as I recall they did neither change the aesthetics of their armor nor their battlefield role. I think that both ranges in the case of the Thousand Sons are complementary and in line with the lore.

Another project that I have and I am considering, is to actually make Chaos Blood Ravens which as we know are now aligned with the Alpha Legion and the Black Legion and many of them managed to escape the Aurelian Crusade unscathed when Lord Kyras fell.

I have always been impressed with your writing, both fictional stories and how you support your point of view in discussions. I think a fair judging of the Inspirational Friday challenges would have your own submissions winning quite frequently. I'm curious as to what you consider your better writing, do you have a favorate story that you can repost or link?

Thank you for your praise Carrack. I too have to return the compliment for your writing is improving every day and your warband story is becoming a very interesting narrative and I really like to read every snipped of it.

As per personal favorites I have no particular piece to relate to since I am cursed by being a perfectionist and though some are better and some are not I credit most of my posts and fanfiction solid, not exceptional, but solid, and as you have noted as am I learning more and more English and reading more Black Library books I am trying new flourishes and twists, phrases and motifs in lieu of experimentation.

A post I liked a lot was the following:

Tanor the White

How large are your forces of Chaos now, and naturally, can we have a group photo? smile.png

My Excel spreadsheet says 5569 point without upgrades. This models are unpainted and still on sprues. These kits are part of my "new" Chaos army which is in truth a collection of all things Chaos. I have searched the net for old kits like Azazel and the Skull Champion of Khorne, I am still missing a few models but the core kits are in my possession. I play with what remains of my old Chaos army and I am ashamed of putting it on the net for the base squad alone has three basecoats of paint and who knows how many layers. They are uniform but that is all. Nowhere near the level of my current paint projects.

You will see though my pile of shame. ... tomorrow,... I have to grab the good camera.

I'd really like to see some painted Thousand Sons you've done.

I had done several, sold them all and the ones I use are in the gameclub I play as part of my "donation". They are considered one of the club armies but when I can I will post some photos.

I am eagerly waiting for more news about Tzeentch Daemonkin to see the alternative color schemes for a Tzeentch army. Maybe it is time to break some canon and do something different.

Greetings and welcome to another Interview with a Chaos Lord. This week I present you the dread Chaos Lord Carrack, master of the Black Maw warband, a host of the Black Legion and resident writer of Inspirational Friday. May your reign be long and full of dread glory, Lord Carrack, we salute thee.

How have you become a Chaos Lord?

Well first off, Chaos Lord seems like a bit of a stretch. I haven't played that many games, and none over 750 points with my own painted models. Maybe Aspiring Chaos Lord would be more apt. Semantics aside, I was on the periphery of Chaos for many years. I played first edition Talisman and Bloodbowl back when they first came out, and have been an avid role player for 32 years, and have seen games take place at local game shops.

This started to change when I picked up the Eisenhorn Onnibus in 2005 based solely on the cover art. I loved it, especially the grim dark tone. I quickly read it and all of the other titles that my local bookstore carried. My job at the time allowed for ample perusal of the Internet, so I would pass away my working hours reading battle reports, tactics and such trying to find an army for me. I even purchased the famed 3.5 codex and the Imperial Guard codex. Foolishly I went with the guard, but did not have the skill, time, or patience to paint an army. I kept up with the books, and read everything I could get my hands on, even turning some friends on to both the books and a few even started building armies after reading them.

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

About a year ago, I started playing some games with a friend's army, he gave me the choice of using his DIY loyalist or his Chaos Marines, I chose Chaos. Soon after that I was fumbling through painting my own models, and even though my painting skills were initially atrocious, I was enjoying painting and have kept it up.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

The Black Legion. They are the quintessential Chaos Marines. They have the most options in making an army that follows the established fluff. Their paint scheme isn't overly complicated, but still looks good. They are also the biggest threat to the Imperium, from Chaos, and I wanted something a little more grand than a rag tag Warband struggling to survive.

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

I like all aspects. Painting is almost therapeutic for me in allowing me to take an hour or two and focus on something other than the stresses of life. I'm a happier person when I get to paint. It is also the aspect of the hobby I am seeing the most improvement with. That being said, prior to a year ago, I hadn't painted anything in my life save a few disparaging remarks about a commanding officer I once had in the Army smile.png

Gaming can be the most enjoyable part of the hobby, and after spending hours on models, a good game is like a reward for your efforts. This is the hardest part of the hobby for me to enjoy right now however, I have a three year old and a 4 week old, as well as all the trappings of suburban life. It's hard enough for me to schedule in a couple hours of game time, but then having to coordinate that time with someone else takes a Herculean effort. My time will eventually free up to allow more gaming, but in the meantime, I marshal my forces and plot for my next Black Crusade.

My most favorite aspect though is the lore. I enjoy reading BL books as well as the quality fan fiction found on this forum. I also love to create my own background and stories. With the time I invest in the models, I feel like their character should be developed a little too. Likewise, the games I play are more enjoyable if there is a narrative to the battle.

What is your play style?

I play on two tables, both of which are dense with LOS blocking terrain, multiple stories with limited access, gantries, and alleys. Our house rules are that we only place objectives in sensible locations rather than randomly, and that full Astartes (not cultist or scouts) can climb up or down in predetermined locations, because of their superhuman attributes. This makes movement a key phase, makes assaulting more viable, and places a great deal of importance on getting a good position for shooting units. I have lost a game because I allowed a lascannon combat squad to get in an almost unassailable position.

My play style would be to go for the objectives with my troops, and use my terminator hq and their retinues to take the initiative and try to make my opponent react to their moves, rather than my troops. My helbrute stays on the ground and tries to get the enemy anti tank units to expose themselves, all the while flaming troops and melting what he can.

I've added a jump pack brand lord since I've last played, and my first ETL Vow of 3 terminators and 2 oblits is done. I think this will give me a somewhat unique Chaos list of lots of 2+ infantry, I'll just have to be careful of loyalist with grav. smile.png Of course I need to get more games in.

1. My first victory with my own army. 2. Every model I paint seems to be better than my last, which gives me some pride, even if they aren't yet up to the standards of the some of the artist on this forum. The models are looking better and better.
3. Some of my post here on the B&C. I got a kick out of how many people wrote bad poetry about their hatred of the lowly cultist, after my own bad poem smile.png I've managed to win the Inspirational Friday challenge a few times, and I don't think I have missed a week since I submitted my first entry. I have also used these challenges to flesh out my Warband, and every submission so far has done so.

Do you collect and play any other armies?

Not at the moment. Long term though, I would like to add some renegades from IA 13. I think they would play differently enough from my existing force to change things up, yet I could still ally with them and not have to leave half of my models in the case. My dream project would be to get a Battlefleet Gothic group going.

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

From the novels I would have to say Zho Sahaal. He was the first Chaos Marine that I read about that was given any depth, and when you here Talos cut down his self importance in the Night Lords Trilogy, I think it adds to his character because you see how delusional he was. Of my own characters its a toss up between these two.

_CSM Paimun - ​Paimun is secretly an agent of the God Emperor of Mankind. He has been tasked with covertly infiltrating the Black Legion and rising up its ranks until he can wrest control of the legion and lead it back to the light of righteousness and purity. Paimun knows he is a secret agent of the God Emperor because the free willed intelligent cyst mutating on his spleen told him so.

-Aspiring Champion Vinno - During the Siege of Terra 10,000 years ago, Vinno was stationed aboard the Battle Barge Vengeful Spirit. His squad was held in reserve till a certain objective was secured and then sent to earth via drop pod. Unfortunately a grazing shot from an AA battery sent his pod wildly off course and caused a crash landing in the numerological data sinks of Western Anatolia. Vinno, the pod’s only survivor, enraged by his misfortune slaughtered as many numerologists as he could. Such was the atrocity that to this day the workers of these data sinks are forbidden from counting, recording, or otherwise using Vinno’s designated squad number which was painted across his chest plate and pauldron. This taboo has, over the millennia, has lead to more deaths than Vinno’s initial mass killing. If Vinno was to find out about this he would at first be pleased, but then would be enraged at the reminder of his misfortune.

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

I like so many, I guess it's a toss up between Eisenhorn and the Soul Hunter Omnibus as far as novels go. Those are excellent books and are among the most reread on my shelf, but I also like Black Library's books like the dreaded Liber Chaotica, Sabat Worlds Crusade, and Tactica Imperialis. Those collections of stories, reports, letters, and such epitomize the non standard narrative that 40k does so well. Not to mention the artwork.

Any advice for your fellow players, any parting words of wisdom?

This is a great Forum. Experience it all. Learn from other Chaos Lords here, but pay attention to the enemy as well. There is some great constructive criticism in the Liber, as well as entertaining DIY organizations. Amicus usually has some light hearted humor to give you a few chuckles. The forge sites are useful tools to develop your skills. Experience the whole forum, it has a lot to offer. But most importantly experience the community. You can get tactical advice from a Russian, painting advice from a Londoner, understanding of the Lore from someone from Trieste, and so much more. This forum is the best.

Recently one of my sisters-in-law, who hasn't even seen Star Wars she is so uninterested sci-fi, saw some of my minis on my painting bar. She said, "Ah cool, what's with all the skulls and spikes?" I said, "They're more METAL that way." I think she understood.

Archived