Cloaks, Banners, and Fur ... Oh my!

Argyle

**Edit: Credit to rgr_maddog for pm'ing me a simple but brilliant solution to free up an extra hand. I truly feel stupid for not thinking of it...but use a candleinstead of a lighter!!**

Well I've been asked by enough people about how I do my fur cloaks that I decided a tutorial might be of use! First time doing one, so be gentle.

I'm going to go over what you will need and how you will make such things as banners, simple cloaks, or fur pelts with a litttle bit of plastic card stock, a lighter and some greenstuff.

Step 1: Supplies. You will need - 1mm card stock

- sharp scissors

- hobby knife

- green stuff

- model to be worked on

- small plastic (or brass) rod (for banners only)

- a pen (pencil is just fine!)

- a lighter (or be smart and use a candle!)

gallery_31762_10576_22071.jpg

Step 2: Draw out your shapes.

gallery_31762_10576_71421.jpg

Step 3: Cut out your shapes.

gallery_31762_10576_55952.jpg

Step 4: Dig out your lighter. If this is for a banner grab your piece of plastic rod. If it is for a cloak or pelt, get the model you plan to attach it to.

gallery_31762_10576_12523.jpg

Step 5: Line up your shape as shown.

Banner:

gallery_31762_10576_39102.jpg

Cloak :

gallery_31762_10576_15941.jpg

Step 6: Holding your lighter approx. 1 to 1.5 inches beneath the plastic stock, heat the plastic until you see it visibly soften. The plastic will sag and

flutter from the updraft of the lighter. Then quickly put them in place. You only have a few seconds of work time. You will need to do one side

of the pelt at a time much like with the banner you will need to do one loop at a time.

gallery_31762_10576_13867.jpg

gallery_31762_10576_38622.jpg

Step 7: Now that you have them in position begin heating the banner or pelt from beneath to soften it again. You will need to do this several times as

you experiement on getting the shape/flow you desire. If you mess up its not a big deal, just reheat again and adjust the position. I find it

helps to hold the plastic so that the direction I want it to flow is toward the floor. Then gravity will do a lot of the work for me. Be very careful

not to overheat the plastic at this stage. If you begin to see smoke or the plastic begins to blacken it will stick to your fingers and burn quite

bad. 3-5 seconds of heat is all it takes.

gallery_31762_10576_6524.jpg

gallery_31762_10576_20220.jpg

gallery_31762_10576_22649.jpg

**If your project was a banner or a cloak, you are finished at this point! Continue on for how to apply fur.**

Step 8: So you want fur! Well roll up a healthy size ball of green stuff and apply to your cloak/pelt. Have a bit of petroleum jelly or other lube on hand.

Be sure to get the green stuff spread out using your thumbs to cover the full surface of the plastic card. Do this before applying any lube to

your fingers!! This is important. It makes spreading it out more difficult but if you lube up to soon and get it on the card stock, the greenstuff

will not stick. Once spread out, apply a small amount of lube to thumbs and smooth the surface.

gallery_31762_10576_46779.jpg

Step 9: Take your hobby knife and make a million downward cuts. Start at the bottom and go across in rows. Each cut should be 1-2 mm and pulled

downward when making it. Do it very quickly as it does not need to be precise whatsoever. You will end with a layered look but an unfinished

look.

gallery_31762_10576_11858.jpg

gallery_31762_10576_168838.jpg

Step 10: Take your small snips now and starting again at the bottom, working in rows from one side to the other stab into the greenstuff slightly. You

want your snips open approx 2mm and push them in about 1mm. Now close them while simultaneously pulling downward. This will create the

tuft appearance and again does not need to be incredibly precise. I strongly recommend you roll out a piece of the blue part of green stuff

by itself. Experiement on your downward pulling cut with this unmixed greenstuff until you are confident.

gallery_31762_10576_62661.jpg

gallery_31762_10576_196545.jpg

Well thats that! Hope you enjoy and find it useful. Thanks for reading =).

Cool dude! My question is, how does it look once its painted? Is the material smooth like plastic or a bit riveted like paper?

Quite smooth like plastic. I mean...it is plastic =).

Heres the underside of a wolf cloak I did a while back.

gallery_31762_5407_117615.jpg

Here is the greenstuffed side.

gallery_31762_5407_1643.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived