Deet's Alpha Legion

Deet

Thanks, guys. 

The weathering really hasn't been started yet on this 'Fiend, so I'll assume you mean washes, etc. 

On the blue, it's Vallejo Medium Blue, Light Turquoise, Blue Green, then washed with Secret Weapon Algae and a little bit of Nuln Oil if I wanted more contrast in places. 

For the metal, it's all GW: Leadbelcher, Ironbreaker, Nuln Oil, Ironbreaker, Runefang. The bright metal on the pistons is Vallejo alcohol metallics Silver. 

If you're actually looking back to my troops, that's all weathering powders (mixed brands), mostly mixed in with water to make em muddy and slopped on. The dusty stuff higher up is Tamyia Weathering Master. For rust, I use Modelmates. Brilliant stuff I did a review on here. It really kicked some butt on my Aegis. Can't recommend it enough.

powders I do two ways.

1. Dust them on with a soft brush and then spray your matte varnish to seal (for a dustier look), or brush with water for a muddier look. for best results, use several slightly different colors to get some natural variation in colors. 

2. mix up some mud by mixing powders, a little sand, some water effect (several brands out there, but I use Secret Weapon), and a little water to get a muddy consistency. Spread it around your base, brush a little on your model's feet and lower legs, and ideally use your model's feet to make some footprints in the mud before it dries. 

Tamiya Weathering powders you can see in the link above. That's really the best way to get soft dry dust, in my experience so far. 

Modelmates Rust is pretty easy to use. You just brush it on. What I've found works great is starting with it straight out of the bottle- It's a little thick, but gives you dark rust colors. You can sponge it for nice chipping, etc. What's cool about this stuff though is that if you mix in a little water, for some reason it dries a lot more orange. You can use that to get a really natural variation in tone, water streaks, etc. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My Alphas have taken a back seat for a while as I start out a Lizardmen army. Been sitting on 20+ infantry all base coated for the better part of a year now. One squad has moved farther along, but I'm slow. Feeling the need to actually finish something now, so this Lord is on fast forward. 

AlphaLordWIP1.jpg

AlphaLordWIP2.jpg

Archived