Unsure if this should sit in the main WIP forum or under AM - though I'm sure the comissariat will correct me as needed huh.png

So I started thinking of this force way back when but fell out of 40k long before it had a chance to come to fruition. Now returing to the ranks after seeing so much awesomeness out of forgeworld and other 3rd party sites I'm finally giving it a shot.

There's a a few tid-bits of fluff on the Finreht highlanders in the Codex: Eye of Terror books and from some old white dwarfs but props to CommissarHarris for inspiring me to expand my horizons into the world of 3rd party suppliers.

My aim is to build a veteran light-infantry force, backed up by light vehicles (taurox, tauros, sentinels etc) and some big(ish) guns to represent what the people of Finreht 3-7 may have been able to cobble together in defense of their homeworld when Typhus and his boys showed up to lay waste to the Agripinaa Sector in the 13th Black Crusade.

I'll be using a mix of GW, FW, Vicotria Minis, and Warlord Games parts to build a pict/celt inspired feral-world guard force - complete with torcs, woad, war horns - maybe even a pack of hounds for the Catabar (Chief in battle ~ old irish).

The Tauros remind me of the WMIKs used by 2 para in Sierra Leone, though a lot sexier than the kit we had to make do with in the grim dark second milenium, and the 451st fought in the defense of the cadian gate - couldn't not pick them after my own time with the 51st highland division, (STABs the lot of us msn-wink.gif ) where we spent our days off hoofing around the highlands with gympies scaring the local wildlife.

So that's the fluff - here's the first few pics - assembly starts now in earnest so I hope to have more to share over the next week while I wait on some new resin bases from secret weapon that capture the boggy hell that is the true path of all highland infantry.

Finreht Trooper 2

Finreht Trooper 1

CarraigF, o7

This is the right place, anything and everything Guard should be here smile.png Looks like a great start to me, great mix of good bits so your troopers are going to turn out very well! I eagerly await your models getting painted, though you can temporarily delay my pestering with offerings of Irn Bru msn-wink.gif

Awesome, another highlander army! Looking forward to seeing how you fare (and stealing some ideas a plenty!)

Hope you've got your pot of tartan paint at the ready!

I've started putting together a counts-as-krieg force using Vicy's minis, but after a few squads I'm running out of ways to vary them. I like the idea of using the historicals - I looked at their Jacobite range, but hadn't considered the ancient celts - I'm going to have to give that a go.

Cheers fish, sure I have some girders I can boil up round here somewhere.

Cyder - there's a whole host of sprues I looked at but I think the warlord hail ceasar range matched best for style and scale. Gripping beast and wargames factory also do some mean looking Vikings in plastic. The celts warband box has 30 figures, 40 heads, also lots of spears shields etc and goes for about £20. They also do individual sprues so you can give it a bash for £7 or so.

Just so you know, I prefer girders from docks - it's the sea air that gives a special flavour :P We have plenty of Victoria's models being used now so I'm going to have to grab some once I've earned it by clearing my project backlog - until then I will live out my dreams through others ;) Have you given any more thought to colour schemes?

Brown kilts with grey and black for the stripes so fairly neutral,based on a pals kilt though later found out its called Wallace braveheart after it was used in the movie. That almost put me off but it's a good earthy scheme and will really make the blue woade tattoos and limed hair pop. Then either burnt orange or elysian green for armour and weapons in bronze and gunmetal with wooden stocks...oh and pasty flesh for the midges to lock onto :)

Tartans

So heres my latest pass at tartans - was struggling to get a good result on the brown grey black as the blends for the intersects invariably went purple-yucky-cat-vomit-taupe :)

To save having to test and strip yet more minis thought i'd try a bit of colour theory in practice using hex based colours from dakkadakka compatability chart - appreciate these don't fully reflect how the paint will look real world but i've done some test mixes and am happy with the pallete - now just need to decide which scheme (schemes) to use going forward.

Opted instead for a tricolour of Brown green and blue - GW mournfang brown, P3 Ordic Olive and P3 Royal Blue - which will contrast nicely with the inevitable ginger hair-do's (squig orange).

The fluff fairies advise that regiments draw strength from different tribes - so may end up using 3 or 4 of these - 1 per squad/platoon - to help sort them out in the case and on the table.

This also gives a base for the woade tatoos - again royal blue though will lighten with whit/blue mix for highlights.

What do you folks think - C&C always welcome,

Carraig o7

Yeah it'll take a bit of time, hence a vet heavy force rather than platoon spam. Still expect to be doing at least 100 of these as I reach 2000 pts.
Cheers for the advice Mehman, any pics of your tatted force to share?

I deviated from plan last night and gave some love to my steelheads as I've a game Thursday night, but think I've settled on brown 2 for the pattern...now to start getting it on some models biggrin.png

Tartan swatch

That tartan colour looks great! Proper camouflage colours, too!

On the topic of tattooed Guardsmen: I don't have them anymore- well, in their original state. Someone decided to strip them of paint unsure.png! I'll see what I can do about whipping-up a new one just to show off the colours.

So first half squad clean and assembled, base coat tomorrow then get cracking on the paint job, these guys have Cadian torsos and Las, eventually they fall back into a regular platoon and I'll replace them with plaid torsos and extra gear.

1st Squad started

On its way 'fish, should have them table ready by Friday then onto the lasgun troops for the second squad, delaying start on the Sgts and specials as a reward for getting the line troops finished. Even booked a couple hours off Friday so I can catch some decent natural light lol

Thanks Mehman, but don't trouble on my account i've some elves kicking about and can give it a bash on will post pics to show how I get on.

Tartan wise i'm thinking its a bit dark so may experiment with a dab of orange with the brown to brighten it up.

Cheers for the feedback and encouragement though folks, helps me keep on track.

• 2 weeks later...

So its been a while - 11 days since my last update - had to travel for work for a week and had family visiting so only had two more sessions on these guys since then but happy with progress so far - gun metal is the next to go on and i'll have finished my first pass on these guys. Once that's done i'll be cracking open the tartan paint - i've had a few goes but still struggling to get the verticals to follow the flow of the fabric so have scraped back and re-based with brown on trooper 3 a couple of times.

Then it'll be onto tidy up - highlight - tattoos and wash,

For the tatoos i'm going to forgo the freehand approach at least partway and try printing out some decals - found some good reference material on megalithic.co.uk including lots of animal carvings from local pictish stones found in my area - one was an eagle so i've editied it to make my very own Finreht Aquila - figure copyright has to lapse after ~1400 years right :)

Anyhoo here's the pics of the troops:

1st 1/2 Squad - progress so far

Trooper 1

Trooper 2

Trooper 3

Trooper 4

Trooper 5

And some of the symbols i may use for tatts - the aquila is a must - may even print on card stock and make my own embossed plates for the vehicles:

Pictish Symbols

Finreht Pictish Aquila

What nice skin! Surely, you must give us your recipe happy.png!

Hey Mehman,

Sorry for delay in reply - i always spray in chaos black then top spray in either grey or brown to give a highlighted undercoat to work from.

For these guys i used Mournfang brown undercoat, then watered mournfang brown from the pot to smooth it out , next is P3's midlund flesh, followed by a 50/50 mix of midlund and citadel elf flesh.

Once i've finished the model i'll wash with P3 brown wash, it's nice and matte and waters well, followed by a final highlight of the 50/50 and a few fine lines of elf flesh watered again just for the chin, brow, cheeks and nose.

Glad you like it :)

Ohhh Tartan paint, does that come after Agrax Earthshade on the Citadel paint range? I'll ask for some tomorrow at my local hobby store.

Anyway your boys are looking good, the "drabness" suits the models very well indeed. Look forward to seeing more.

Always order tartan paint online baz, if you buy in store you always end up with a long weight...

They look nice and gritty which is appropriate, let us know how the transfers goes as I've always wanted to give it a go but get unstuck with transparency. Have you thought about the basing scheme yet?

Archived