Hey fish,

Yeah I'm using secret weapons blasted wetlands bases - they have an excellent tutorial on how to get the most out of their bases and scenery kits and i'll be pretty much ripping it straight from the vid.

One of the worst things to face as a highland infantryman is a march bare hillsides filled with tussocks of wild grass- the grasses clump into ankle breaking lumps that make you fight for balance every step of the way - we used to call them 'babies heads' - they're about the same size and you really don't want to step on them - so expect lots of tufts where there isn't mud & water.

Nothing like a good march to break some ankles!

Your Guardsmen are looking great. Really. The skin, the browns, and then that green armour go very well together. I know I wouldn't want a chance encounter with any of them laugh.png! Those bases sound excellent, as well. Where else but the battlefield to find the best mud?

Also, that skin recipe might be shaken-up and used on something in the future. Wouldn't be an outright steal, but pretty close! Keep up the good work thumbsup.gif!

Going with Ailithir Ben Jarus at the moment :) - the Jarus clan are the only one's named in the fluff of Codex eye of terror.

Working on backstory but so far he's a noble born offworlder albeit with Finreht lineage, a descendant from a staff officer of the 122nd Finreht Highlanders Rgt.

The 122nd participated in the Pacification of Sigma Agrius, gaining governership of the Agri-planet Sigma Agrius. The campaign against the rebeling abhuman ratling population initially stalled as the rebels adopted brutal guerilla tactics, puttoing there long las' to good effect. Colonel serat countered by adopting the use of heavy artillery into his mountain light infantry regiment, and the rebellion was finally crushed after rolling barrages of heavy mortars and quad guns boxed in the ratlings forcing a pitchefd battle with the infantry of the 122nd.

This gives me a good excuse to include both heavy artillery and ratlings in the 451st, the guns as a valuable lesson learned in comined arms during the campaign, the ratlings as a body-guard/detachment selected from the now loyal population by the Cattabar on his appointment to the regiment.

The backstory about A B Jarus (that's definitely getting initials treatment laugh.png) being an off-worlder could really be interesting. Does the Regiment just accept him and move on or is there some constant tension until he's proven himself in their eyes? That always makes for a good read depending on how you twist it.

Really good ideas on your regiment so far. Keep it up thumbsup.gif!

Fair call Mehman - AB Jarus it is! biggrin.png

So I finally did it - after some 11 separate attempts and multiple repaints i've settled on a technique for the tartan.

Almost feels like there should be some kind of drum roll here.....

Trooper 5 - Tartan

Needs a cleanup but I wouldn't be too embarrassed to put him down on the table - only 24 more to go to get the first 500 pts done - they'll be staying on plain brown slotta till I get my SW ones in - delivery delayed by two weeks so far. sad.png

Now that I've got a technique I'm happy with i'll work on the rest of the half squad then go into factory mode for the next two squads. Once each is complete I'll be rewarding myself with their associated transports - 2 Taurox and a wheeled Chimera - fingers crossed on the AC cannon from FW on the old birthday list laugh.png

Woot 4 more kilts done, got it down to about 10 mins per mini including touch ups smile.png

Cheers Mehman smile.png A corps of drums is actually on my to do list to accompany the piper and regimental standard though in game terms may simply lob them in a blob of conscripts to inspire the rabble.

There's just too many options with the empire sprues to ignore and some fanatics backed by priests to throw off the archenemy are definitely going to be in block 4.

But as I'm stillworking on block 1, 4 weeks in, probably getting ahead of myself lol.

Anyhoo here's the pic:

Kilts wa hae

I had to confiscate the drums as people couldn't resist banging them. Disrupted sleep patterns and worst of all nobody has any rhythm! :P Looks to me that you've got it all down now so hopefully progress will be quick. Keep up the great work! :D

Haha very true,though scultping so many necks is a bit of a time constraint.

Happy with the way these turned out but may demote the col to platoon Cmdr in the next block and replace with a more dynamic conversion.

The sporrans are huge but will paint them up to match the war brocks, giant badgers in space, game on!

So a productive weekend - finished off clean and build of the remaining 17 troops - those with Plaids are Veterans, those with Cadian torso's will stand in for vets for now but will be busted down to my Platoon squads as I move onto block 2.

Few pics below - first of the new muster sprayed then a few close ups - sculpted a bed roll onto the plaid torso's to cover up the removed rebreather tanks - my GS skills are very rusty but happy with how these turned out for now - may snap off and redo later.

Base coat with top-down spray of brown

Flesh base layers done and moving onto the kilts

Taking the plunge on doing the kilts after the base flesh layer - want to get it done before they hit the table a week on Thursday.

Horizontal catachan stripe - trooper

Horizontal catachan stripe -Vet

Back view with GS bedroll

Planning on a step by step how-to and the tartan - but will wait till i get it nailed on the vets and focus on the Catabar Col - lovely mini from Vic Minis - hope I can do it justice.. :)

Cheers folks - another 10 kilts finished but then got distracted by birthday goodies - more pics to follow but spent the last evening putting together the slightly fiddly wheeled conversion kits for my 2 Taurox:

Taurox - Wheeled Chassis Side

Taurox - Wheeled Chassis Front

Taurox - Wheeled Chassis Suspension

Will finish the build on these tomorrow then only 1 more squad to go and I can get cracking on painting the transports,

Carraig

I love those track things they have! You can't put them on wheels! No! I joke. We all like what we like happy.png.

Seriously, the wheels do look rather nice. That suspension (or lift or whatever- not an auto guy) looks fantastic, as well.

I assume you'll be camouflaging it up? When you do, make sure you apply liberal amounts of mud. The more the better!

Why GW didn't produce the Taurox with wheels in the first place is beyond me . . . it looks so much better with those conversion kits!  Looking forward to seeing your unique iconography on those trucks!

Yes Commissaar, just as soon as I decide on a colour scheme... thinking mournfang brown but worried that might be a bit dull, or I could do in green to match the infantry armour. .

Archived