20150419 194729

Taurox based dry fit side

Base coat and dry fit, decided to go with mournfang and will add in a green/blue panel for the 451st army badge to tie in with the kilts.

Should have more infantry pics tomorrow, only to more kilts to go :)

Cheers folks - was worried it'd be too dull but then never did see a WMIK that anyone bothered to cam up - may add some scrim draped over the back for breaking up the brown but what i'm really excited about is painting the interior and adding in my 'sitting down' kilt legs. - would tartan seat cussions be too much..? biggrin.png

Anyways progressing with 2nd squad before i'm allowed to start on those trucks in earnest - I moved floors recently so now have a nice naturally lit area in which to paint during lunch - game on! Here's where i got to with my 45 minutes today:

2nd Squad II

2nd Squad

• 2 months later...
So its 10 weeks since I last made a report on my 451st, and while I haven't been wholly idle I haven't exactly been productive either.

I broke faith with my 'buy 500' 'paint 500' plan when I found some Venators on eBay for a steal. ..They turned out to be recasts and it took weeks of wrangling to get a refund through without returning the models to seller. Massive thanks to Simon at FW and Ally at GW legal for the support.

Add to that delays of 8 weeks on the replacement conversion kit on my Cmd Chimera (first was a hellish miscast), and 7 weeks on the bases from secret weapon (freak snowstorms in April/May) really took the wind out of the project.

But now back from leave and back on duty and I've just had a productive day - finished the main build on the tank, lots of filling involved in getting that Chapter house kit to fit, but happy with how she's looking:

Cmd Chimera WIP

Cmd Chimera WIP 2

Also got my 30 bases done:

Bases

Base models eye

Base birds eye

Cheers gents, my aim tonight is to finish cleaning up the hull then on to camo scheme - looked at lots of online tools and found this at www.happyponyland.net/camogen.php which I think looks pretty good.

Using the same Mournfang Brown, Catachan Green and Kantor Blue with a 3,1,1 mix gives me the below, personally liking the 'Green Blots' version so far but may end up using the more polygon 'Desert 2' option as it's more advanced - may suit the trucks better:

Desert 2

Green Blots

Yeah thinking I might try sponging it over the brown base - bit uncertain about using the blue - tried it on the bases using a blue wash on the brown/green and it worked well but may be it's not such a good idea for cam.

Any good tutorials on sponging out there - know it should be simple but want to avoid having to strip and restart by getting it right first time.

Me too man but second night of heavy rain seems to be the order of the day so may have to wait a bit longer on it. Instead going to switch focus back to the infantry for tonight.

I get your pain on that one; very humid environment where I live, so spray priming is pretty much out the window 85% of the time. My workaround has been to use bottled Vallejo Primer (I like Black, but Grey works great too) and brush on by hand. With a really big brush, of course. I find I get surprisingly consistent results and it really doesn't take much longer than having to shake the can(s), setup a spray trap, and wait for the primer to cure. Believe it or not, brushing on your primer makes it cure 10x faster! It's cheaper too, at maybe 6-8 bucks for a big bottle, which has primed 2/3 of my AdMech army already. Just a thought! happy.png

Thanks for the tip Vel' just found it online with a UK stockist for £10 so may well give that a shot, certainly looks like it'll work out cheaper than GW spray at £12 a can

So the weather was clear - woot! Managed to get my Cmd Chimera sprayed after finishing the build last night - also half built the first of my 2 taurox - left a side panel and rear section free so I can paint the interior.

Still need to decide on what to do with the crew - I've some sitting down kilt legs from Vic Minis but they're quite a bit wider than the ones on the sprue so may end up just giving these boys some tartan trews instead.

Cmd Chimera

Taurox

Overall still not happy with the Chimera - it was a real struggle to fit the Chapterhouse parts on to the frame and I'm not very happy with the end result - may just keep it for now then buy a new hull and run it with tracks - that or opt for another taurox, and add in another melta and a vox.

Main thing is i'm just about table ready and it's only taken since march lol - hopefully the next 500pts will go a little smoother :)

Hey folks, drybrush-tastic but here's some WIPs on the first Taurox - really happy with the crew - but lots of GS to come to tidy them up - not that you'll be able to see much f them but if there's an interior i'm gonna paint it lol.

Thinking I'm going to paint in the metal, some warpaint/unit markings then decide on whether to cam or not,

WIP Taurox Crew

Taurox WIP

Taurox Interior WIP

So spent some time painting at my local club last night and got some really great feedback on my Finreht - had some group shots but lighting was poor so here's a wee peak at a trooper painted and based - now just to add brass etch eagle onto the shoulder and some tat's using the inkjet decal's I've worked up.

C&C welcome as always:

Trooper 3 based front

Trooper 3 based rear

Carraig, o7

Archived