Codex: Khorne, next week?

Sception

please take this as word of mouth and not even a rumor as it has no credible source what so ever 

strange thing is,

I was shopping with the family on Saturday and popped into my local games workshop, I was talking to the store owner and I was saying I'm hoping for some new chaos things, he then told me that they were getting khorne bezerkers on juggernauts in the next few weeks. tho I was like a giddy teen at the time I completely disregarded it by the time I had got home as him pulling my leg. upon reading this today the dream is being dangeld infront of me again :(  

I hope so.  I wonder if it will change unit profiles and point costs at all.  Mostly for CSM units that are overcosted when compared to their non-chaos brethren.  Looking at you Khorne Berzerkers.

Very exciting though!  I am looking forward to what the "large format cards" will have.  Pseudo-psychic powers?  Rage points??

Open topped rhino???

I doubt that there will be any changes to a unit profile but maybe we will be given some options to make this army playable. Now first thing first this will be a "fluffy" supplement much like Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter, I think we should not expect a rise in the competitiveness of both Daemons and CSM due to this book. 

The salient will be the Bloodthirster rules so that is a thing that I expect, the rest is mere background IMO. Open-topped Rhinos, viable assault or better berzerkers? Nah, not by a long shot. Fluffy maybe, competitive no, I doubt it. 

That is a valid question but non needed at the moment. The thing is, a rumored new supplement, this is good news, great news. If it helps with our assault elements all the better, if it gives us new background, new lore, then it is golden, if it is actually competitive, then defies belief. 

Why Khorne, well needless to discuss it now. GW is riding the End Times wave and needs to make the Bloodthirster model viable for 40k, hence the supplement. If we will see someday Slaanesh, Tzeentch and yikes, Nurgle, well it would be an interesting time to be Chaos, until then lets enjoy this release. 

My opinion is that we will get some formations, perhaps a way to deep strike daemons more precisely or who knows, to attack from the deep strike... everything else is a bit improbable since the basic rules will (probably) not be changed. 

Why is it khornes the one who almost seems to get more love from gw than the other god

Easiest to make models for, easiest to make rules for, currently most powerful god in the background, lots of people have khorne armies.

everything else is a bit improbable since the basic rules will (probably) not be changed. 

This is the kicker. It's improbable, but mandatory almost, unless they give the army and formation insane rules. Even that wont be enough, see Codex: Harlequins. As for now, there is no functioning Khorne unit in the CSM codex lol. In the Daemon codex only Heralds and Hounds. So yeah I'm scared. But hey, chances are we get nice artwork at least!

I hope that the extra hit on every 6 "to hit" will be passed as the army wide rule. That would benefit other units in our books too. As for the rules, well I think we should think more "Karn's Butcherhorde" and less "Necron Decurion". 

I hope that the extra hit on every 6 "to hit" will be passed as the army wide rule. That would benefit other units in our books too. As for the rules, well I think we should think more "Karn's Butcherhorde" and less "Necron Decurion".

I do agree however IMO for tzernch and burgle they should get bonuses more like the reclamation legion for example burgle could be models within this detachment re roll rolls of 1 for fnp if they don't have fnp they gain it units within 12" of the warlord get +1 to their fnp.

The Blood for the Blood God cards will be definitive to how successful the book is.

I'm hoping for a defensive bonus, maybe a run and charge bonus, different Assault re rolls and/or exploding 6's.

Anyone think that Skarr Bloodwrath may pop up?

Marked/Daemon of Khorne Helbrute?

Some kind of non psycher summoning?

although almost sure the book will contain a maximum of 6 pages of rules (1 special & warlord, 1 artifacts, 4 formations), this is a good thing anyway, as it creates more formations to use, a quite new yet essential component of army building that all chaos armies were almost completely left out of until now. That WD 60 will contain more exclusive datasheets even increases the propability that one of them will -by pure chance, of course- actually be usable on the table.

I would expect it to act more like a formations book with maybe new rules for the bloodthirster. Think of it as a Champions of Fenris for the space wolves carried over to CSM+Daemons. You then get a certain bonus for having a specific build with some formation added. I would imagine you lose objective secured but all units in the detachment gain rage on top of furious charge.

This is all a guess but i wouldn't imagine something so grand so quick.

Well, I'd post my typical Commando response video to anything relating to Chaos Space Marines, but it was blocked last time.

Base CSM codex will still be the Base CSM codex.  I have a nasty suspision that like Khârn Eater of Worlds it will be a re-release of the Butcherhorde along with a daemon update.

Butcherhorde kinda sucks and is 30k Legion inflexible without 30k Legion Awesome Rules and Points discounts for bringing More Guys.

I say Butcherhorde sucks mostly because it makes me take FauxZerkers instead of all Beserkers (Which I can very much do-and GLADLY WOULD) but the formation only effects the beserkers and Kcsms, not ANYTHING ELSE in the army-so I can't have Raptors, Bikers, or Terminators-or Hellbrutes or Defilers with the same abilities.  And can't give Mark of Khorne to the various vehicles.  Wasn't thrilled, and after a slew of recent purchases that made me pretty annoyed at the gaming industry, just rubbed more salt in the wound.

All I'm saying:  No Assaulting Out of rhinos, no Defiler Slaughterfiend (Zerker's grab onto the walker and ride it-can then assault what the ws5 i4 Mark of Khorne walker assaults), no Mark of Khorne Helbrutes, then No Buy.

It's going to have to be good and crunchy to get me in.  Like Matt Ward codex crunchy.  Like as good as Tau are in shooting, but in Close Combat.

I mention again the base codex will be the Current CSM codex.  So yeah, there's not a lot of hope in the Age of Obama.

Rumors already had no chaos codex any time soon. The scuttlebutt has all been about assassins and mechanicus minidexes, with generic marines, tau, and eldar as the next existing books to get updates, completely skipping over dark angels and chaos.

If this is true, I expect the following things:

Stat lines and rules for all current models remain unchanged, with the exception of the blood thirster, because the current daemon and CSM books aren't going away, and I don't expect them to have different rules for the same units accross books (I mean, they do for harlequins right now, but again, eldar are supposedly on the short list, and CSMs and daemons more generally aren't)

No new models. If there are new models for a book, those get released first, with rules in WD, and the book following after. That's just how they do stuff now. If the book is next week, and models aren't, then there are no new models in that book, apart from the bloodthirster we already have.

So... yeah. Even if this rumor proves true, I would not recommend holding your breath for a major revitalization of chaos generally or even just khornate chaos in particular in the game.

Vesper, in that regard, I'd post the clip with my favorite piece of dialogue from Braveheart, ("The Father says he'd get me out of this...") but it'd probably get blocked.

Yeah, we're pretty screwed.

I think that line about Marines, Tau and Eldar was written in exasperation, as in "This khorne supplement is as likely to be awesome and super effective as me winning the maximum Lottery, having a pillow fight with Jessica Alba and Scarlet Johanson and I ride around in a Cadillac deville convertable suitably 'lo-ridered', with a Walrus lounging in the back seat,"

No, we are not. With this book we are at our third supplement for our faction (a major thing here) which will provide more formations and more ideas for people to play with. This will not make us "competitive" but it will breathe some life into our armies, some new ideas, some new themes. 

As I have said above, do not expect a major overhaul, consider it an expansion on the Khârn's Butcherhorde theme and a way to release the new Bloodthirster rules for 40k, this is all that this book is about.

In the terms of gameplay I think books like this are at least a show that GW is still working on Chaos. We will never be on par with the Space Marines or Eldar in terms of power and we will be still shoehorned into our role as the villains of the universe. What we can do, as a community and as players is to bear this as a mark of pride rather than weep all day long.

It is a book for Khorne armies. This is good. It will have daemons and marines, this is also good. Maybe it will have some cool artifact and formation, but that is the most that I do expect. In all sincerity, I am beyond the point where I am weeping on the codex, I could not care less and neither should you, if we are competitive or no. If that is the only vibe you get from playing a 40k army then there are way more competitive options out there, Chaos has had a moderate chance something like ten years ago and that is all that we will get. Get over it! 

But for those who are by soul and heart a Chaos player then this book is good news. I am way more curious about the new background and art than I am about the rules. I hope for more Chaos fluff, for more timelines, more maps, more story. If the rules are good then it is great, if they are not, it will sill be great.

I came third in the Doubles tournament past Saturday, with the simple Khorne list you can find in the Army List. My buddy played a Renegade Guard with the FW rules. Our lists were thematic and fluffy... yet we still made it good. I simply pity the players who had to bring an Imperial Knight and a Centurion-star with Tigurius and Coteaz to enjoy the event... We lost to them but I went down with my pride in my colors unscathed. That is what is about Chaos, not about rules or competitive builds, but to represent who you are on the tabletop, to say, I am a Chaos player and I rather shoot myself in the knee then to count as a loyalist to win.

Long story short, please avoid the weeping part, I think we were done with it and I attest that I will delete it at a moment's notice should it be indulged. It is Khorne, it is a book with new fluff, new artwork and maybe a new formation or two. I care not if it will be good or bad, as long as a Chaos player I do have something new to play with or to explore a new theme or two. 

It will be interesting to see the amount of rules the book will contain. Note that it says it's a "Codex" not a supplement. All the Codices so far have contained full rules. If it contains new/current profiles for Berzerkers that would be a strong indicator that Cults are being removed from the next CSM codex, since otherwise there would be rules overlap like they removed with the harlequins.

tenebris, please stop whining! All this negativity from you about the feelings we true chaos players have towards the army we love and play really makes me sad :(

let the people themselves decide how to feel and what they want to read.

Archived