Codex: Khorne, next week?

Sception

My question is, with the ease of getting Special Rules like Furious Charge, Hatred and Rage that Khornate units enjoy already, what are the formations going to offer? I said it before but I honestly think that logically we are going to get a Run and Charge Special rule which will be pretty huge if you think about it, especially if the book jags us Fleet or even Crusader.

I know it's easy to get jaded about Chaos releases and expect to get something like Fear or Soul Blaze on all the units in the detachment but what do you guys think is coming?

if they give defilers an open-topped transport option for up to 8 berzerkers, they get a thumbs up from me, despite the fact that lowering the costs of most units is equally needed and out of the question. Traditionally, the design team associated Khornates with Fearlessness, FnP, exploding attack dice and occasional decapitations.

Would be cool if they gave Berserkers a formation with rage and rending! I would love to see a squad of Berserkers charge a Knight Titan and rend it to death. That would make them actually worth taking.

Here's the problem, and please excuse me if this comes across as negative.

I don't think I can recall a formation giving a price reduction for a unit. This is a huge hurdle for helping out Berzerkers/Khorne/friends of Khârn.

They usually give a 'free' special ability to make something enticing. BUT this free rule is typically only -decent- if it requires you to buy a new model. Case and point: the Helbrute. How do you sell a mediocre unit with lots of potential but very little applicable use on the tabletop? Sure a few hobbiest/purests jump all over it but to REALLY  move the model you have to come up with strong-ish formations that make you buy -multiples- of these things. This is the point of the Helbrute formations.

So this alleged codex coming out has to somehow entice you to use new models, forcing a combination of new and old, while giving you a good enough special rule that it makes ignoring the overpriced units worth while!

That's a really tall order. Me? I hate space hippies so this is a no go for me. I used to use Bloodletters in 3rd when they were much killier than they appear to be now, and it was only as a tool for Khârn. I have a feeling this will be quite an involved set of rules with hippies and marines alike.

On the other hand, I'm not saying it can't be done. If you look at the evolution of this stuff, we can see complete turdlings in the form of: Strike Force Ultra (never heard of it? That's how bad it is) all the way up to: Necron Decurion.

The financial commitment to the above two formations is very similar. The power gap between the execution of these two formations is like comparing getting punched in the warp jewel by a Primarch, to playing paddy-cake with a cultist.

So you'll excuse me if I seem less than enthused. This comes from the guy who tries everything: Helbrute formations, Butcherhorde, Helguard, heck I even own a fully operational Decurion!

Sadly, you know what gives me the greatest expectation of it being 'good'? I just finally bought a bunch of Grey Knights. lol

Berserkers were repackaged last week with the new style box and larger bases, so anyone hoping for a redo any time soon will be disappointed. Personally i think the plastics can still look good, you've just got to chop them up a bit to make the poses look decent.

from faeit:

EndemionMarch 17, 2015 at 5:54 AM
Sadly no, just a new "Army Wide" Blood Tithe rule, keep a running tally of *All* unit deaths, these are points you can spend of special Khornate boons, including summoning Daemons, up to and including a Bloodthirster (One variant of which has a "D" Str melee weapon).

Endemion   March 17, 2015 at 6:07 AM
Guessing from all the stuff hinted at/talked about/in pictures in the White Dwarf as it's not actually stated 100% for most of them, it'll be...
Chaos Lord
Normal Marines
Terminators
Forgefiend
Maulerfiend
Defiler
All the Khorne Daemons
Soul Grinder

That's all that's mentioned that I can see, could be other stuff like Raptors/Obliterators etc but just not mentioned in white dwarf.

Does hint that all the Daemons might *not* have Daemonic Instability

Endemion  March 17, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Nope, it's mostly just hints about what's in the Codex, while talking about their special rule. I did forget cultists though, they are in there as well.

Even The White Dwarf Bloodthirster rules are the ones to go with Codex Daemons, they aren't the rules for them from this new Khornate book.

Also regarding Next Week's Hints
Endemion  March 17, 2015 at 5:09 AM
The "Next Week in White Dwarf" this week is...
Just loads of strings of binary...
OMG! Etc.

if you translate the binary you get...
A__ H___ M___

Fill in the blanks!

All Hail Mars!!

Don't want to compete with themselves.  Don't have new models for the other gods ready to go at the moment.  Chaos players are more likely to buy each book if they're released one at a time and spread out, if they all came out at once we'd each just pick a favorite.

Note that the axe of blind fury likely won't be available to this army, except as an allied choice.

They'll likely have other quality weapon options for jugger lords, though.

Don't want to compete with themselves. Don't have new models for the other gods ready to go at the moment. Chaos players are more likely to buy each book if they're released one at a time and spread out, if they all came out at once we'd each just pick a favorite.

Note that the axe of blind fury likely won't be available to this army, except as an allied choice.

They'll likely have other quality weapon options for jugger lords, though.

I just want them to hurry up and release the burgle one lol

Well I am mostly a Tzeentch player and I have multiples of the "new" plastic Tzeentch Daemons so that is the release I am more interested but recently I have been playing Khorne lists quite regularly and I must say that the thrill of the assault is still my favorite moment in a 40k game, second only to the psychic phase.

If we will get some sort of table similar to the one of the Dark Eldar, where our army will unlock abilities not as turns advance but as kills ramp this would be a very interesting and dynamic way to play a game. In this case we will be forced to be very aggressive, which is how I like to play Chaos, so no change here, but if I would be able to summon daemons as a result of this table, without recurring to psychic powers (reasonable for Khorne) this can make my army very unpredictable.

Say that this army wide rule will be the case, well the opponent will know that if I ramp kills I become stronger, I will know that if my opponent shoots me liberally I get stronger, so the caveat here is how will this force the hand to my opponent. One thing is that when going against a said Khorne army an opponent would favor objectives over kill points, or he would try to prevent me to play my game, to be in melee, to ramp up kill points...

Against horde armies such an army would be extremely deadly, against elite armies it will be a game of chess and positioning for the more units die the more Khorne is buffed and deadly. Indeed it will probably have some random elements and our nemesis would be very resilient armies like Nurgle, Necrons and similar, but in the long term, this would indeed be a fun and thematic way to play Khorne.

Speculating on the rumor, say I kill a tactical squad and I loose in the process four berzerkers. This would mean 14 kills which will be turned into a "tally" system like the one from Epidemius, with options to summon packs of Bloodletters for the points gained. Well this can be either completely broken or completely awesome, it all depends on the table. But as my army will be whittled down, model by model, skull by skull, I would gain points which could easily result in Daemons, meaning that the more my opponent presses the carnage, the more Daemons of Khorne will appear, ultimating in a killer Bloodthirster with Strength D attacks... 

In theory this is awesome and a whole new level of nasty... but the trick is that to use this effectively you would have to have a whole box of Daemons with you...

You shouldn't read the 2ed codex tenebris. It gives you ideas that do not forge the narrative enough.

But what we realy need is khorn blood priests that use power dice, with a "blood lore". Maybe with extra dice/re-rolls/something when units near are in melee [like old style waagghh rules].

I'm seeing a really powerful list coming from this, if the rumors are substantiated. 

For example; Allied detachment of Tzeentch would bring magic and warp charges to the mix. The khorne faster attack/strong attack troops would take the damage and kill in close assault, while the tzeentch cast spells on enemies and buff the attacking troops with divination/daemonology/grimoir. 

If the rumor is right, in that you get buffs depending on amount of ALL units killed, then you can literally just sweep across the field with everything.

If the rumor is right, in that you get buffs depending on amount of ALL units killed, then you can literally just sweep across the field with everything.

If this affects R&H, we may become unstoppable(they have cheap units, like 30 pts per units).  If not, we could use cultist as sacrifices.   

LOL @ Blood Tithe combined with Siege of Vraks unending host detachment.

both will propably be restricted to primary detachments/warlord

If I am allow, this is how I am running my army, i don't have 200 cultist models for nothing.  The field will flow with your blood.

I am getting hype for once, this has not happen since titanfall.   

I hope for the love of god Khorne that they do not highly encourage you rulewise to run a ton of models, if that's the case I'm out lol. No but really, I'd hate that.

I'm mostly hoping the Khorn book gets access to IA13 options, whether by phrasing allowing the Khorn army to take 'any vehicles or options available to CSMs, if it's a supplement, or by a FW errata/update if it's a separate book.

It would be especially nice if 'zerks in the khorn army could get dedicated transport access to dreadclaws.

Well I am mostly a Tzeentch player and I have multiples of the "new" plastic Tzeentch Daemons so that is the release I am more interested but recently I have been playing Khorne lists quite regularly and I must say that the thrill of the assault is still my favorite moment in a 40k game, second only to the psychic phase.

If we will get some sort of table similar to the one of the Dark Eldar, where our army will unlock abilities not as turns advance but as kills ramp this would be a very interesting and dynamic way to play a game. In this case we will be forced to be very aggressive, which is how I like to play Chaos, so no change here, but if I would be able to summon daemons as a result of this table, without recurring to psychic powers (reasonable for Khorne) this can make my army very unpredictable.

Say that this army wide rule will be the case, well the opponent will know that if I ramp kills I become stronger, I will know that if my opponent shoots me liberally I get stronger, so the caveat here is how will this force the hand to my opponent. One thing is that when going against a said Khorne army an opponent would favor objectives over kill points, or he would try to prevent me to play my game, to be in melee, to ramp up kill points...

Against horde armies such an army would be extremely deadly, against elite armies it will be a game of chess and positioning for the more units die the more Khorne is buffed and deadly. Indeed it will probably have some random elements and our nemesis would be very resilient armies like Nurgle, Necrons and similar, but in the long term, this would indeed be a fun and thematic way to play Khorne.

Speculating on the rumor, say I kill a tactical squad and I loose in the process four berzerkers. This would mean 14 kills which will be turned into a "tally" system like the one from Epidemius, with options to summon packs of Bloodletters for the points gained. Well this can be either completely broken or completely awesome, it all depends on the table. But as my army will be whittled down, model by model, skull by skull, I would gain points which could easily result in Daemons, meaning that the more my opponent presses the carnage, the more Daemons of Khorne will appear, ultimating in a killer Bloodthirster with Strength D attacks... 

In theory this is awesome and a whole new level of nasty... but the trick is that to use this effectively you would have to have a whole box of Daemons with you...

Or a lot of Lizardmen you had painted and converted into a failed custom army you once attempted to make...And I dare say, the new Carnosaur is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the new Bloodthirster, yes.

I hope for the love of god Khorne that they do not highly encourage you rulewise to run a ton of models, if that's the case I'm out lol. No but really, I'd hate that.

I bought a bag o'models from the old warzone imperial/bauhaus boxed set, having fun with renegades ever since.

I'm mostly hoping the Khorn book gets access to IA13 options

seriously doubting that, as this would be the first time for a GW codex to include FW products. As a supplement to CSM/CD, IA13 options would be elegible anyway.

Archived