[Commission] Night Lord Aspiring Champion

Disclaimer: I haven't touched a 40K model in years now as I stopped playing at the end of 5th ed. So any new and world-shattering revelations and changes to the fluff are unknown to me.

I walked by my shelf the other day, after talking to a friend who wants me to do a commission for him and I thought to myself, what are these things for:

IMG_3276.JPG

?

Anyway,

The job:

Magnetize and paint the (new?) plastic Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion model and make it look "Night Lord'y".

Progress will be slow as there is no deadline for this one, I do plan to update about once or twice per month.

No promises though. as I need to learn how to paint again first.

The model will be delivered to me today.

Gracias señoras y señores.

How have you been Brother Nihm? 

Busy! (and well, thanks! :))

[update #1]

Package received. The model in question is this guy (and there was also a chaos PA lightning claw, so I assume it will have to be magnetized as well) :

NL1.png

After opening the blister I immediately noticed that converting this guy will obscure a lot of beautiful detail, so I will have to make him look Night Lord'y primarily via the paint job.

It is one gorgeous piece of plastic kit (I also saw the price, yikes) so why ruin it by adding even more details?

Mold line cleanup has been done and I've begun to magnetize him and have already run into the first problem, the torso is not well suited to it.

I will try and make a greenstuff core + fitting, which I will then glue the magnet into.

This is my first attempt. The GS is currently curing:

NL2.png

I am excited to see if it will be able to reliably hold the magnet and still fit the front of the torso, which will be glued on after the basecoat has been done.

i'm looking forward to seeing how you nightlordize him :tu:

i've got the same model in my bitz collection, but have to find a suitable conversion idea yet...

[update #2]

The greenstuff socket appears to be holding up well when put under pressure.

Here's the front of the insides:

NL3.png

And this shows how it will fit when glued:

NL4.png

I have found some (to me, major) issues with this model, and I'd like to address the first one in this update.

To me, Night Lords aren't really into the whole Daemon/warp-dabbling thing. There's precedence for it sure, but I'm old, grumpy and a traditionalist. *shakes fist* msn-wink.gif

So adorning one's armour with screaming daemons, multiple eyes and sculpture seems unbecoming/daft, even for the lowly gene-enhanced murderers of the 8th.

This will hopefully show you what I mean:

NL5.png

Imagine running around slaughtering defenceless mortals, having to watch your step - so that you don't step on your armour's tongue...

Now, I was given free reign (more or less) for this commission, so, am going to remove it, kill it - dead, it will be gone!

Not sure what I'll do about that section, but I'll tackle it as a I go along. There's very little space to work with.

*grabs a knife*

It could be painted in brass or iron as a fear inducing vox amplifier in the shape of a demonic visage. Would save digging a small chunk of plastic from between his foot and greave

That is a great idea. The vox amp thing.. I might steal that one for the left shoulder pad. (will post pictures of what I mean when I get there). smile.png

I've been busy carving since my last post and I think I've almost reached a point where I'm happy with it.

The rough cuts:

Untitled-3.png

After the first clean-up:

Untitled-1.png

Todo here: I need to fix the GS gap on the left, smoothen the cuts, remove what grooves I can and then it is time to tackle the next issue on the list.

Until next time.

#TiredEyes

I just happen to pop online today to find that one of my favourite hobbyists had returned from the shadows to deliver a new WIP thread.  As a long time reader of your threads and a fellow Night Lord player/collector ,Welcome back Brother Nihm.

• 2 months later...

Just a brief update with no actual content.

I've recently moved apartment and I'm finally settled in - enough to continue to work that is.

Dedicated hobby room - I have missed thee!

While I shamefully never finished the project, I do recall learning a great deal of painting techniques for an old Night Lord project from the Revered Brother Nihm. It's great to see you back! Looking forward to the new project. happy.png

Archived