It has recently occurred to me that a lot of people have cool hobby blogs to keep track of their regiment, it's about time I did the same! Odd topics for vows and challenges is fine but I need a proper home for general models I'm working on. Given I started repainting my Guard a few years ago (almost finished...) it is fitting that I start with not only a repaint but one of the oldest of models.

Check out this Russ, found lingering in my parent's storage and in need of some serious love and attention. Fortunately the commissariat is well known for having an abundance of love to share :wink:

gallery_30308_10604_25102.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_60372.jpg

This model must be over 20 years old, so it is surely deserving of some special treatment! It's also the a perfect example of how everyone starts out rubbish :laugh.: Yes that is Goblin Green and Blood Red, I only had so many paints back then (and Chainmail instead of Boltgun Metal!) :tongue.: In between working on my Regiments vow I've been sorting the model out ready for stripping. Broken bits like the HK have been removed (wish my glue is that strong now...), barrels and exhaust drilled out along with cleaning join lines.

Such a relic of the regiment demands the best so I'm going to give this model my all and try and push myself to greater heights of painting. I'll see if I can give it a fitting backstory and name too but any and all suggestions are most welcome :smile.:

My eyes... my eyes... :eek:

Joking :)

It is always nice to be able to dig out a model from our earliest forages into painting as it is the best way of showing ourselves just how far we have improved over time.

Maybe it is time to give the beast some of that tender care, love and nurturing attention that the Commissariat is so famous for.

I am looking forward to see how this comes along :thumbsup:

Thanks Meh, I'm sure 8 year old me would be pleased to hear that :lol: I'm following SW1's advice for stripping, but I'm not sure if I have anything suitable to use. I'm trying something out on some scrap plastic to see how it works before touching the Russ, if it doesn't work I'll have to grab something next week.

Looking at the tank I like some of the transfers, maybe I'll add a campaign badge and such to my other vehicles. Maybe even the scythe in honour of this venerable war machine?

What a beast! A shame the extra guns are now useless on a Russ. Not too bad a job though, you sure this is your oldest example?

I too am a advisor of fairy power spray (old mixture). I followed a tutorial I found on youtube.

Have been at a friend's who used dettol and well, the house stank too.

Thanks comrades, I tried the stuff I had and while it successfully removed the paint on my test piece and didn't damage the plastic it proved powerless against the wizened hull of the Russ! On the positive side the tank smells nice now :laugh.: I will try a 24 hour dunk in Fairy as soon as I can grab some as I may as well go for the good stuff with such old and thick paint and save a lot of bother :tongue.:

It's one of the earliest examples yes, my first ever Guard tank - the tank that started my addiction to all things armour no less :wink: So I suppose it is a priceless relic of the regiment in many ways...

I've found a couple of blister packs as well as a couple of half repainted HWTs so I will add them to the blog at some point too :smile.:

Now I've completed my Blood and Glory vow I can settle in to other things (not including running the event!) :) Here are the models I dug out:

gallery_30308_10604_66474.jpg

These HWTs have had some of the repainting done so it won't take too long to bring them up to table readiness.

gallery_30308_10604_49601.jpg

I don't think I'll ever need a third banner, but it could be a good base model for a conversion if I can come up with a suitable idea. Can't go wrong with another medic and more officers though! I doubt I'll ever use a PW and PP combo as that's a bit expensive so I'm thinking of a bit of chopping and changing. What about PP and CCW and a laspistol and PW?

I'll have to see what other things I can dig out of boxes :lol: I will sort out a soak for my test bit as soon as I can as I'd like to start on the Russ first :)

I like to try and keep costs down so I can get more models on the table, but it has never seemed a good idea. The pistol can be quite nice but on a commander he likely won't like long enough to swing a sword. I just can't help but ask myself what guns I could buy for the points! Maybe if I ever decided to run a blob squad o'doom... Might be a good idea to have the PP model as an extra Veteran Sergeant come to think of it, as a plasma Vet squad could really throw out the AP2 then.

I've also dug out my Ratlings, they'll get stripped down for a repaint too. Could be a good addition to the ETL, they might not be worth much but being so small shouldn't take long to paint :laugh.:

Having a nice sword doesn't have to mean its a power sword but at least if you wanted them then they are there ready? Could just be a nice decorative parade sword?

As for the standard, how about a mini-diarama or objective marker?

Edited by scatmandoo

I personally use Superdrug's Acetone-Free Nail Varnish Remover for stripping models. Gets it done in under an hour with no damage to the plastic. Dettol makes a horrible mess in my experience, turned the paint to a black tar that was impossible to remove. :/

Fairy Power Spray was meant to be decent if left to soak for a day, but sadly they changed the recipe.

I personally use Superdrug's Acetone-Free Nail Varnish Remover for stripping models. Gets it done in under an hour with no damage to the plastic. Dettol makes a horrible mess in my experience, turned the paint to a black tar that was impossible to remove. :/

Fairy Power Spray was meant to be decent if left to soak for a day, but sadly they changed the recipe.

When did they change it? The bottle I bought last year stripped did a great job on my metal Terminators after 30 minutes + a toothbrush.

It has recently occurred to me that a lot of people have cool hobby blogs to keep track of their regiment, it's about time I did the same! Odd topics for vows and challenges is fine but I need a proper home for general models I'm working on. Given I started repainting my Guard a few years ago (almost finished...) it is fitting that I start with not only a repaint but one of the oldest of models.

Check out this Russ, found lingering in my parent's storage and in need of some serious love and attention. Fortunately the commissariat is well known for having an abundance of love to share :wink:

gallery_30308_10604_25102.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_60372.jpg

This model must be over 20 years old, so it is surely deserving of some special treatment! It's also the a perfect example of how everyone starts out rubbish :laugh.: Yes that is Goblin Green and Blood Red, I only had so many paints back then (and Chainmail instead of Boltgun Metal!) :tongue.: In between working on my Regiments vow I've been sorting the model out ready for stripping. Broken bits like the HK have been removed (wish my glue is that strong now...), barrels and exhaust drilled out along with cleaning join lines.

Such a relic of the regiment demands the best so I'm going to give this model my all and try and push myself to greater heights of painting. I'll see if I can give it a fitting backstory and name too but any and all suggestions are most welcome :smile.:

That looks remarkably like the first Guard tank I painted ~ seventeen years ago, but I used Mithril Silver instead of Chainmail. Is it worth keeping it around with that paint job to remind you how far you've come painting-wise? I've been considering re-doing my my first ever models for years but I've been having second thoughts lately.

When did they change it? The bottle I bought last year stripped did a great job on my metal Terminators after 30 minutes + a toothbrush.

Within the last year it seems. A lot of people started coming up saying it had changed and isn't as effective in the UK anymore. :/

I don't think there's much difference between the two. I'd rather have a usable model as I can remember how far I've come - I've got pictures now too. All models deserve attention so I will bring this one back into the fold and ready for battle :)

I've used nail varnish remover before, but it will damage the plastic if you're not careful. This is where cheaper stuff is better as it is weaker. It's a big model so I can't dunk it easily so I think I'll try some power spray and see how that goes. I'd rather have to do more to remove the paint than risk any damage to the plastic.

I have used Brennspiritus for cleaning plastic models and it can be bought from hardware stores so check out BnQ and the like. It seems to be far cheaper over here though.

Remember to test it on some sprue before you commit to dunking the Russ just to be safe.