Yeah only one picture (and of deployment too) doesn't really 'forge the narrative' :P

Seems like you were in the Dice Gods favour - though forcing your opponent to roll lots of saving throws certainly helps your odds ;)

I get too excited about playing and I forget everything else :laugh.: Maybe I should try taking a notebook... :tongue.: It is a good example of how the grenade rules can make a difference though, the Banewolfs did great.

Unyielding faith and sacred B&C dice go a long way it seems ;)

Comrades, as mentioned I will be doing my Knight for my first ETL vow. I have a topic in the AdMech section where I've been logging my progress which I will keep updated as promised but I'll also put updates here as part of the ETL and to keep everyone updated (so you know I'm not slacking! :lol: ). The latest post with the final magnetisation is here, but here's a quick dry run:

gallery_30308_10604_41410.jpg

I'm really excited to get going on her, even if I'm still dreading doing the fibre optics. I still need to decide on a colour scheme too :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rich, taken a long time to get here but I'm happy with how everything has gone so far :) The Marine is just looking pretty, the only plans I have so far on the base is the standard sand painting and some water effect (the non-flocked bits) plus a few bits of grass. I may look into adding something more to the base, though it could be a future addition.

The feet are made to stand flat, the ankle ball joint being purely aesthetic. You can see them in more detail in my WIP, so if you did any significant elevation you'd need to take that into account.

Im not changing the knees. If I get another knight then I might do that but this ones going to be stock with the exception of the interior. 

Im going to raise the feet on the base and cut the toes so the back one is flexed up and the front one is curled over the landscape. 

that way theres no need to leg adjustments. 

I need to get some cork this weekend

Yeah, I'd say adjusting the toes would be the easiest way to add a bit of dynamism to the feet without lots of conversion work. Like you I also decided that mono-pose isn't an issue if you've only one of them :wink: Should I ever get a second Knight I will look at adjusting the legs but I'm thinking that probably won't happen. It all depends on if I can source the Warden sprue independently without it being too pricey - the issue is the Renegades box being such good value. It cuts a Knight down to £50 (bought online - plus free terrain!) and all I've found so far end up starting to approach £25 including P&P and at that point I think "that's one sprue for 50% of the price of the entire thing"... :confused:

I would imagine the sprues are a popular item so it's no wonder they are sold for such prices - people will pay them to get their hands on the loot.

As for the base, perhaps you should add something to break up the surface a bit? I didn't add anything to my Storm Raven base and it does look a bit glum. I think the base sizes are similar? That said the Knight will have two feet on the base to help with appearances - the Storm Raven floats high above which doesn't help with the base looking sparse!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm forgetting to update this topic again... I'll be sure to remember once I've finished my weekend's ETL work. I did finish a little bit of background that features the 144th:

Hidden Content
In honour of the 144th's victory the jubilant people of Maynsar IV threw a grand ceremonial party in thanks. Though usually seeing no point in festivities regimental command had agreed to participate, for resupplying to leave would not be complete for a week and while they wouldn't admit it the campaign had been a hard one and it was decided that the soldiers deserved some rest. The officers of the 144th were invited to a VIP party with the planet's nobles, leaving the streets of the cities to the common people and Guardsmen.

Firionel, ever the serious man, would rather be elsewhere but he recognised the importance of such events and as the Lord Commander of the 144th he was the object of their thanks. "Hero" was a term he had no like for, but he was merely buying time for he knew that someone would soon turn up (fashionably late, as usual) that would attract all the attention. The wave of heads turning was the familiar sign that she was moments away. Taking another flute of champagne he held it out, and it was softly taken.
"You are late, I trust all is well?"
"Certainly, my lord, but surely you know that after a battle I have much to attend to?"
"Not least your attire?" Firionel remarked dryly, noting the elegant green and white dress - an extravagance no Arukan would dream of wearing.
"Oh but of course my dear Firionel. See here, does the green not gracefully change hue ever so slightly? And the white, should the light catch it just so, will display a different constellation from Arukan Secundus," she helpfully held her dress out slightly. Firionel recognised the Hunter's Bane formation - the sign of his birth no less.
The nobles clamoured to know who this beauty was with her fiery hair interwoven with hymn and purity seals it was clear she was no native of Arukan.
"This is Lady Calistiria, I have the honour of her aiding me in my duties," Firionel knew that with this his loathsome time in the spotlight was now over.

The evening went smoothly, tributes were made and hearty toasts were raised. Ever diligent in his duty Firionel saw that the day was wound down satisfactorily - keen never to leave any battle unfinished.
"Our thanks can never truly be enough, good sir," a voice interrupted his thoughts; the governor stood smiling and - unusually - alone.
"Then you have said enough, we did our duty for the Emperor and expect nothing more. Thank Him on Terra for sending us in time."
"Kind words indeed, but I will never forget the sight of your soldiers and the mighty Knight holding the city gates against everything the xenos had. I fear it is without exaggeration when I say it was the longest four days of my life! We shall honour this victory with a statue, perhaps, of yourse-?"
"That is most kind, please make it of a Guardsman. It is they who win our wars," Firionel cut him off quickly.
The governor nodded respectfully, perhaps mistaking Firionel's dislike for attention as humility.
"Though truth be told, I would much rather have a statue of the lady Calistiria. Quite where you found such a creature I could not know!" he said, half joking.
"A question I hear often. The truth is I did not find her, she was assigned as my bodyguard."
"I say! I would never have expected it, yet her sublime grace and insight makes it so clear to me now. She must be formidable, I dare say you need fear nothing with her by your side! Even so, it is hard to imagine such a delicate woman in a fight, but I have seen stranger things I am sure," the governor chuckled, finding this only adding to her allure.
"Forgive me governor but you misunderstand. She does not guard me in places such as this, though I know she could do so easily. She instead protects me on the battlefield. I assure you sure is anything but delicate there," Firionel raised his drink slightly.
To this the governor was startled into momentary silence as he realised precisely what role Firionel was talking about.

• 1 month later...

Here we are, my vow is complete:

gallery_30308_12009_150367.jpg

As always, full details and further pictures to be found in my AdMech WIP. What a roller coaster ETL it has been, it may have only been a single vow but I really pushed the boat out! For now big projects are banned :lol: I will focus on my CSM, but keep myself entertained with some Guard and Marine models so keep an eye out for my Bullgryns :D

• 2 weeks later...

Now the excitement of the ETL is over, back to normal business! A game over the weekend...

144th vs Black Templars

1250pts

144th

Hidden Content
CCS

- medic

- vox

- 2x melta

- commander plasma pistol (which I completely forgot about)

Techpriest

- 2x tech servitors

2x Platoon

PCS

- vox

- 2x grenade launcher

2x IS

- vox

- flamer

5x Ratlings

2x Scout Sentinels

- 2x autocannons

2x Armoured Sentinels

- 2x lascannons

Devildog

- heavy flamer

Basilisk

- heavy flamer

Basilisk

- heavy flamer

2x Wyverns

- 2x heavy flamer

Black Templars

Hidden Content
Sternhammer Formation

Captain

3x 5x Tacticals

plasma cannon, lascannon

2x Razorbacks

- twin-linked lascannons

Rhino

5x Assault Marines

Dreadnought

- multimelta

Drop pod

Ironclad Dreadnought

- 2x hunter killers

Venerable Dreadnought

- assault cannon

Devastator Centurions

- 2x lascannons

- 2x missile launchers

Mission

The one with classic 12" deployment, and TO cards equal to held objectives

Deployment

Winning the roll off I decided to deploy first. Things weren't looking too favourable so I thought best to keep things simple. With Firionel rolling for infiltration that gives me a bit of leeway, but ultimately deployment is straight forward. Firionel's CCS and the two left hand Infantry Squads and the Techpriest infiltrate to cover the tanks. Ratlings take their objective and vantage point.

gallery_30308_10077_52119.jpg

Templars keep things simple too, looking to try and work round the sides as an option, with Centurions being annoying in the ruins.

gallery_30308_10077_7967.jpg

Turn 1

With my opponent failing to seize the initiative only one thing to do! There is little reason to move more than advancing on the objective nearby which turned out to boost cover saves. Nice. There isn't any orders worth giving so straight to shooting. Some nice rolling sees both Razorbacks stunned, as well as the Rhino and Ironclad - and four of the Assault Marines gibbed for a great first turn from the Bassies. The Venerable is immobilised by Sentinel fire. While this is all good, saving me from some return fire ideally I'd have wanted to prevent them moving...

In return there's not much to do, so most Templars make for my lines. The left hand Wyvern is exploded by the podding Dread, Firionel's medic doing his job to keep them fighting. As annoying as this is I'm not too worried as there's little for them to shoot effectively so one should suffice. I have more pressing concerns as the Dread and pod need to go, as the pod is right next to my objective!

Turn 2

Sadly this turn sees little accomplished, but Firionel's melta Veterans slagged the Dread and the Devildog popped the pod so I've cleared my lines for now at least. Further fire is largely ineffective, just seeing the odd hull point stripped. Things are looking a bit troublesome but plenty of time to pull it back.

The Templars move up some more, and my picket squad is wiped out leaving Firionel with less support - good job I had moved the left hand units in. I want the centre objective but can't see how I can get it yet. Right hand flank depends on if I can destroy the Razors quickly.

gallery_30308_10077_11927.jpg

Turn 3

Doing a bit better, one Razorback is destroyed and the Rhino falls to bits. The disembarking Razor squad is FRFSRF'd to little chunks, and the Captain's squad suffers a single casualty. Otherwise not much. Ratlings continue to do nothing, the Sentinels arrive on the right hand side but only issue a hull point from a Razor.

The enemy squad moves up, the medic preserving life and even better their charge failing! That saves Firionel and gives me a chance to counter! The other Razor squad moves up and disembarks behind it to hide. The Devildog is destroyed by the Centurions.

gallery_30308_10077_76850.jpg

Turn 4

Firionel moves up, and the Sentinels advance on the Centurions. Firionel's melta Vets do their job once more and kill the Sword Brother and Captain, the Sentinels combine efforts to destroy the Razor. A Bassie takes out the Ironclad, the other struggles with 2+ saves but the Wyvern helps out to drop the heavy bolter Centurion. The squads with Firionel now run to move in on the centre objective, as I just need to destroy the Venerable to capture it in relative safety.

The remaining Tac squad moves up to charge an infantry squad - barely making the charge but unfortunately I couldn't get the single kill needed to fail it. The lone Assault Marine makes his charge, killing two but the squads hold. The Centurions realise what my Scout Sentinels are doing and shoot, but some luck sees only one destroyed and the other surviving on a hull point!

gallery_30308_10077_33236.jpg

Turn 5

It's looking difficult, but there's the chance my squads can pull off some feats to work things in my favour. Outside of the assaults I've the upper hand and I use it. A wound on a Centurion and the Venerable goes down helping me out. Sentinels line up for charges to either hope to tie up the Centurions or keep the Tacs stuck. Sadly the Centurions get a lucky glance in, but the shooting phase is clearly mine now.

The Centurions fail to damage my left hand Bassies, and that's that for shooting. Assault goes as well as can be expected, the PCS holds again, and the Infantry squad manage to stab a Templar to death in return.

gallery_30308_10077_53502.jpg

Turn 6

It's all down to the combats. My spare Infantry squad piles in on the Assault Marine hoping we can drag him down. The Sentinels achieve little and the squad is weakened. The PCS is reduced to the commander and the charging squad breaks to run. Victory is starting to look very difficult indeed...

Fortunately for me the Tac sergeant seems to have forgotten how meltabombs work, I'll need to get stuck in with what I have if I am to win.

gallery_30308_10077_56739.jpg

Turn 7

Unfortunately the retreating squad doesn't rally, giving me few options as I don't want to risk losing Firionel for the extra VP as it's down to the wire. By capturing the centre objective with my advancing squads I'm barely in the lead, but that will count for nothing unless the Tacs somehow go away. Centurions still hold, but at least the Techpriest repaired the right hand Bassie which was previously stunned into silence.

The final turn sees the Sentinel fall, granting my opponent Linebreaker for force a draw. It was a bit disappointing not to get the win in the end, but all things considered the list did well enough. I wanted to run an artillery company list even though I knew it probably wasn't the best of ideas at 1250pts :tongue.: The Bassies hit hard, but against 2+ saves they really struggle. They did well taking out vehicles though, something they always deliver on at least. Sentinels have been a stalwart for me for years especially in artillery style lists but their performance was below the standard.

The Devildog was good I thought, just didn't get a chance to do much so I might use that in such lists again. My Infantry usually do better, but they had very little to shoot - Firionel's command squad making up for this with some great rolling (and luck!). The Techpriest was in the wrong place, having to run to both of his repairs with a previous turn... not ideal but can't be helped.

So overall it wasn't too bad, some poorer performances than usual mixed with a suboptimal list make for some interesting games. The TOs were all but useless for us both, so it came down to a scrap for the most part, seeking to snatch what points you could so the draw was the fairer result in the end.

Next game is 1750pts, but I'm finding myself looking at the age of our codex and wondering if I should run my Marines instead... :confused:

Just think if you can win with an outdated codex that just proves your a good player. I for one feel a lot better when I beat someone with an non optimal list then if I just bought a war convocation and just smashed them to bits.

At the end of the day though play what army you like playing with and make sure your opponent knows it's a casual, friendly game (unless your in a torny or something)

Great batrep by the way! :)