Forewarned is forearmed - the ETL is a coming.

SW1

What is more Guard than having people barking at you to do your duty to regiment and Emperor? Complete your vows or die trying! :lol:

We've got quite a few reserves to commit to the crusade it seems, so I reckon the ETL will be getting a lot of Guard models painted for us this year! :D

I am terrible at actually painting things; I generally just buy and build, no paint. This thread hyped me up to participate. However, I went over in my head how many points I have access to; it isn't much. Even if I paint 9 chimeras, 4 basilisks, and 8 russ variants; I will only contribute around 2500 points ( prob closer to 2250 ). Does that even make a drop in the water?

A single Guardsman may be weak and easily felled, but together, we are an unstoppable tide of fury and hatred!

We know, that why we have renegades and heretics backing us up.  This is going to be fun.

(Also I wish your faction the best of luck, Its always good to see more guard being painted especially Krieg and chem salvar. Coffee Grunt, best show ever of all time.). 

I am sorry to inform all the loyal slaves of the Emperor, but this is chaos year again. This is our 15th Black Crusade .

15th Black Crusade you say? You cowardly traitors are strangely proud of your losing streak msn-wink.gif

I am terrible at actually painting things; I generally just buy and build, no paint. This thread hyped me up to participate. However, I went over in my head how many points I have access to; it isn't much. Even if I paint 9 chimeras, 4 basilisks, and 8 russ variants; I will only contribute around 2500 points ( prob closer to 2250 ). Does that even make a drop in the water?

This is a joke right? tongue.png Points aside any and all vows are welcome - it's not how much you vow it's how many vows you complete! biggrin.png

I am sorry to inform all the loyal slaves of the Emperor, but this is chaos year again. This is our 15th Black Crusade .

15th Black Crusade you say? You cowardly traitors are strangely proud of your losing streak msn-wink.gif

They just love the sound of their own mouths flapping ;)

Partially as penitence for failing my Call of Chaos vow and mainly as I intend to put my Psychopomps into this year's Armies On Parade and I need to dedicate as much time as possible to that, I will be vowing for Chaos this year.

My apologies, fellow guardsmen.

But think of it this way: in the first ETL I vowed for Chaos (as there was no HH forum back then). In the second I vowed for my family (i.e. I took a year out due to my son's birth). In the third I vowed for the guard. This year Chaos again...

I'll be back vowing for the guard again next year I expect. :)

This is a joke right? tongue.png Points aside any and all vows are welcome - it's not how much you vow it's how many vows you complete! biggrin.png

It's not even how many vows. Just getting the vow(s) made completed is what's needed. Do what you can even 100 points will help make a difference if enough people do it. So +2k points would really help!

Even the super vows mean nothing if the final vow doesn't get completed and that's the kicker. One person vowing 1,000 points and completing the vow means more to the forum total than someone completing 4 vows totalling 20,000 points and then failing to paint up a final vow as the failure of the final vow throws away the other completed points.

Exactly. I keep trying to get this point across in the Codex Astartes forums that it doesn't matter how big or small the vow is if it isn't completed. Yet people still insist on vowing massive amounts that they don't complete (with a few vowing massive amounts that they do complete!). I'd much rather see someone vow a couple of hundred points and get it done than someone vow much more and fail to complete any of it. Remember you can make up to five vows, that's actually a lot to get done in the three months that the event runs, given that life outside the hobby will almost certainly interfere. So there's absolutely no reason to go vowing a massive amount to begin with, you can add more later if you complete what you started with in good time. Just start off with a vehicle, or a squad, or a character etc. Get your first vow complete and then add on further vows as needed. Every single point of completed models helps, so even a vow of a 25pt Commissar is most welcome.

By the way SW1, one of my fellow Codex Astartes rabble rousers comes from Liverpool, so if me or you are with the Guard this year we HAVE to beat the CA forums.

I've just realised I still haven't updated my banner from last year's ETL. Really should get that done before this year's stats.

You'll need to quantify beating, as if you're talking a numbers game then I have some bad news for you given the difference in membership! These Marine types will just let anyone in it seems... the barracks has strict standards on presentation and behaviour ;)

Although big vows are important, noone can win the ETL single-handedly. There were some supervows accross many forums but the victory usually come from the mid-ranged vows and high completion rates. Which means this is a test of commitment - not a test of sheer output.

What you should ask yourself is: "can I do 500pts for the ETL this year?" This is not a huge size but if completed it will help your faction way more than an unfinished pledge - no matter its size.

Another element to consider is the five vows limit. Unsure you will make 500pts? Start off with 150 and once you have them under your belt and have gained some momentum go for another 100 or more... You feel burned out? stop right there! 150pts is a solid block and it may be the 150pts that ultimately make the difference.

Anyways, we can tall ETL theory for ever but it's really great that the frater have embraced it and we all have fun while painting our minis and designing our armies...

Exactly. I keep trying to get this point across in the Codex Astartes forums that it doesn't matter how big or small the vow is if it isn't completed. Yet people still insist on vowing massive amounts that they don't complete (with a few vowing massive amounts that they do complete!). I'd much rather see someone vow a couple of hundred points and get it done than someone vow much more and fail to complete any of it. Remember you can make up to five vows, that's actually a lot to get done in the three months that the event runs, given that life outside the hobby will almost certainly interfere. So there's absolutely no reason to go vowing a massive amount to begin with, you can add more later if you complete what you started with in good time. Just start off with a vehicle, or a squad, or a character etc. Get your first vow complete and then add on further vows as needed. Every single point of completed models helps, so even a vow of a 25pt Commissar is most welcome.

By the way SW1, one of my fellow Codex Astartes rabble rousers comes from Liverpool, so if me or you are with the Guard this year we HAVE to beat the CA forums.

I've just realised I still haven't updated my banner from last year's ETL. Really should get that done before this year's stats.

Lol ... I well I'm in are you? ;)

I need to get access to something other than my phone so I can update my banner as well. Kids plus laptop is not a good mix. :(

I'm going to aim to get whatever I strip and prep before the ETL painted up during the ETL. So the harder I work now the harder I'll have to work getting things painted. Its my once a year painting season.

My wife thinks she's found another shoe box of guard while cleaning up so I'll have that to look forward to plundering!!!

After vowing for the Dark Angels for the last 2 ETLs I will be leaving The Rock this year and vowing for the Astra Mil.... Sorry, Imperial Guard!

After al, what else could be expected of a Commissar?

I have plenty of vehicles to choose from but I will be starting with another Baneblade which I will start preparing soon. After that, a couple of Demolishers, then 3 Leman Russ Battle Tanks, 3 Medusas and more. The plan is to vow the Blade first then once complete follow up with the Russes then the remainder in descending points order as time allows.

The important thing that has already been mentioned and cannot be stressed enough is that if you do not complete the vow then it does not count so it is far better to complete 5 smaller vows than to make one big vow and not complete it!

Let us not forget that the way to victory is from many smaller vows coming together as Semper said - and is this not fitting as it is how the Guard works? The single Guardsman may not be much to fear, but combined with the might of his comrades in arms he will crush all who dare oppose the will of the Emperor!

Ah, I feel my zeal burning ever brighter. Come comrades, we will show you glory if you but follow the regimental banner! I was only thinking that 28 vehicles isn't nearly enough for a Guard army so I should be looking at getting more... Maybe a Sentinel or two to start with? msn-wink.gif

Hi, folks.  Just so I understand this you're supposed to pre-Vow XX of points then paint?  If so, why can't it just be a "paint as much as you can and add the points up when the smoke clears"?  And is it an all or nothing affair for this Vow?

/Update: Ok, so I skimmed through the Rules and while some seem harsh for a friendly painting contest I don't see why not I'll participate.  I do have one question: can I add to units already painted pre-ETL?

My knowledge on the rules is a touch hazy, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong. Has to be a new unpainted unit. I.e. 10 guardsmen, not nine to add to a test model already completed.

The rules are fair enough, the only strict one is that by failing a vow you invalidate all your vows but there has to be some failure clause to make it more interesting ;)

From previous ETLs valid models can be no more than primed and must be valid units from an appropriate codex, so if you want to vow some models you can build and undercoat them but until the ETL officially starts and you put in your vow that's all.

For example:

Valid vow: 10 Veterans with 3 meltaguns and a vox for XXX points (all no more than primed)

Invalid vow: 3 Guardsmen with lasguns

Hope that helps clear things up :tu:

Well, it has been decided what is to be vowed for this year.

If Imperial Knights are allowed for any forum/codex: Two Knights

If Imperial Knights have a separate entry for some reason: A full platoon of guardsmen

That was easy. Now to wait... turned.gif

LOL...I have ~150 metal cadians that need to be repainted to my current quality standard and paint scheme...NOT GOING TO BE AN ETL VOW!!!!

6 points a model for an infantryman who can easily have a more complex paint scheme than any Spehss Murheen one, that way lies perdition.  If you absolutely must vow infantry for ETL, make it smart...working on three infantry squads?  Vow the three heavy weapons as a heavy weapons squad!  Vow the three special weapons, plus a sergeant and one rifleman as a company command squad...you get the idea!  But for the love of Him-on-Earth, save the assembly-line painting of bog stock riflemen in their legions for another time!  

At the other end of things, with the leman russ kit being VASTLY simplified as compared to when I started on this hobby, you can poop out a single model worth as many points as ten space marines in about three hours, and that's to a good standard, not a "three color minimum!"  That way lies glory.  

In other words, approach the hobby with the long view in mind...paint the stuff that has a high points/effort ratio during ETL, and then fill in with the less sexy models before next year's competition.  I messed up big time last year, spending 75% of my ETL effort on three lousy valkyries...great models, but WAY TOO MUCH to paint for three 1xx point models in ETL!  An eradicator with a dozer blade would have been the same points value for 1/5 the effort!

Archived