Forewarned is forearmed - the ETL is a coming.

SW1

LOL...I have ~150 metal cadians that need to be repainted to my current quality standard and paint scheme...NOT GOING TO BE AN ETL VOW!!!!

6 points a model for an infantryman who can easily have a more complex paint scheme than any Spehss Murheen one, that way lies perdition.  If you absolutely must vow infantry for ETL, make it smart...working on three infantry squads?  Vow the three heavy weapons as a heavy weapons squad!  Vow the three special weapons, plus a sergeant and one rifleman as a company command squad...you get the idea!  But for the love of Him-on-Earth, save the assembly-line painting of bog stock riflemen in their legions for another time!  

At the other end of things, with the leman russ kit being VASTLY simplified as compared to when I started on this hobby, you can poop out a single model worth as many points as ten space marines in about three hours, and that's to a good standard, not a "three color minimum!"  That way lies glory.  

In other words, approach the hobby with the long view in mind...paint the stuff that has a high points/effort ratio during ETL, and then fill in with the less sexy models before next year's competition.  I messed up big time last year, spending 75% of my ETL effort on three lousy valkyries...great models, but WAY TOO MUCH to paint for three 1xx point models in ETL!  An eradicator with a dozer blade would have been the same points value for 1/5 the effort!

If I knew my vow for the Guard was going to be laughed at, I would have stuck with my Iron Hands. I'm sure whatever the vow there would also have been inadequate. As it stands, there will be no vow. The fun has already been sucked-out from the event for me, thank you kindly. I'm not a "tread head" so tanks and their ilk were out for me. What could I do to help out the Guard? Paint some guardsmen, of course! If I'm going to be belittled for my efforts then you shall see none. Yeah, 500 or so points is a drop in the bucket for this event. Big whoop. That's what I could do. I don't build or paint "lousy" models just for the hell of it.

I'll approach the hobby any way I see fit and you can move right along and push someone else's head in the mud. This was an opportunity to build someone up, not down. Maybe you care or maybe it's just empty negativity spewing forth. I highly doubt you care that you missed a great moment to build someone's forward momentum in the hobby, but I don't know you nor would I like to.

LOL...I have ~150 metal cadians that need to be repainted to my current quality standard and paint scheme...NOT GOING TO BE AN ETL VOW!!!!

6 points a model for an infantryman who can easily have a more complex paint scheme than any Spehss Murheen one, that way lies perdition. If you absolutely must vow infantry for ETL, make it smart...working on three infantry squads? Vow the three heavy weapons as a heavy weapons squad! Vow the three special weapons, plus a sergeant and one rifleman as a company command squad...you get the idea! But for the love of Him-on-Earth, save the assembly-line painting of bog stock riflemen in their legions for another time!

At the other end of things, with the leman russ kit being VASTLY simplified as compared to when I started on this hobby, you can poop out a single model worth as many points as ten space marines in about three hours, and that's to a good standard, not a "three color minimum!" That way lies glory.

In other words, approach the hobby with the long view in mind...paint the stuff that has a high points/effort ratio during ETL, and then fill in with the less sexy models before next year's competition. I messed up big time last year, spending 75% of my ETL effort on three lousy valkyries...great models, but WAY TOO MUCH to paint for three 1xx point models in ETL! An eradicator with a dozer blade would have been the same points value for 1/5 the effort!

If I knew my vow for the Guard was going to be laughed at, I would have stuck with my Iron Hands. I'm sure whatever the vow there would also have been inadequate. As it stands, there will be no vow. The fun has already been sucked-out from the event for me, thank you kindly. I'm not a "tread head" so tanks and their ilk were out for me. What could I do to help out the Guard? Paint some guardsmen, of course! If I'm going to be belittled for my efforts then you shall see none. Yeah, 500 or so points is a drop in the bucket for this event. Big whoop. That's what I could do. I don't build or paint "lousy" models just for the hell of it.

I'll approach the hobby any way I see fit and you can move right along and push someone else's head in the mud. This was an opportunity to build someone up, not down. Maybe you care or maybe it's just empty negativity spewing forth. I highly doubt you care that you missed a great moment to build someone's forward momentum in the hobby, but I don't know you nor would I like to.

He has a good pt, let people paint what they want. Every little bit counts, and you laugh at him for helping the guard cause? ETL is about everyone getting something painted and being proud about it. So March10k start encouraging and learn about the spirit of ETL(Its not about the win, but the community coming together and painting). Mehman, I would love to see your guard painted happy.png

With allies like these, chaos does not even have to fight. You all will tear each other down sad.png

We don't laugh at small vows at the ETL, we encourage each other. Don't let a comment rob you of a great experience. I hope you recosider and you know what, if the good Captain allows a Knight, I'll try to shake my wallet for the money for a knight so we both have hughe Knights to impress the others with. If you get stuck you can count on me and the other Guards to encourage you to push forwards.

EDIT: Spelling and removed one word

Calm down everyone, march is just laughing at the sheer volume of infantry models he has awaiting paint that's all. It's objectively true that Guardsmen are an inefficient vow, for about the same work as a Marine you get a fraction of the points. Does that matter though? Not at all as you paint the models you have and the models you want to paint.

All vows matter here, we're taking part in a community drive to clear your model backlog. That's how it's always been and always will be for the Guard as long as I am here. Check out last year's ETL and you'll find Guardsmen turning up - from the commissariat no less. Paint what you like, the commissariat only asks demands that you finish them in time ;)

So to return to the topic at hand - I have a Knight too, so perhaps this will be the boot up the backside I need to get cracking on it if they're valid?

6 points a model for an infantryman who can easily have a more complex paint scheme than any Spehss Murheen one, that way lies perdition. If you absolutely must vow infantry for ETL, make it smart...working on three infantry squads? Vow the three heavy weapons as a heavy weapons squad! Vow the three special weapons, plus a sergeant and one rifleman as a company command squad...you get the idea! But for the love of Him-on-Earth, save the assembly-line painting of bog stock riflemen in their legions for another time!

At the other end of things, with the leman russ kit being VASTLY simplified as compared to when I started on this hobby, you can poop out a single model worth as many points as ten space marines in about three hours, and that's to a good standard, not a "three color minimum!" That way lies glory.

In other words, approach the hobby with the long view in mind...paint the stuff that has a high points/effort ratio during ETL, and then fill in with the less sexy models before next year's competition. I messed up big time last year, spending 75% of my ETL effort on three lousy valkyries...great models, but WAY TOO MUCH to paint for three 1xx point models in ETL! An eradicator with a dozer blade would have been the same points value for 1/5 the effort!

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Mehman. March wasn't belittling you, he was giving generic advice. It wasn't bad advice either, just not applicable to every ETL entrant. He wasn't saying don't paint infantry or that people who paint infantry shouldn't vow, he was saying vow smart - get the most amount of points for your time invested. That's the general advice every forum gives for every ETL. If last year you did Iron Hands then last year I said exactly the same thing to you while I was helping lead the Codex Astartes forums for ETL. My post is still around somewhere, you can go check it out if you want.

Let's take a step back, look again at what people have been writing and see it's not saying anyone's vow is worthless or that we should only paint vehicles.... and most importantly that we are all on the same side. Every vow counts, big or small, infantry or vehicle, Ratling or Knight. Nobody will be looked down upon for doing smaller vows or painting what they want, even if it isn't the most time-efficient way of generating points. We all realise that the event is primarily to get people, as a community, to paint their models. The event has a competitive side and we'll do all we can to make sure our chosen faction does well, but that's secondary to personal enjoyment and satisfaction of painting the models. Any advice, like March's, is just that, advice. It's for those who really enjoy the competitive side and want to do everything they can to earn the Custos Fidei. For those of us who enjoy painting our models regardless of their points value, then that advice can be ignored. We'll still be contributing and believe me, those contributions are still very much appreciated. Every single completed vow helps massively to get the Guard where they should be, at the top smile.png.

In March's defense, his point is fair. For example, avoid painting 50 Conscripts because that's a whole lotta work at 150pts. However, if that's the vow you wanna commit, then every little helps.

Tanks and other vehicles give you the most bang for your buck if you have them, though. :)

Over the past 7/8 months I've not been able to paint or assemble anything due to moving around a lot with work but as soon as July hits.....BAM!!! I'll be back to normal!

But just because I've not been painting doesn't mean I've not been massing a large force together...mmmm tanks lots of tanks and other goodies. Until then I'll be watching from the shadows.......

The point of me starting this post was to help get people motivated so we can aim to have 100% completion while having a FUN time!!!

Mehman join us and don't get put off by crossed wires. Whatever models you have that need painting will be welcome. :)

+DAN+ I'll be looking forward to seeing them progress.

As long as you don't miss the initial vowing deadline +DAN+! For all the new recruits, if you thought the commissariat was bad before you've not seen anything yet. You will be seeing commissars and paints in your sleep! :lol:;)

No fear of that brother!

Missing out on all the awesome I.G painting challenges has been tough so I won't miss the ETL.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Mehman. March wasn't belittling you, he was giving generic advice. It wasn't bad advice either, just not applicable to every ETL entrant. He wasn't saying don't paint infantry or that people who paint infantry shouldn't vow, he was saying vow smart - get the most amount of points for your time invested. That's the general advice every forum gives for every ETL. If last year you did Iron Hands then last year I said exactly the same thing to you while I was helping lead the Codex Astartes forums for ETL. My post is still around somewhere, you can go check it out if you want.

Let's take a step back, look again at what people have been writing and see it's not saying anyone's vow is worthless or that we should only paint vehicles.... and most importantly that we are all on the same side. Every vow counts, big or small, infantry or vehicle, Ratling or Knight. Nobody will be looked down upon for doing smaller vows or painting what they want, even if it isn't the most time-efficient way of generating points. We all realise that the event is primarily to get people, as a community, to paint their models. The event has a competitive side and we'll do all we can to make sure our chosen faction does well, but that's secondary to personal enjoyment and satisfaction of painting the models. Any advice, like March's, is just that, advice. It's for those who really enjoy the competitive side and want to do everything they can to earn the Custos Fidei. For those of us who enjoy painting our models regardless of their points value, then that advice can be ignored. We'll still be contributing and believe me, those contributions are still very much appreciated. Every single completed vow helps massively to get the Guard where they should be, at the top smile.png.

My grandfather taught me many things in life. One of those things was, when you're wrong, admit it.

March, if I misunderstood you, then what I said has no merit. From my angle and the year I've been having (losing a gaming group for people actually belittling people), it seemed like what you said was an attack. If it was not a jab at me and my vow, I apologize deeply because, even if they didn't, words have a way of digging into people's hide and festering.

With all that said, accept this smiley face as a peace offering: smile.png

EDIT: I would also apologize to the other members of the Guard. My actions were rash and foolish since my dumb noggin can't wrap around a bit of advice that was offered freely. I shall flog myself later as penance for even thinking I wouldn't join everyone in the ETL.

My grandfather taught me many things in life. One of those things was, when you're wrong, admit it.

March, if I misunderstood you, then what I said has no merit. From my angle and the year I've been having (losing a gaming group for people actually belittling people), it seemed like what you said was an attack. If it was not a jab at me and my vow, I apologize deeply because, even if they didn't, words have a way of digging into people's hide and festering.

With all that said, accept this smiley face as a peace offering: smile.png

EDIT: I would also apologize to the other members of the Guard. My actions were rash and foolish since my dumb noggin can't wrap around a bit of advice that was offered freely. I shall flog myself later as penance for even thinking I wouldn't join everyone in the ETL.

Then your Grandfather was a great man :). I wouldn't sweat it too much though, misunderstanding someone is one of the easiest things to do on the internet, second only to finding pictures of wee furry xenos with amusing captions written in non-standard Gothic.

Hmmm ... Just going back on what I managed to do with previous ETL's. I will not manage to get anywhere near the 5,796 points of wolves I completed in ETL II. I can't even imagine how many models that would entail when doing guard. Even if it was mainly tanks it would be a daft number. I definitely don't have that many points knocking around even in my collection.

I'm more likely to try and beat the 1,670 points I did last year for the HH forum in ETL III. Will be a push but hopefully doable.

Anyone else have any personal goals they want to aim for?

As always my goal is to finish in time and be happy with the painting and what I have accomplished. I don't aim for any points, but I do my part in reaching the 100 percent completions. But it is not a personal goal it is more of a collevtive goal.

Won't be able to match the volume of models I did last year, but want to keep 100% vow success, and complete at least two vows and more points in total towards the cause.

A platoon all based and painted instead of a little here and there would be nice. I might try out some fancy base work on the heavy weapon teams.
Did almost the same last year Mehman. Gives your army a good boost.

A platoon all based and painted instead of a little here and there would be nice. I might try out some fancy base work on the heavy weapon teams.
Did almost the same last year Mehman. Gives your army a good boost.

Sounds good. Getting a unit completed for the guard is more of a challenge than a full army for some other armies!!! So many men to work through. Will look forward to seeing how you progress!!!

Curses. Tzeentch's plan to drive you in to infighting and possible revenge vows on each other as Renegades and Heretics has failed.....

... Or has it?devil.gif

More chaos, Roland I thought I task you with messing with the Black Templar, what happened?

Anyway ETL will be a good show this year.

If the none marine forces stay as a single entity then the new releases for the admec should boost numbers nicely. I think the ones to watch are the HH lot though. They've gone from strength to strength.

However the guard will aim for 100% awesome sauce no matter what volume of pledges we give!!!

Archived