15th Black Crusade(AKA ETL)

Uprising

Brothers and Sisters of chaos, soon ETL will be upon us(its mid year-ish).  We were the champions last year, and broke out of the gates of B&C.  Now we head to holy B&C(aka our version of terra).  But, now our enemies know of our powers and prepare themselves.  The guard have started amassing their baneblades, the sons of mars prepare to defend themselves with either new toys, the followers of the codex prepare themselves by reading, Black Templar are copying our crusades, the wolves brush their fur as the dark angels wash their dresses, and ghosts of 30k keep returning to challenge our rule!!!  Now is the time to prepare, build our models, to ready our supplies of paint and glue, and begin tallying our warbands.  This is our year, our 15th Black Crusade, the year where a faction reach over 100,000 pts painted.  Let this be the year we reach 200,000 pts of painted miniatures.  We must come together and conquers the slaves of the corpse god and release them from their shackles. 

Know show me what you have plan this year for the chaos gods!

To begin: 

2 Daemon Princes

1 Maulerfiend

1 Forgefiend

And maybe a 1000 points of Nurgle Daemons if I will be still doing the commission by the time ETL hits. I hope to reach at least 1500 points this year and hopefully more. 

I was hoping to get my Kickstarter pledge for creature caster, but it doesnt look that that will happen soon enough :(

I have:

1 Scabbiethrax (the FW GUO)

1 GUO

2 Daemon Princes

6 plague Drones

and a bazillion R&H/cultists if I have the time.

If I get my pledge thats another GUO and DP to the list.  I've been prepping for an entire year since I was only worth about 500 pts last year.  Will do more for the dark gods!

Brass Scorpion, Biker Lord + Bikers, Jump Pack Sorcerer and Chosen + Rhino. That's Vow 1, Vow 2 is dependent on several things, namely time and if I get a bit of spare hobby money, in which case it'll be a converted Fire Raptor and/or Alpha Legion Obliterators. Odds of a Vow 3 are slim, as those two vows will complete my first two Legion armies, and the next one needs a massive amount of conversion work.

A couple of things regarding possible winning strategies: first off, we're unlikely to have the megavows of last year, firstly because I think Steve and Fasha painted everything they own for ETL III, and secondly because I have a feeling there may be a points limit on each vow this time around. Probably something generous like 5000, but a limit nonetheless, just to stop the swinginess of megavows being a thing. That said, even without them we'd have been second by 307 points, so the Captain may well leave well alone.

I liked the 'everyone paint a Cypher' thing from last year, and would like to modify it slightly: if you're entering the ETL this year, paint a character or a Helbrute. We had 64 people enter last year, a character or Helbrute from each of them, even with no other vows, would have been ~ 6500-7000 points, taking into account upgrade costs. That's a pretty solid base to work from, and lets face it, one model isn't much of an ask.

I just ran some maths, and if all the people that entered for us other than steve and Fasha had painted 949 points worth of stuff, we'd have still won with the megavows on top. That's gotta be do-able this time around, especially with the Daemonkin codex imminent.

For those of you reading this who have only joined in the last year and are thinking 'what the hell is an ETL and why should I care?', in Captain Sempers words:

E TENEBRAE LUX (ETL) is an open-for-all event that aims to motivate the frater to build up their armies in solid blocks while cultivating member interaction within individual forums as well as on a cross-forum level. ETL is designed to play down the inherent disadvantage of low traffic of some forums, levelling out as much as possible the chance of victory for all.

The challenge is to paint legal units for your preferred army over a three month period and to the best of your ability. The reward is twofold: a personal and a collective one. On a personal level everyone who completes his/her vows will receive the “Custos Fidei”, the ETL badge of honour – a glorious distinction as veterans of previous ETLs will testify. On a collective level, the faction that cumulatively has the most points painted (as per relevant Codices and Army lists) wins and becomes “Primus Inter Pares” i.e. ETL Champion! In the first ETL the Black Templars emerged victorious totalling 45k pts, while last year, in the second ETL, the Dark Angels took their revenge totalling 58k pts! So who will take title this year? Remember: even a last minute hero may tip the balance!!!

Basically, paint stuff, rack up points, win for the second year in a row because we're just that damn awesome. 

Some general ETL tips, learned by myself last year:

Paint at a rate and volume you find comfortable. No point vowing 10,000 points if you hate mass painting or have fifteen billion other things to do with your time.

Every point counts. The vow of a single Chaos Spawn is just as valid as one of two superheavies plus another 2000.

Check the Strategium thread on a regular basis. The amount of times last year when I was flagging, and I'd log on to see some insane paint job, or steveshields going 'Here's the 7000 points I painted this week' and it'd make me think 'Christ, if they can do that I can paint this Marine' was... oh, at least half a dozen. Also don't be afraid to say that you're having an off day, we're pretty good at keeping the morale high.

Get your initial vow built and undercoated (if possible) before the event starts. Means that if during the first week of the even it rains all the time, you can still get cracking.

Lastly, have fun. It's the whole point of the hobby in the first place, don't sap your joy of the hobby just for a shiny banner.

I've got a good feeling about this year. The road to Terra continues!

Dragonlover

Does ETL follows the guidlnes of other challenges in that you can enter models in any condition up to primed and assembled at the start? If so I will attempt to get some of a Crimson Slaughter expansion box done.

3 Chaos Terminators

1 big bad Chaos Land Raider

Edited due to expecting new son :)

I've been unconsciously preparing... I hope that megavows aren't restricted (as someone who is totally guilty of them and always has been). 

I know that I'm vowing a Warhound Titan, plus a number of other lovely things - I think this would be as good a chance as any to really ramp up the work on my Daemonkin... which have in past been somewhat ignored!

Praise be for a new Khornate Codex!

And if Primarchs are allowed...

I've been unconsciously preparing... I hope that megavows aren't restricted (as someone who is totally guilty of them and always has been). 

I know that I'm vowing a Warhound Titan, plus a number of other lovely things - I think this would be as good a chance as any to really ramp up the work on my Daemonkin... which have in past been somewhat ignored!

The thing is, I reckon it'll be a case of X points maximum per vow. If, as I surmised earlier, the limit is 5000, that's still a maximum of 25,000 points per player. Hmm, I may revise my estimate to 3000

I don't see Primarchs being allowed. Not in any of our books, for starters...

Dragonlover

The thing is, I reckon it'll be a case of X points maximum per vow. If, as I surmised earlier, the limit is 5000, that's still a maximum of 25,000 points per player. Hmm, I may revise my estimate to 3000

I don't see Primarchs being allowed. Not in any of our books, for starters...

Dragonlover

I know, was perhaps wishful thinking - I've got a stack to paint and you know how well this motivates me :lol:

If the limit is 5000 a vow... 25,000 it is :lol:

Actually, I probably better check - I think I might struggle to get 25k of just Chaos left to paint...

I was thinking I need to work out the best £££ to Points ratio possible, whilst minimising the model count.

For example, the new Khorne Daemonkin offers some potential via Bloodcrushers or even Bloodletters (simpler paint job)

Another idea is to keep using normal Space Marines as the base model, and add Chaos backpacks. The lack of baroque channels on the legs definitely speeds up the painting time, without significantly sacrificing overall model quality.

I was thinking I need to work out the best £££ to Points ratio possible, whilst minimising the model count.

For example, the new Khorne Daemonkin offers some potential via Bloodcrushers or even Bloodletters (simpler paint job)

Haha, for people buying specifically for it? Dedication!

I just want SlaveToDarkness to base his models this year :P

I'm with Lucio, while I've not bought my stuff specifically for the ETL, its not like I get any painting done the rest of the time. Plus it looks like I'm gonna have to buy six Marine bikes anyway.

Dragonlover

Another idea is to keep using normal Space Marines as the base model, and add Chaos backpacks. The lack of baroque channels on the legs definitely speeds up the painting time, without significantly sacrificing overall model quality.

Just get a box of termi, and have each be a termi lord.  Or get a fex boxes of jugger and a zerkers then make lords(I have nine jugger lord planned for this year). 

I am prepared.

1 Chaos Lord (Dark Vengeance set)

26 Converted Chosen 

1 converted chaos lord on a converted palanquin of nurgle (a pile of dead spacemarines) 

2 vindicators

1 Landraider Phobos

1 Helbrute

36 Cultists

Khârn the Betrayer

Ok, I'd like to say this now, especially for those thinking of taking part for the first time...

The ETL is to encourage and motivate members to complete additions to your army with a little friendly competition. Everything is of value so don't feel that you have to paint the highest points you can to take part.

Now let's prepare some amazing models :tu:

Forté is right, the true enemy is yourself - your model backlog and snatching the time for your hobby. I don't think any of us can claim we paint as many of our models as we should tongue.png So make your vow no matter how small and see it done!

I will of course be leading the Guard, but I will be returning to my Chaos Marines soon enough smile.png I hope you all paint your vows up to a lovely standard... on the day after the deadline laugh.pngmsn-wink.gif

I will of course be leading the Guard, but I will be returning to my Chaos Marines soon enough smile.png I hope you all paint your vows up to a lovely standard... on the day after the deadline laugh.pngmsn-wink.gif

Guard can be traitors too ;)

Does it matter if parts of my entry are already primed or partially painted? 

unpainted, primed, or just a single color(I think), is fine. 

Unless the rules change, normally a state of not being near completion is fine. 

As I'm a resurrector of models, I've often vowed models which are fully painted... before utterly changing the scheme - either by stripping or a total repaint (depending on model and thickness of prior layers).

Archived