Mitsman's Ultramarines blog of awesomeness (Intercessors).

Mitsman

Hey Sagentus,

Thanks for the comments. To be frank I hoped you would say one of the other two shoulder pads since, although I can easily do the 2nd company stripe on the scroll pad, the skull and eagle wings is something I have never tried and will probably mess up. Concerning the sword pose I think the more aggresive stance with the sword out is fititing the character of Sicarius better (and my wife likes it better too so there is no more discussion, lol).

Mitsman

Hi guys,

@ The_Stray_Idea: Thanks Stray, I think it is one of my best models to date and it really was very quickly done too. If I had to choose one vehicle ever it whould be this.

@ Sagentus: So simple an idea yet so elegant! This is fantastic advice. I will do both and choose at the end! Of course the sword will go as the Lady of the House commands... Got to keep her pleased eh?

Mitsman

• 4 months later...

Hi ladies and gentlemen.

Happy New Year to eveyone and merry painting!

Having eaten quite and lot and drunk too much I think something's wrong with me. Well for one I finished two more characters after being busy a lot with work and losing free time for a while again, but the craziest thing of all is the project I have undertaken to finish till the morning of the 13th of January (yes 2018...).

You will have to forgive me for the lack of quality photos as my workroom is a mess and there is tools and stuff everywhere!

So, first the finished characters.

Captain Aias or Ajax for the non-Greek speakers. He sports a relic blade and a pistol in his pistol holster. He is quite the duelist as the pose suggests. He will also do quite well as a Sicarius counts as.

7nFyfS5.jpg

cFk0SZw.jpg

Next is lieutenant Nestor, a primaris marine promoted to second in command of the 2nd company lately, having provem his worth in a duel with a chaos champion when a rapid insertion went very wrong. His self-sacrifise and tactical moves lead the half of the company in his command to the safety extraction point with zero casualties after an ambush by black legion traitors!

RTglgoN.jpg

WvL6u7M.jpg

My only disatisfaction with him is that I tried to take a shortcut using the lieutenant transfer on him and it did not go as well as I planned. The transfer did not get soft no matter the amounts of decal softener I used...

And now the rest of the unfinished project.

ZbozXcu.jpg

ZRCO2qC.jpg

blFKeuD.jpg

YES that is a Spartan, an Achiles, an Eagle and a THUNDERHAWK! And I need to have everything painted to an ok standard for a 70.000 pts, all painted to crazy standard, WYSIWYG apocalypse event for 30k.

Am I nuts or just unfortunate?

Mitsman

Thanks Onyx,

I try my best lately to improve and do work faster. Nowadays the airbrush gets lots of attention...

As for Aias' pose, well this specific marine screams confidence already but I just had to boost it a bit more...!

Mitsman

Madness update 1.

All the blues are done!

I used Macragge Blue for the first layer which I like not to coat heavily on the model, so it is darker that normal. I pass a second layer to strenthen the blue and use it as a first layer of highlight.

Then comes the black lining that is not so much needed due to the previous process.

Finally comes the Altdorf Guard Blue in two gradual layers to finish the highlights.

Heaving finished that, I realised why everyone masks the model for the basic colours... Black coating the later to be metal parts is tedious as hell! Oh well now I cannot reverse time, can I? Lesson learned for next time I suppose!

Right now I am recoating black wherever is going to be metal later on.

The idea is to finish the blues in the weekend, pack up the airbrush, and then during the week, finish the black recoating, finish the basic metals and final blue highlights with the brush. The weathering and various stripes or markings will have to wait after the battle as I will need to have finished all this in order to be accepted for the game.

The thunderhawk base will be a bit strange as I have a very nice round mdf board to hold the gunship but I do not want to drill a big hole under the hull. The intent here is to stick a magnet under each landing pad (I modelled it landed) and have a plexiglass rod under each pad. I have no idea if the 3 magnets will hold the gunship in position but if I find a better idea later on I think this will be the easiest to undo. What do you think?

Wish me luck!

Mitsman

Madness update 2.

The vehicles look like they are painted!!!

Most of metalics are applied and some golds too (for that 3rd colour, lol). Not much to write about you can see yourselves the progress on the painting side of things.

For the thunderhawk base I drilled the 3 holes and had some masonry putty applied to make a uniform surface for sand and rocks.

I think I will make it on time!

Sorry for the pic low quality but there is not more I can do at the moment.

phH5fiL.jpg

SSCAQMo.jpg

evEZhbT.jpg

6xx4ine.jpg

Mitsman

Madness update 3

Hey all. Today and tomorrow are the last days. I am close to finishing the flying base of the thunderhawk. All guns and missiles are attached and glued. A few touch ups are needed but in general I think I can call the vehicles "Table ready". While these are almost complete, I will also have to pack up everything else for the battle (custom box for TH is done), prepare an army list (almost done) and clean up all the mess I have done in my mancave or else... (wife is waiting with a hammer...)

Photographs are going to be taken tomorrow after the mess is cleaned up and there is enough space cleared for some more decent photos.

Of course the vehicles will be worked a lot more in the following months as they are hardly finished for my tastes and I am only embarashed to call them done seeing all the quality paintings around here in B&C.

Of course I will take photos of the apocalypse game and try (and fail?) to write a summary report for you all.

Mitsman

Hey guys.

This is the last part of the madness session with pictures of the game itself, a 30k apocalypse game of 43.000pts+ PER SIDE!

The table was ready from the previous day so things where quite easy for when the guests arrived. The plan was to have everyone there by 09:00 in the morning with deployment and preparations done by 11:00. Well life is as you know it and there was a delay so deployment was ready by 12:00.

The table was setup in a big corner with two sections a) the city outskirts, a desert desolation with small hills and several defensive structures, and b) the city itself with quite a lot of medium sized buildings.

As seen from the pictures there was not a lot of empty space remaining after both sides deployed…

I will not bother you with lots of details, there was so much going on that it was impossible to keep notes on what happened on each little section every turn, so I will give you some facts and highlights.

• The game lasted 5 complete turns.
  • The loyalist side had Ferrus as its warlord accompanied by Vulkan, while the traitor side had Horus as the warlord aided by Mortarion and Angron.
  • 5 super heavies per side with only one D weapon in all game (the Thunderhawk)!
  • Loyalist super heavies were the Thunderhawk, a Mastodon, a Fellblade, a Stormblade and a Glaive.
  • Traitor side super heavies included a pair Typhons and a Baneblade.
  • Victory went to the side with the most victory points.
  • There were six objectives per side and each objective gave you a victory point if you controlled it at the very beginning of your turn.
  • Victory points were also scored for each killed primarch (1vp), the warlord (1vp), 1vp for each destroyed superheavy of up to 9 hull points, and 1vp for each 10 hull points thereafter (a 25hp superheavy awarded 3vps)
  • The Traitor side stole the initiative with the help of Horus and went first!
  • The Mastodon was destroyed on the first turn of the traitors, shot by anything that could hurt it…
  • The traitors sacrificed a lot of dreadnoughts and small units to deny vps on the first turns of the battle and came up ahead quickly.
  • Second turn for Loyalists all flyers came from reserves and started shooting tanks. The Thunderhawk destroyed Angron’s Spartan and allowed the loyalists to kill half of his bodyguard early.
  • Horus and Abaddon arrived with full ten man terminator bodyguards!
  • A big duel between Vulkan and Angron started in the traitor 3rd turn and things were balanced.
  • The duel ended quickly once Horus joined the fight…
  • The loyalist airforce destroyed a lot of tanks.
  • The Thunderhawk executed one big tank (Spartan or Typhon per turn more or less) while adding damage with its secondary guns all around.
  • Did I mention that the loyalist airforce led by my Thunderhawk did well?
  • The game ended fully around 23:00 with the loyalist side turning the tide on the last couple of turns and winning with a score of 28 to 22 or something…!

All in all the game was absolutely mental on the scale it was played on, the guys that invited me were all very good chaps that I would love to play again with and it was a blast playing with 86.000pts of fully painted minis on a huge table with fully painted terrain.

To the guys from the club if you read, thank you so much for the honour you did to me playing at your place and I hope I have more painted stuff for a future battle if I am invited again.

I will leave you now with pictures of the event.

ul5Cnso.jpg

TxnYrt4.jpg

8Zl4QGt.jpg

AFdo85h.jpg

b9jrJ1K.jpg

hzuWfxh.jpg

dB6Ptcb.jpg

aOkzuYG.jpg

XO6cgRW.jpg

UVYT36l.jpg

sOiGibD.jpg

Mitsman

Hey Sagentus,

Thanks! I will post more pics of my units soon. I already have started further work on the Spartan and once I finish it I will move to the Eagle. These guys have made me want topaint even more. I even consider getting the B@C set for more 30k goodness!

Mitsman

Greetings Brother..... This is the first chance I've had to look at your post and I must say that I'm loving it:thumbsup: You've got a great level of consistency in quality. I really like the mix of models, from old to new. Very nice!

Hi guys,

As I told you above, I have been working on the Spartan and also promised pictures to Sagentus. Well the tank is mostly complete with only the lenses needing some wotk.

After these I would like to finish it off with a couple of transfers and some light weathering.

dvceFn2.jpg

zbT4pg3.jpg

eZ30iNQ.jpg

The problem is I have no idea what transfers to use and on which area as they all seem too busy. The weathering will include some dusts from Forgeworld on the tracks and the lower hull with some scrutches of the paint on various places. Some black soot around the exhausts and grils would also seem fine I suppose.

@Sagentus: WIP pics arrived! I will talk next week with my FLGS to see if the still have the B@C box in stock. Damn I cannot paint models faster than I accumulate them...!

@Brother Sefiel: My awe was even bigger when all the tanks and troops were layed out before me. It was GLORIOUS!!!

@Brother Lunkhead: I always feel nice when I hear that people like my models. I cannot ever reach the level that a lot of people already display around here, real life will not allow me, but it is nice to hear that some people find them good enough. Thanks!

So, back to my workstation I go! Byezzz

Mitsman

Ok, I sidetracked a bit today and decided to finish two objectives that have been sitting in my to do shelf for a decade or so...

Objective number 1

jn6HZLz.jpg

PUmCdUF.jpg

Uje3iqd.jpg

A Mechanicum doomsday device, a biological weapon or a lunchbox with extra spicy snacks? Who knows...

Objective number 2

WWwbIWu.jpg

ufzxh5R.jpg

A fallen apothecary's backpack containing precious glands from fallen fellow marines.

Also in today's news:

I decided that in order to apply powders on the Spartan, I will have to secure them with some kind of varnish after spreading them all over. At the moment I only have one can of purity seal so disregarding everyone's advice at the moment I will do this:

I am painting a 2nd edition plastic bolter marine from the starter set as a 5th company member.

Once done I will spray him with varnish in absolutely small bursts from a medium distance away (around 30-40cm).

After a couple of thin coats, I will let it rest for 48 hours. It goes without saying that the can will be shaken so much that it gets dizzy.

If things go well, I might just spray the Spartan afterwards...! Do you think I should do it?

Mitsman

Hey Bjorn,

No actually he has zero parts from Sicarius. If you check some posts earlier he is based on the metal masters of the chapter. Here is a linky for you!

The parts used were the master of the chapter, parts from the plastic Ultramarines upgrade kit, assault squad arm and sternguard shoulder pad.

The base is custom. A 25mm slotta base glued on a 32mm base surrounded with gravel, cork and other debris. I specifically do it this way since I have a lot of metal minis and directly fitting them on a 32mm base is a needless pain. I do this of course for all characters now as they look better on the 32s but have kept all other infantry on the original 25s.

Mitsman

Hey Augustus,

Thanks for the kind words but I am still quite a long way to reach the quality you present. That blue on your night lords spartan is amazing.

Oh well more practise I suppose. Any tips for that blue? With an ultramarines shade of course, do not think for an instance that I envy the night lords blue!!! :biggrin.:, that would be HERESY!

Also that apocalypse game was a blast! I would seriously suggest anyone that can gather friends together to try it, 4 people would be enough with 4-5k points per player.

Try it, you know you want to!

Mitsman

Good morning, to everyone this side of the sun...

I finished a little side project today, stuff sitting on my to do shelf for a very long time (as in years).

The teleport homer from the terminator sprue and a servo skull for the second squad of devastators. I know it is not much but sometimes you got to keep going even on fumes...

WPNogvO.jpg

nP1f97d.jpg

On other news I have undercoated my tactical indomitus squad which has been modeled... well no more talk about how much stuff I have unfinished.

ggNHcyK.jpg

I painted that teleport homer to push myself to paint the terminators. Six members because I want to use them in both 40K and 30K and the assault cannon is not available to Ultramarines. There is one guy added from the space hulk termies which I particularly liked and added to the squad. The rest of the space hulk minis will be spread around the other squads I am modeling.

Mitsman

Archived