Loadout Help With Ravenwing

Volt

Alright, so I just got my Ravenwing Battleforce shipment today to start a Dark Angels army, and my first question is what weapons should I stick on the Land Speeder and the Attack Bike? Also I'm suffering confusion from the bikes itself, as I checked the Codex and it lists meltaguns and plasma guns as options, but none came with the kit.

You have to find some meltaguns.

I'd take two meltaguns, a multimelta attack bike and a Typhoon Missile Launcher with the speeder.

Oh that's just wonderful. All my bits are chaos.

If it helps, the Dark Angels Company Veterans box has a DA upgrade sprue and a special weapons sprue from the Tactical box.  Even if you're not doing foot troops there are plenty of hoods, shoulder pads, weapons etc. that make the Vets box worth it to trick out a battle force, in my opinion.

For the attack bike I think it is always multi-melta. The heavy bolter just doesn't do enough for the points and if you really wanted one there are other, cheaper/better platforms to put it on. Besides if you are using a banner of devastation in your list, volume of bolter fire is not going to be a problem.

For the land speeder I prefer the Typhoon configuration although arguments could be made for the other set ups. It provides additional anti-tank and provides some level of additional mitigation as a result of being able to fight from range. Rushing a flamer or multi melta speeder into rapid fire range makes it a suicide unit, and I would rather kill units from range than forcibly sacrifice my own in exchange.

As for the ravening bikes I keep them stock because I use them in a banner of devastation list. The salvo mode from the banner gives me a fire power advantage against tac squads and the like at 12" plus so I don't like rushing my fragile gun line 6" away from the enemy to try and get a meltagun shot off. Melta squads are a pretty common load out but I just don't like losing my mobility and sacrificing my shots off to get it. 

UM

ATTACK BIKES

The attack bike should take a MM, as the scout move or outflank will get it in possition to stall the enemy advance or quickly dispatch key vehicles.

Heavy bolters have the range and don't need to be on a 12 movement relentless base that can scout or outflank.

But on the other hand if you are facing lots of orks on foot, the MM is next to useless.

And vs. MC it is a toss up, the MM is more likely to wound and ignor it's armor, but has no chance to cripple or kill it in one turn.

LAND SPEEDERS - what others do.

The weapon load out on the speeder is not as clear cut as the above posts make it out to be.

A great deal of that decision is based on the rest of your list... which might be a given for those above.

But may give you bad information without knowing what direction you plan to take your army.

That being said if your plan is to take lots and lots of bikes, Sammie on his weaker jetbike platform, a RWCS with Banner of Devistation, plus something to make this list your own and finally 1-3 speeders.

Well then, YES, the TML is the best choice.

Keep them in the back, pair it with a HB and shoot away while the rest of your army pushes forward.

Target transports to get the squishy bits out in the open so the banner of devistation can do its job.

LAND SPEEDERS - what I do.

I generally play with a LOT of speeders.... 9 or 10 usually.

When you take that many speeders the other options start to really shine... well one in particular.

The MM / AC option fills in an area that really supports the rest of the army.

MM AB take out AV 13-14, but you can only have 5 or 6 and it usually takes 2 or 3 to deal with their target. The MM / AC speeder can deal with AV 14 and really shines vs. AV 12.

RWCS take out 2+ and are good in CC, but can't be everywhere, and since you are draging the rest of your army with them, do you really want to run your entire army into CC with TDA models with them.

The MM / AC speeder can deal with TDA units very effectively, generally killing 2 models w/o SS or 1 w/ SS. That doesn't sound like much, but 2 of these speeders can kill a 5 man unit of TDA without much trouble, meaning that the rest of your army doesn't have to deal with them.

RWBS take out 5+ and weight of fire but are not very good in CC. The MM / AC speeder pops transports and other threats to keep your bikes pumping out as many shoots as possible.

Sammie in his speeder deals with 4+ infantry like a boss, generally killing 5-6 a turn and can deal with tanks. If you only have 1 to 3 other speeders on the table, the Sammie speeder will draw a lot of fire, and so is better on his jetbike protected by RWCS or BK. If he is just 1 of 9 or 10 death dealers on the table, players are far less likely to try to deal with his AV 14 and 4++, when they can deal with a AV 10.

Personally I favor melta over plas, and as the Knights already taking plas, melta spam would probably be my favored strategy, especially with the mobility of bikes to close faster then ground troops (I only see the real use of plasma guns on infantry, as unless they hitch a ride in a rhino or razorback, they can't close fast enough to put that meltagun to use in time). What's the most efficient means to assemble a squad of Ravenwing however? Six bikes, an attack bike, and a Landspeeder TML? While it'd certainly take a while to get to 2k points thanks to money lol, 2k is definitely the limit I'd want for an army size given its average-ness.

And yeah, my plan is a full Ravenwing army with the Dakka Banner, with Sammy backed up by Knights. Maybe also ally with something like Iron Hands for Centurion Grav Spam with a Librarian or an Imperial Knight.

Archived