Army building confusion - allies etc

Valkyrion

Sorry for the vague wording, I'm not really sure how to explain it...

Are you bound by compulsory unit choices when choosing allies?

For instance, I have a Crimson Slaughter Primary with Possessed as troops, and want to ally with Khorne Daemonkin - do I have to take the mandatory unit of possessed?

I guess I do, but with so many different ways of building an army I'm a bit confused.

As an aside, I presume I could still build an Unbound Daemonkin Army without having any possessed at all?

If you want to take the Slaughtercult formation from Daemonkin then you'll have to take all the compulsory units from the Slaughtercult (which does include a unit of Possessed).

A unit can only belong to one detachment or formation.  So any Possessed taken for the Crimson Slaughter Primary Detachment cannot also be part of the Slaughtercult Formation.

As it happens, you could just use the Combined Arms or Allied Detachment Force Organisation Charts for the Daemonkin, at which point you wouldn't have to take the Possessed at all if you didn't want.  You just wouldn't get the detachment special rules that the Slaughtercult Formation offers.

Ok, thanks.

I don't have Daemonkin yet, but I presume it will work in the same way as the Necron Decurion detachment.

So just for clarity;

I want to ally Necrons to my army.

I can just use the Ally FOC if I want with no restrictions beyond that - correct?

Or I could use the Decurion Detachment abiding by all the appropriate restrictions - correct?

If I use the Decurion Detachment then I could also choose a Deathbringer flight if I wanted, points allowing - correct?

But...overall...what you use for constructing your list is between you and your opponent (or decided by the TO if an event).  You decide the points, the restrictions on list building, the date, time, and beer, night fight or not, what scenario/mission, etc.  Forge the Narrative, Baybee! Yeah!

Archived